Thread: How much?

Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

How much?

Hey guys, not trying to pry into your personal monies, but what is a realistic amount of money someone should start out with. I know I should only use money i can lose. I'm just having a hard time understanding how one with meager amounts can invest in high dollar stock and expect much in returns. It seems the less money you have the cheaper you need the stocks to be to see an appreciable returns in the short term.

Many advice on this aspect?

2. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Hey guys, not trying to pry into your personal monies, but what is a realistic amount of money someone should start out with. I know I should only use money i can lose. I'm just having a hard time understanding how one with meager amounts can invest in high dollar stock and expect much in returns. It seems the less money you have the cheaper you need the stocks to be to see an appreciable returns in the short term.

Many advice on this aspect?
    First thing you should invest in is an Index Fund with Vanguard or similar, something to make money the safe way before you dive into trading. Once you get no less than 10k there then play with some money you are not afraid to lose.

3. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Already did that, I have safe funds in play for me, looking for high stakes, portfolio up 13% today

4. Member
    I started with $500 and put $50 a week in it. I should have done the index fund thing probably.

5. Member
    use robinhood

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Start with what ever you can afford. Learning to invest and trade comes with the price of losses. Start small, stay small for awhile while you learn. I started with a few hundred dollars several times Then moved up to a few thousand dollars
    Thanos was the hero