Talon 3rd Stage Latch - Purpose?

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the 3rd stage latch on a 10ft Minn Kota talon?

This is the small spring loaded plastic latch on the bottom of the 3rd stage. It can be seen from the outside of the unit.

The one on my left talon has broken, the plastic piece broke along with the metal spring clip.

The talon (laid flat in the garage) still deploys correctly, spike 1st, then 2nd stage, then 3rd stage. It retracts the same.

I need to know if I must replace it immediately, or if it can wait.

2. Member
    Did you ever get a response on this? I have the same exact question. The plastic piece hasn't broke, but the metal spring clip has.

3. Member
    It is a mechanical latch that keep the stages 2, 3 from sliding down when you encounter rough water or road bumps. The 2nd and 3rd stages each have one. The way it works is when you deploy the Talon the 1st stage(spike extends), then the 2nd stage extends and then the 3rd. when the Spike is fully extended it releases the 2nd stage safety latch. When the second stage gets fully extend it releases the 3rd stage latch so it can extend. So if you encounter problems with the 3rd or 2nd stage coming out on it own or coming out prematurely then it the safety latches are the issue. The Talon should be inspected on a regular base to ensure that no mud or sand has accumulated around the safety latch. It should be cleaned and lubed with Pledge furniture wax on a regular base. Every 3rd or 4th trip. More frequent if you fish muddy bottoms.

4. Member
    I know this is a super old thread. I was wondering though if anyone knew how to replace the metal spring and clip. I have searched everywhere for a how to. I have the parts already.

5. Member
    Below is the illustration of the third stage and the parts you need. I think the instructions are with the part. You can see how it is configured for instillation.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P..._Three_Parts/y