Praying 79 johnny block busted water jacket

any help with info on a busted block motor ran fine on pickwick lake noticed water coming out of the cowl . put the muffs on it in the shed block has a 2in crack . WHAT NOW SHAGGY

2. Member
    You might want to post this in one of the motor forums. Either pull the powerhead and have it welded on a bench, or use a cold weld epoxy on the crack after it is prepped. No one around here would weld the block on the boat. Too big a risk of fire, which I understand. Here is my 1993 Yamaha 225 OX66 with a cracked jacket and the crack prepped for epoxy. I tried to fix it myself using two different types of epoxy (marine tex and marine JB weld), but in both cases it kept cracking. In the end had a pro mechanic do it. My patch slowed it down, but didn't stop the leak completely. Motor ran fine with a little water, but it was corroding things under the hood, and if it ever did get bigger and filled the pan there was risk water would get sucked into the intake. I don't have the motor back from the pro yet, so can't say if his work will fix it. I have found several other OX66 engines on the web with a crack in the same exact place, which makes me think it is a flaw in the casting. I have had this leaking for at least a year, maybe more, and have run the boat without issue.

Here is a close up of the crack:

Here is the prep done by the mechanic before he used the epoxy. Haven't seen the finished product yet.

Both photos need to be rotated clockwise for the correct perspective. He and I talked about welding, but I have over 800 hours on this engine and I will likely get the engine rebuilt fairly soon. If he was going to pull the block I would rather put the money toward that, so the decision to try the cold weld, run it for a few years more (hopefully) and then rebuild with a proper weld with the block on a bench.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 09-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.

3. Member
    thanks I was thinking of both issues the block is 29 yrs old and original. Power head would repair it, need to get back on the water
    either way I go the block will have 2 b pulled

4. Member
    So far the JB weld repair the Pro did on mine has held fine.

read in many past posts of various sites, engine repair, cracks etc. One involved the drilling of a small hole at each end of crack, to stop further cracking. gougeing like above pic and clean for JB Weld. BTW JB Weld can be removed by a simple small chisel tap with a hammer, falls off like a scab most of time. and was some drilling holes, threading the holes drilled, using hex head short threaded rod , apply Loctite on threads to seal, and each about touching each other in line, then going back and grinding the tops off smooth with block. Using your PC search will show a lot of fixes some have used for various repairs

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...0A&FORM=VRDGAR example for cast iron
    Below JB Weld fix videos

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=VDQVAP
    Last edited by Bass AHolic; 10-16-2016 at 12:24 PM.

6. Member
    UP DATE BACK ON THE WATER GENTLEMAN HAD TO PULL THE POWERHEAD TO MAKE THE REPAIR OLE GIRL IS ALIVE AGAIN OLD GOATS IN RANGER BOATS THANKS