How you guys liking your Nitro Z7 Sport?

I've been back and forth between the Ranger REATA 1850 and the Nitro Z7 Sport for a couple weeks but think I'm finally about ready to buy the Nitro. I'm ok giving up a little quality for $20,000 I'm saving, but with 3 young children I don't want the construction or safety to be one of the areas I compromise. I originally posted in the Nitro forums but was told I may get more feedback over here.

So I've never fished out of or known anyone that owned a Nitro. What do ya'll love about yours? Where are they lacking? What are a few must have upgrades? A big one for me is how is the hull? Tough and durable? Run the boat through lay downs and stumps while trolling or banging into one occasionally idling through a cove? Anyone cracked their hull through normal use? I'd love any feedback at all, the more the better.

I could probably think of a hundred more questions but I'll just leave it there for now. This will be my first boat to purchase so I'm just nervous and want to get it right the first time. Thanks everyone.

2. Member
    Take a look at the Triton Allure..

3. Member
    Go for the better, bigger boat...........like a 288 sport.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=745772
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

4. Member
    Looked at the Stratos 486 SF??

I've got a Z7 Sport and really like it. Since my wife and I cruise local lakes and rivers and she doesn't fish, I needed a Fish n Ski to satisfy us both. I've had mine for about 4 months and have fished and cruised with it. It's a great boat. Mine has the 150 Optimax Pro XS and it has plenty of power. Max speed is about 55 MPH with a full load and full tank. Setup is factory and I haven't tried to make it any faster.

My boat has the 24v Minn Kota and Lowrance depth finder in the dash soon to be upgraded to the Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp Plotter/Fishfinder that's waiting on my workbench. If I were to pick a negative it would be the rod storage. There is 7 or 8 rod storage locations in the floor but, they will not hold 7 ft rods. 6 1/2 OK but, not 7s. The front compartment is adequate for me but definitely not large like a full on bass boat. You have to give up something to get the windshield and extra row of seating. If you will be doing a lot of cruising, I'd suggest the Nitro folding top canvas and the bow cushions.

All in all, I consider the Z7 Sport an excellent boat for my needs. I do tournament fish and also cruise with the wife and it does both to my liking. Good luck with your search.

IMG_1807.JPG

6. Member
    I have a '99 Nitro 185 Sport (18-ft) and still love it. Perfectly safe, stable, dry, and solid. The fishing decks are smaller, but that is a small price to pay for 5 comfy seats behind the windshield (plus 2 on bow if needed). Enjoy!

7. Member
    I have a 2014 that I have complete 3 seasons with. No issues at all. Only complain is there is not much room for rods on the decks compared to my previous boat which was a Nitro Savage 896. I have lots of upgrades like HB 999 in dash, 859 on the bow with 360, Minn Kota #80 Fortrex, backplate, hot foot, hydraulic tilt steering and just added a Talon on a custom bracket. No all the upgrades were on the boat when the photo was taken.

I recommend this boat. Jumps on plan like a tin boat in shallow water, rides pretty good in a moderate chop and tops out at 56mph loaded. Sips fuel and very little oil with the 150 PRO XS.

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    I have a 2014 z7 sport and it's been a pleasure to own so far. Like most others I also had to go for the fish and ski for both fishing and family time. The storage is the only really big downfall but all in all its doable. I have the 150 mercury 4 stroke and have no complaints but I am curious what size props you guys are running to achieve those top speeds? I'm running a 8 inch jp and even with all the adjusting and trial runs I'm topped out at 50 mph wot at 5800 rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by BB' View Post
    I have a 2014 z7 sport and it's been a pleasure to own so far. Like most others I also had to go for the fish and ski for both fishing and family time. The storage is the only really big downfall but all in all its doable. I have the 150 mercury 4 stroke and have no complaints but I am curious what size props you guys are running to achieve those top speeds? I'm running a 8 inch jp and even with all the adjusting and trial runs I'm topped out at 50 mph wot at 5800 rpms.
    My 2014 Z7 Sport has the 150 ProXS 2 stroke. The prop is the factory 21 Tempest Plus and top speed is 55 MPH @ 5500 RPM with full tank, 2 people and light fishing load. Factory motor set-up and no jack plate. I do understand that the 4 stroke motors are a bit slower than the 2 strokes. I do plan to put a 6 inch manual jack plate on mine this coming year and test a 23P prop. Might make it to 60 MPH but, it will be close I think.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info Rkammer.....ya I struggled with making the decision between the 2 and 4 stroke....other than it being a lil slower I am satisfied with the choice so far. I am running a 21 tempest now but may talk to the local prop shop when the time comes and see what they can do for me.