Thread: Command Thrust

Command Thrust

I just order a new 2017 Ranger RT188 with a 115 Mercury 4 stroke Pro XS that has Command Thrust. What is Command Trust? I believe it is the foot off the 150 but not sure. Any idea why they are requiring it on this motor? Also, will it require a different type/size prop than the standard Mercury 115 4 stroke?

2. Member
    Sounds to me like it is mainly a different gear ratio..I have been looking at smaller motors and have seen it listed....Seems to be really popular with kicker motors on bigger hulls...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnBrqq6p7rw

The prop on the standard 115 and CT are different. I have a NON pro xs 115 CT on my Z6 turning a 25 pitch Fury to 53 in 90 degree heat. I am not sure how a command thrust would perform on a lighter aluminum hull.
    Last edited by johnsobo; 09-13-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The CT gearcase is more robust, and swings a larger (more efficient) prop.

In the right application- it can open up a larger array of suitable props, as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I am hoping my 2017 Ranger RT118C is the right application because CT is all they offer on it. I just ordered the boat this past weekend so it will be a while before I get to try it. After all the info I have seen, I am a bit surprised they made it mandatory on this one because it is a very light boat. My only guess is that it is needed because the front ends rides close to the surface at full blast for some reason and this will give it some rise. I am not sure why it rides close to the water but I have been told it does. Anyway, I am glad I am getting it assuming it is an improvement like they say. Now I just have to somehow figure out what will be the best prop to use on it. I can't find anyone that has experience with it and has tried variations on this type of boat. Hopefully during my eight to ten week waiting period I will figure it out.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It should do very well on that hull.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tnbassin View Post
    I am hoping my 2017 Ranger RT118C is the right application because CT is all they offer on it. I just ordered the boat this past weekend so it will be a while before I get to try it. After all the info I have seen, I am a bit surprised they made it mandatory on this one because it is a very light boat. My only guess is that it is needed because the front ends rides close to the surface at full blast for some reason and this will give it some rise. I am not sure why it rides close to the water but I have been told it does. Anyway, I am glad I am getting it assuming it is an improvement like they say. Now I just have to somehow figure out what will be the best prop to use on it. I can't find anyone that has experience with it and has tried variations on this type of boat. Hopefully during my eight to ten week waiting period I will figure it out.
    Yes this is an odd situation, Up till 2017 model year Ranger was saying their testing of the CT on the RT models did not show any performance improvement and they would not put a CT on them. Now in 2017 that is all you are going to be able to get. The hull hasn't changed so ?

This is a mod V hull and does not have a pad. The first models they built had porpoising problem so they welded trim tabs on the bottom. The combination of mod V and trim tabs contributes to them running very flat to the surface. It also causes them to plane with very little bow rise which isn't a bad thing. Proper pitch and a cupped prop will be the best bet to get the bow up some. However at this time there isn't much experience out there with propping a CT on this hull.