Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Where are you moving to temple?
    Burning the candle at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Look into whether there's anyone doing wireless broadband in your area. It's strictly line-of-sight from the tower to your antenna but it's not a bad option if they don't oversubscribe the system.
    I'm hoping that's what Kelly joe linked. There's Western Broadband in that area but they look expensive since they're probably the only game.

Thanks for that Kelly Joe, I'll check with them. Western Broadband is expensive and has a $200 fee just to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    Where are you moving to temple?
    Liberty Hill

Scooter: Nov 1998-Jul 2011
    Otis: Oct 2010-Feb 2017

I used a similar service here and had zero issues whatsoever. The tower was just right across the street with excellent line of sight. Usually the only issue is getting the small dish high enough to shoot line of sight to the tower. Good luck.

4. Member
    We have been using a Verizon modem that uses the cell signal and it was slow and dropped off. We had VZ install a new cantenna and it works well. A lot faster. We ended up getting more GB and faster and was$10 a month less

5. Member
    DSL all the way I'd steer clear of satellite Internet.

6. Member
    DSL
    Dish for TV much better than Direct

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

7. Member
    satellite expensive slow and limited data all bad
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Frontier internet sucks ....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I'm hoping that's what Kelly joe linked. There's Western Broadband in that area but they look expensive since they're probably the only game.
    Thanks for that Kelly Joe, I'll check with them. Western Broadband is expensive and has a $200 fee just to connect.
    We had wireless at our previous house in the country. We were charter subscribers at least 15 years ago and paid substantially more than $200 to connect but at least we owned the equipment...or we did until they sold the company and a new policy was put in place. My bad when I failed to read the fine print the day they brought a new modem/router doohickey. Paid for the same equipment twice. Bailed out of that when DSL became available.

Now that we live in the "city", we only have a choice between satellite and the crooks at TWC. Broadband should at least be cheaper than cable (if it's that rural then I don't expect cable is even an option, right?) If you are considering going with broadband, try to find a subscriber in your area and see how the speeds are on Fri. and Sat. nights when everyone's streaming movies.

DSL.... no brainer...

11. Member
    Sat internet SUX! Low data (only 15g), high ping, goes out in the wx, & high cost in comparison. Only viable option where I live (cell coverage weak). Oh yeah, I only live 12 miles from the state capital.

I am really rural with very minimal options. We have a local company that offers radio Internet that we went with and it is ok. Better than any other options like the sup we slow dsl offering and satellite. Might see if anyone local has radio internet
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwest View Post
    Every single brand of satellite sucks. I have had Hugh's, Wildblue, Excede. All are slow and rip you off to get moderately faster.
    DSL f available if not get cable.
    Yep ^^^^ They will promise you the moon and deliver zilch. Wind blows and out it goes. 10GB(65.00) plan lasts for about 2 weeks then data restriction mode kicks your butt. Another 10 gb costs 50.00 more. Junk.
    “No such thing as time travel. Only live with what you've done, and try in the future to do what you're happy to live with.”

14. Member
    1995 Stratos 278 DC
    Johnson 150

15. BBC SPONSOR
    What do you do with your internet? If you play multiplayer games, you will really see difference. If it is just normal checking emails and news, it may be a better idea to just use your phone data or use dial up.

I know when we got set up with Wild Blue satellite internet a long time ago the installation and dish itself cost around $300 and every month was around $180 I believe. We got 7GB of data to expend also, and the includes surfing and downloading. So if you watch a bunch of HD or 4K videos all the time, its gonna gobble up bandwidth quick.

If you are unsure of the data you use, you can look at your carrier and they will be able to tell you how much is used each month. Would give you a good idea of what you may want to shoot for.

Keith

Authorized Dealer & Seller for Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin, and many other major marine electronics manufacturers.
    Proud BassBoatCentral Sponsor since 2006!

16. Keep Calm and Chive On! pickupman66's Avatar
    TNT,

We recently faced the same thing. Move off of a Cable provider network to a rural area. We have a company called Monster broadband here. Point to point wireless internet. offers unlimited bandwidth and comparable speeds to satellite. yes it was expensive to hook up to it ($200 Fee) but a better long term solution than a Dish. kids and Utube will use 100GB of intenet easily.
    Hey Baby, Wanna see my Big, White Johnson!

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! Click Here

Follow me on Twitter @LHuffhines

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Worst part about being too rural.
    You aren't lying. It's actually enough to keep me from moving out there. I can do without cable/satellite tv, but no way I would choose to live somewhere without high speed internet.

18. Member
    If you live in a cellular LTE area, you have plenty of options....which others have mentioned. However, if uou use it as a hotspot, the cellular companies always cap your usage. I know that some people buy an Android device, have it rooted, and add the personal hotspot without the carrier actually knowing that the data is being used via hotspot. This is especially beneficial when the person has an unlimited data plan (I think Sprint still offers unlimited data). The end result for you would be unlimited internet, at speeds way better than DSL or Satellite, at a cheaper price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12