2005 Mercury Verado 250??

My dad is going to possibly purchase a used boat next week. He stated it was equipped with a 2005 Mercury Verado 250 4 stroke. I have no experience with this type motor but thought you guys could give a little insight. The Serial number is OT980280 The boat has 454 hours and the compression read out was 170 in cylinder 1 and 175 in all others. Any risk with this Motor over a Mercury 2 stroke. Any thing to look for when he test drives next week? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by bassmaster6548; 09-08-2016 at 09:07 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You've got a PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Only downside I have found with my 05 Verado is making sure your mechanic is Verado certified so he can work on it and get any parts.

And if you need to change the water impeller, you will have to change the oil. So if you winterize, make sure you have water pressure before you change the oil in the spring.

Speed wise I think its the same as the 2 stroke, the 2 stroke guys just spend more time and money getting that .5 mph out of their setup while I'm busy fishing.

4. Member
    Thanks