Question Garmin 93sv with Y Cable Question

OK, so I've been studying this a while and I see that I can use the Y cable with the GT15 and GT30 in lieu of the GT52 that comes with the unit. My question is about the specs of the transducers.

The GT52 that comes with the unit includes regular 2D (HighWide CHIRP 150-240 kHz, 250W) and DownVU and CHIRP SideVU (455/800 kHz, 350W, 12 pin)

The GT15 does regular 2D (85-165 kHZ, 600W)

The GT30 does DownVU/SideVU (CHIRP 455/800 kHZ, 500W)

Since the frequncy response range of the GT15 does not match with the GT52's 2D crystal (85-165 kHz vs 150-240 kHz), how well does it work? At the same time, the GT15 and GT30 appear to be much more powerful transducers (500/600W vs 250/350W) than the Side/DownVU portions of the GT52. Does this change anything with the settings on the 93sv? Has anyone used the Y cable setup that can comment on the quality and clarity of the results?
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

GT52 is a FAR superior transducer to the other two.

3. Member
    My problem is the same one that others have...I want the 93sv, but I want to read depth while on pad. If the mapping is good enough, maybe depth while running isn't as important?

I know that the 7610xsv is a better unit, but buying 2 of them is expensive. If the 7610 and the 93 would only share waypoints, I know what I would do.

I'm coming from Lowrance and comparing Garmins to 'Birds. The panoptix is intriguing, but at what cost?
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

4. Member
    Why wont the 93 and 7610 share waypoints?
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    That's what I have been told by dealers and what I've read on here. If I'm not correct, I hope someone clarifies for me. I was told that the 93 is on high speed data transfer protocol, and that the 7610 won't communicate with it.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

6. Member
    If thats true, it seems like a major oversite on Garmins part.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

7. Member
    I have read that too. No sure which board it was on but I do recall it. We're probably going to have to hear from Todd or Troy but if they won't share waypoints I'd like to hear the explanation. Looks like brown to blue and blue to brown would do it. Probably some software settings to also have to deal with. Sometimes that's a problem on these boards - that a poster don't know what they are talking about. So I'll end with this. I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Banned
    the 7600 series will not share waypoints with the echomap chirp series. you could always just move the sd card back and forth

the gt15 has very good 2d though

Last edited by TroyBoy30; 09-07-2016 at 05:30 AM.

9. Member
    How is the gt30 for side/down vu? On par with the gt52?
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

As I said....GT52 is a FAR superior transducer to the GT30

11. Member
    Just curious, how big of a difference is there between the GT30 and the GT52? You say they are FAR superior? Any images? Just wondering...

I'm asking because I'm installing my EchoMap Chip 95sv onto my fiberglass Nitro, and it came with the GT52, but mounting appears to be an issue and I was recommended by Todd to replace it with an in-hull GT15 and transom mounted GT30.

I'm no pro fisherman :) Just a weekender... just curious to why/what?

12. Member
    I agree with Todd's recommendation and here is why. I have used the GT15 side-by-side with the widely acclaimed Airmar TM-150. This is on the same unit, and the split screens set to the same size. Others may use them and find a difference. I did not find one to be better than the other. Now that our walleye have gone deep, I will spend some time again this fall comparing them. Maybe this time I'll find somewhere where one excels over the other. The GT15 has 600 watt 2d chirp. If you had Humminbird or Lowrance and wanted the best 2d chirp transducer you could buy, the Airmar TM-150 is what you would get although it might be rebranded under another name/model. My thinking is that this answers your question on the GT15.

I do not have a GT30 and have not used one but I do agree with Todd. My suggestion and/or recommendation on this does not come from experience, but from comparing the specifications. It is my experience that Garmin transducers perform according to their specifications. Most people's preference on down and side sonar has to the detail of the image. Comparison made on different units with different screen sizes and different resolutions are not worth much. For example, the GT52 used on a Striker 7 looks more detailed than when viewed on another model with a 9 or 10 inch screen. To accurately compare side sonar transducer performance you have to do it on the same unit and the panel used to view it be the same size each time. Looking at the specifications gives an accurate way to make comparisons without necessarily going on the water. The narrower the front to back part of the cone, the better the detail shown on screen. If anyone disputes this, as a matter of science, I would like to hear that case made. Some specification follow. For example, the GT30 has a 1.1 degree front to back and 53 degree top to bottom cone at 455 kHz.

GT30-TM 1.1x53@455
    GT50M-TM 1.1x53@455
    GT51M-TM 1.4x29@455
    GT52HW-TM 2.0x50@455
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    i know it is an old thread, but im assuming the GT15M mentioned is the IH model and was wondering if the GT15M-TM would also work with a y cable split to a GT30 on an aluminum boat with max speed of 35mph?

14. Member
    I'm sure the transom version will also work. Both have the same 8 pin connector. Of course transom mounting to read on plane is tricky. I'd tried several. Once I was lucky and got it first try. The rest, trial and error. Mostly error but if you keep at it you can get it done.

15. Joe4d
    I worked with BassBoatelectronics on this forum., I have the 30 and a jack plate mount, with the glue in through hull for reading at Bow. Have 2 93 plus's.
    He also sent me the y cable and a network cable, so I can network the two units for now,, then I will install Livescope on the trolling motor around Christmas,,,
    If I cant read the Jack plate mounted transducer from the bow, I will add the 52 to the troller.
    Boat supposed to be done and will be here in about 2 weeks. Installation of any electronics is included so hope all goes well.