Performance with 12' Talons and the Talon squeal

2003 Triton TR20. Single console. 225 OptiMax (2- 12' Talons)

Top speed was 70mph at best. 68 was normal with the typical Triton chinewalking. I installed one 12' Talon and an extra battery for a 36v upgrade in the Spring (2016) and lost a few miles per hour. The good news was that at 65mph, I barely had any chine walk. The Talon sort of acted like a trim tab that kept my boat more level. However, having the Talon set to the manufacturers recommended height, there was noticeable drag when trimming to my normal "highest" trim setting (I haven't played with the height settings yet). I installed the second Talon a few weeks ago (Aug 2016). The added weight dropped my top speed to 62-63.

On a side note, my first Talon squealed loudly when retracting. I replaced the part that wipes the second stage clean ($25), but it continued to squeal. My second Talon squealed also. I extended both Talons and sprayed them with silicone spray that I normally used for my garage door. I haven't heard them squeal since, even after several fishing trips.

Hope this helps....

2. Member
    On any bass boat the talon needs to mounted be as high as it can go.

Minn kota says a minimum of 4" above the bottom of the hull.
    Scott Inman

4. Member
    I have two talons on a tr-210 and I put them at 4" initially, but dropped them 2 inches after seeing them while on plane, because I want to get every inch possible out of them without creating drag