1998 HYDRA SPORT 196 Setup options???

Looking for setup recommendations. I have had the boat for a couple months not. Runs great. Came with 27 4 blade shooter and ran 65- 66mph. Put on 26 Raker and runs 68-70 at 5400 rpm. Chine walks bad with motor low on the jack plate. If I move it up the prop loosed grip and blows out. Any thoughts? I have heard a lot of guys running 25 Renegades on this similar setup.

2. Member
    There's two 196's around here. They are both running. 6" plates with 25" Renegades,I don't know the height and I don't know if they have tried other set ups. I have fished out of one of them,that is a great boat,fishes big for a 19 footer and plenty of room up front. I don't see why they didn't sell better than they did.Webbs Fiberglas sold Hydro-Sports at the time and couldn't hardly sell one of them.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    There's two 196's around here. They are both running. 6" plates with 25" Renegades,I don't know the height and I don't know if they have tried other set ups. I have fished out of one of them,that is a great boat,fishes big for a 19 footer and plenty of room up front. I don't see why they didn't sell better than they did.Webbs Fiberglas sold Hydro-Sports at the time and couldn't hardly sell one of them.
    I would say 70 is good. The 196 was ahead of its time omc was just having to much problems at the time.

4. Member
    Is that with a 200? I had a '98 196 but it was a little under powered with a 150. Man that was a great hull!! I loved that boat.

5. Member
    Yes that was with a 200. Love this boat.

6. Member
    Put a 25" renegade on it and use the shooter as a door stop.