Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    I have had 2 truck campers over the past 15 years. I had a Lance 820 wood frame and now have a Lance 855s 2015 model. I pull a Ranger Z119c Bass boat and have an f-350 Ford with slide in camper package. This setup works well for me. I have traveled from Ohio to south Carolina with no problems running at 70 mph.

2. Member
    I have had a livinlite 8.5 and a host Aspen sb which is a triple slide and put both on a 2500. Livin lite makes a new one that is designed for the 1500's like tundras and f-150's I would look at. They will be pretty bare bones campers but it will be better than a soft side.

3. Member
    +1 on pretty much everything 2100bee said - except I use and like the happi-jac.
    Take the weight police with a grain of salt; but, do not just use TC dry weight when truck shopping.

We have an '05 Dodge 2500 (Hemi) and a Lance 815. We typically haul a 15' enclosed utility
    trailer on our seasonal excursions, but also an R72 Ranger for our fishing outings.
    For 2 people, especially if you do not stay put much (like us), a TC is a great way to go.
    (And yes, you will learn to love Wal-mart, if you do not already. )

We have put over 260,000 miles on the truck and at least 225,000
    on the TC. We have been to all of the lower 48 AND Alaska. Converted the over the cab
    to a king bed - more comfortable than any motel.

We love RV's of all kinds - but a TC fits our restless spirit ...
    (oh, almost forgot - get one with a POTTY !)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

4. Member
    For a 1500 series truck, look into 4wheel campers. They are pop up models as light as 850#'s. Basic sleepers, no bath. Capri campers are hard side models and they also have basic sleepers light enough for 1500 series truck. 90% of the campers manufacturers say are for 1/2 ton trucks, are way over weight. I have a travel Lite 770SL. Supposed to weigh 1335#'s. I added electric jacks for maybe 50 #'s. It tips the scale at 1700 #'s.

5. Banned
    I use my Truck Camper from April until November fishing tournaments. The best thing is you never forget anything and your 5 to 10 minutes from launch site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Really nice set up GreenDragon

7. Banned
    Thank you Bandwagon, I have been to Canada with my truck camper. Beautiful sights.

8. Member
    I did a bunch of research on this a few years ago. I almost pulled the trigger on a camper and I have a2009 GMC sierra1500 with a 5.5 bed . I still kinda wished I did. Here is your three options that I broke it down too.

1. Buy a 2500 and you a tremendous about of options and you can get a hard slide with shower and every option you want and will be safe.

2. Buy a Four Wheel Raven/ Four Wheel Hawk for a 5.3. They are the lightest on the market. Depending on options and year 8-20 grand. If you look at it over a 5 year period it will easily pay for itself. I was was spending the money every month in hotels and that was pesonal. http://www.fourwh.com . The challenge is finding one with an ac unit. You can order new one with it. These camper are made out of aluminum fram. You can get them pretty loaded and it will sleep two people pretty comfortably

3. My tournament partners got married and had a kid and that means he smoke for awhile. I bout a truck bed camper shell for my truck and now I sleep in my truck on an air mattress https://www.walmart.com/ip/AirBedz-T...&wl13=&veh=sem

i rigged an board that's slide in between the tailgate with a AC unit. I also rigged a a heater for the winter, I am 6'4 and I sleep great in there. I want to build a platform or buy decked system for it. This is the key. You need to be able to slide stuff underneath the bed while camping.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123