Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Some dealers won't charge anything. It only takes about 15 minutes.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Some dealers won't charge anything. It only takes about 15 minutes.
    I would not make that expectation, however.

Dealers have invested a significant amount of money in that system... and will normally charge to do this, especially where they are not performing the actual repairs to the engine.

.7 hrs is the normal flat-rate for basic Computer Diagnostic System procedures.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would not make that expectation, however.

Dealers have invested a significant amount of money in that system... and will normally charge to do this, especially where they are not performing the actual repairs to the engine.

.7 hrs is the normal flat-rate for basic Computer Diagnostic System procedures.
    Thank you for posting this and one reason you get all my Mercury business. I would be more than willing pay .7 hour rate. My local Mercury dealer has a 2.5 hour minimum labor charge. That makes an Oil Prime sequence bill well north of $300.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 09-14-2016 at 09:35 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    2010 225 Pro SX SN# 1B802915

This leaking oil pump situation is has got me. Mercury won't admit that there is a problem with this part, has everyone contacted mercury service (920)929-5040. If your oil pump is leaking or have had one leaking no matter the year of your motor needs to flood them with phone calls. I had mine replaced to a tune of $675 plus. I got the old pump and took it apart and found a o-ring which was allowing oil to leak. A $.050 cent o-ring cause me to spend many bucks. Mercury has got to recognize that they are ripping us their customers off by not admitting that an inferior o-ring or under sized o-ring is the cause of the oil leaks. If you pump is not pumping that is another issue. I have just purchased a pak of 25 viton o-rings for $13.60 plus shipping that will be less than $1.00 each.. to fix a $675.70 replacement pump. Someone else here replaced the o-ring for a fix of the oil leak. That Viton material o-ring will stand up to the oil and take up to 400 deg f so it will do the job. I'll buy me a top of the line rod and reel with the money saved.

Do you have the specs on the o-ring?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Member
    I'll let you know after I receive them and have one in place.
    Last edited by hekistner; 09-17-2016 at 09:40 PM.

7. Member
    Got the O-Rings and have installed 1 in the pump and re-assembled. It fit perfect the cross section of the replacement is slightly larger an I'm sure it will seal and stop the oil leak. The O-Ring is a BrownChemical-ResistantViton®FluoroelastomerThese O-rings offer excellent resistance to boric acid, citric acid, isopropyl alcohol,fuels, and transmission fluids. Temperature range is -10°to 400° F. Durometer is A75 (medium). with a cross-section of .103 x 1.487 ID x 1.693 OD. McMaster Carr # 5267T95 $13.60 for 25.. They have a shelf life of 20 years.

Now remember this is a leak repair only and this is for information only, if your pump is bad the O-Ring will not fix your pump. Apply blue lock-tite to the 3 SHCS holding the metal cover over the electrical coil that retains the actuator plunger plate against the O-Ring seal.
    I'm not responsible for any-other problems like blown engines due to oil pump failures. You are on your own if you try this O-Ring fix and it does not work..
    Use your dealer for purging the oil pump before running the engine
    Last edited by hekistner; 09-17-2016 at 09:45 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    Got the O-Rings and have installed 1 in the pump and re-assembled. It fit perfect the cross section of the replacement is slightly larger an I'm sure it will seal and stop the oil leak. The O-Ring is a BrownChemical-ResistantViton®FluoroelastomerThese O-rings offer excellent resistance to boric acid, citric acid, isopropyl alcohol,fuels, and transmission fluids. Temperature range is -10°to 400° F. Durometer is A75 (medium). with a cross-section of .103 x 1.487 ID x 1.693 OD. McMaster Carr # 5267T95 $13.60 for 25.. They have a shelf life of 20 years.

Now remember this is a leak repair only and this is for information only, if your pump is bad the O-Ring will not fix your pump. Apply blue lock-tite to the 3 SHCS holding the metal cover over the electrical coil that retains the actuator plunger plate against the O-Ring seal.
    I'm not responsible for any-other problems like blown engines due to oil pump failures. You are on your own if you try this O-Ring fix and it does not work..
    Use your dealer for purging the oil pump before running the engine
    What was the thickness and I.D. of the Original O-ring ? I buy a lot of Viton O-rings for hydraulic systems that operate at high temperatures.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    What was the thickness and I.D. of the Original O-ring ? I buy a lot of Viton O-rings for hydraulic systems that operate at high temperatures.
    The best I could measure it was .095" cross-section thickness and the ID of 1.487. It is hard to measure O-Rings ID/OD with a digital caliper without distorting it. The new O-Ring was visual slightly thicker than the old ring so it should seal the leak, for how long time will only tell. Mercury needs to change the type of seal used in these oil pumps. It's beyond belief their fix is to sell you a new oil pump for $472.00 and change for a $1.00 O-Ring which would fix the leak on a working oil pump.

ok so I got my oil pump from don ( thank you don and Rhonda ) for your fast mail out. and I have installed it nothing to it so now I have to take my boat to a outboard shop to get them to prime my pump and oil tank is that right. just want to make sure before I take a day off work to drop my boat off
    Lightfoot
    Leesville La, 71446
    2002 Triton TR-21
    2002 Merc Opti 225 hp

11. Member
    Is this a 3L only issue? Is it affecting my type, an '04 200 EFI?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Not about your EFI.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    You will need to open a separate thread, and provide your engine serial number for assistance with that question. Your engine may have a similar pump.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot
    ok so I got my oil pump from don ( thank you don and Rhonda ) for your fast mail out. and I have installed it nothing to it so now I have to take my boat to a outboard shop to get them to prime my pump and oil tank is that right. just want to make sure before I take a day off work to drop my boat off
    Yes, an oil pump prime sequence must be performed before the engine is started.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You will need to open a separate thread, and provide your engine serial number for assistance with that question. Your engine may have a similar pump.

Yes, an oil pump prime sequence must be performed before the engine is started.
    installed my new oil pump Monday took it to outboard shop tues got it back today and all is good thanks again to MR Don Weed and Rhonda Weed for your parts and it only coat me 75.00 for the shop to prime it ready for the water this weekend
    Lightfoot
    Leesville La, 71446
    2002 Triton TR-21
    2002 Merc Opti 225 hp

Checked mine again last night while putting some oil in my compressor inlet....knock on wood the pump is still dry
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Checked mine again last night while putting some oil in my compressor inlet....knock on wood the pump is still dry
    Why are you putting oil in the compressor inlet?? Haven't heard that before.....
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    Why are you putting oil in the compressor inlet?? Haven't heard that before.....
    To add some lubrication to the cylinder wall.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    To add some lubrication to the cylinder wall.
    =1. Don advises to do this anytime the engine will sit for 45 or more days. It's in the annual maintenance thread in FAQ.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Member
    1b756822
    At 154 hours, my oil pump was leaking. It is hard to trust Mercury Marine when they know they have a issue and will not fix it.
    Last edited by flynonh2o; 06-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Just because a number of folks on here and their buddies have had issues doesn't mean "Mercury knows they have a problem." I'd guestimate there have been about 500,000 Mercury DFI motors sold since 1998. If there are 1500 (way more than listed here) oil pump failures that is still just a .2% failure rate. Of course if you are one of those, then you might believe there is a bigger problem when there is not.

I have put a lot of hours on Merc DFI motors since 1999 without an oil pump failure. I am either very lucky or more representative of a common Mercury user. I think it is the latter...

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast