Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 Astro speed problem

Hello guys I am new to the board and I have to say there is a lot of great info here. I have done a lot of searching on here trying to find a answer to my problem so I figured I would ask. I have a 97 Astro 2000dc with a carb 200 2.5 mariner with a 25p hooter by Pender grass prop. The boat has a 12in rapid jack jack plate. The prop shaft is set at 3.25 bellow the pad and the motor is turning 5400 rpms with 15psi. The best speed I have seen out of the boat is 59 mph with a slight chop on the water. I have been thru the boat and removed all unnecessary weight from the boat. I know she is a pig and will never be a speed demon. The boat seems to run with the nose down even no matter were you trim the engine to. I know everyone says a worked tempest but that just not in the funds. I have been thinking about putting transom wedges on the boat for more positive trim but I am not sure if they will help. I have run two other props on this boat and the only thing that changes is mph and rpms and it just will not pass 60 mph. The two other pops were a 25p lazer 2 and a 26p chopper. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Member
    welcome to the site. on the home page, take a look a the members listing and also on this forum procraft and astro setups to get an idea what others with the same boats are running and their setups. the tempest in stock form is really hard to beat on those boats. you need more lift to get the hull out of the water and that equals speed. save your money on the wedges, sell the other props and get a tempest.....that should be your first move and then you can shift weight to the rear, maybe your tackle in the rear compartments. also use the fuel load as well as the livewell to balance the boat from side to side. as you gain speed the loading of the boat will change so it is trail an error. the motor height is good for now. as you know when you over trim the foot is running at an angle in the water scrubbing speed.

3. Member
    Thanks gaboy for the advise I have read a lot about the guys sets ups on here. I've moved all of my heavy tackle to the back and keep my stuff I use on the regular in the front center. That's the only complaint about my boat is the lack of rear storage. I am going to look and see if I can find a locally.

4. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Welcome to the board!

Don't move the heavy tackle to the back.. Our hulls hate weight in the back.. Also, what RPM/MPH did you turn with the 25p Laser II? That's probably the prop that came on the boat from the factory, and should get you into the 60's with the livewells empty.. I'd try raising the plate 1 click and see what it does.. 15psi is a little low, imo, for having the motor that low? It's in spec, but getting close to the boarder line, so keep an eye on the water pressure.. Has the water pump been replaced lately? Mine runs around 22psi at wot and my setup is pretty much similar to yours, but with a 6" rapid jack..
    Last edited by Mickstix; 09-08-2016 at 11:51 AM.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just to verify, that speed is from a GPS, right?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Thanks! I can't remember the spec with the lazer. You are right it was the prop that was on the boat when got it. I am going to put a new pump in it I the next few weeks. After I change the pump I will move the jp up and run the lazer II.

7. Member
    Yes that is GPS speed.

8. Member
    its all about helping each other and I prefer adding a little at a time because the lack of typing skills. the laser 2 is a lazy prop, lacks the parabolic rake needed for lift and to carry weight and there is no argument about that. every boat has a center of gravity known as static c.g. and a dynamic c.g.. S.c.g. may be at the center of helm, it can be changed by moving weight in boat fore and aft. while the boat is under way the dynamic c .g. changes, the more speed, the farther the d.c.g. moves to the rear. at 55mph the d.c.g. is where the hull meets the water, lets say under the cockpits seat( and at 70 mph about 2 feet forward of transom). now at 55 mph the static c.g. is at the center of the helm, these two centers need to be relatively close to each other so that would mean moving weight toward the rear. the static center of gravity well ahead of the dynamic c g causes porpoising, ill handling, chinewalking. set it up at 30mph or 60 mph the choice is yours. this is not opinion just facts.

9. Member
    ok that makes a lot of sense because right now the water spray out from the sides is coming from the console area of the boat with no rooster tail.

10. Member
    trying the different suggestions is part of the enjoyment of ownership. the hull is probably the same as my 97 pro 185 or very similar. most people do not realize the potential that these hulls have or for that matter how this hull design should be ran. no disrespect intended toward anyone. what I do know is my stock block 150 is 71 + gps and most are posting mid 65+with a 200, I have figured a few things out. trade, borrow, or beg a tempest. with minor work to the pad you can break the cohesion of the water for some good gains in speed. we can get into that if and when you are interested. I will be fishing with a guy that is on this form when the heat breaks and I expect him to share what he see's. if you have the pad I think you do with the step in it, do not run the bow high. the water will catch the step and scrub off speed. ok you did say the spray was from the console area. I will be interested in the 26 chopper if it is a torque hub and even if It is pressed in you should be able to trade or sell about even for the tempest. the chopper is not going to work at all on your boat. I just made some changes to my boat, may need a bigger prop, but it is a 25 Tempest. I will have it in the water very soon.

11. Member
    I have sold the chopper. I would be happy if my boat would run in the mid 60s. Your boat is flying! I am going weigh all of the tackle I have in the bow and try and get it down as much as possible moved in the boat. What do you mean work to the pad?

12. Member
    like one of the guys said, that should be obtainable. the dynamic c. of g. will move aft as the speed increases. I guess the lazer 2 did nothing for your hull since you posted with another prop? you will need to get better lift. I have blueprinted the last 2 feet of the pad for a three mph gain. the design of this pad will benefit from the b.p. more so than a straight pad and I can tell you why. first I would like you to check the pad on your boat. take a 3 to 4 foot level and put on the flat part of the pads running surface at the very rear, about the last 2 feet. now check it rear to front at 3 and 4 feet with the straight edge and tell me what you got, hopefully similar to mine.

13. Member
    Well a lazer is not a good prop for that heavy boat it will have a hard time lifting the nose. At 3.25 under the pad you should have more water pressure than 15 psi at wot. You need a new water pump kit, gauge is busted, or prop to pad is off. If you lower the motor a little and pressure comes back up then you may be higher than you think which will hurt you lift. If none of this works i have a 300 promax that will fix your speed issues. Lol.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag

14. Member
    Hate to tell you but that's about the right speed with that set up but as mentioned with running that low, you should be showing much more water pressure than that. Just something about those card 200 merc's, they don't seem to run as good as the efi motors. Got a carb merc on a 19' triton and the best speed he could get was 62 on gps. met a guy with an efi 200 on a 19' triton and he's running 70gps with the same prop. Bring your boat to the stroker rally at west point lake next weekend and we can help you with the set up and let you run a few props.

15. Member
    Ok gaboy I will check the pad and get back with you. Its been so long since the lazer was on the boat I can't remember what the boat was doing.
    ANG and gcross y'all are right it should have more water pressure. I am going to order a new pump for it. That 300 sounds nice. I wish I could make it to the stroker rally just to see all of the boats.
    I would like for this boat to be faster than my 95 nitro 18ft it had a Yamaha 150 pro v on it and it would run low 60s and I carried more tackle in it than I do now. I was running the same hooter prop on it.

16. Member
    I have a 96 s 20 b ,200 efi and i run a 23 tempest 6 inch jack plate 5800 rpm 61,62 GPS the problem is 7 layers of glass on the 20 ft boats mine is 2100 lbs so go figure rides like a dream even in rough water with that weight you sacrifice the speed if you find out something i would like to know thanks

17. Member
    Fisherofmen2 your boat is running great compared to mine. You're right they are heavy but ride like a dream. I have set in a bunch of different boats and my Astro has been the driest so far. I put my lazer II on just to see what it done since I couldn't remember and I was impressed with the lift it gave me. The boat got up on the pad and was actually starting to chine walk some but it only ran 54-55 with two people a half tank at 5500 rpms. So from what all of the guys on here have told plus what I have read my boat is going to come to life with a tempest prop.

18. Member
    not trying to discourage anyone, this is something you will have to work at. I was hoping that the laser would give enough lift to give you better speed.i have an old laser that is as fast as the temp. on top but not near the torque. the tempest will be better lift by far but flighty. did you find the pad to be flat from aft to fore about 2 feet and the hull drop below the horizontal plain of the pad moving fore? did you level the boat side to side? use a torpedo level or line level, lift the center console and place level on fiberglass and do what ever is best to level the boat. run the boat solo, It may tell you something. sent a p.m.

19. Member
    I have found the 27 lasar is faster than the tempest on top. Best thing to do is get with someone that can work with you on the setup and try different props.

20. Member
    fisherofmen2, you can raise the hood scoop and space the fuel canister as well as cut the inner liner for 2.5+ mph and more torque.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast