Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over rev on hole shot?

My son went out this morning for the first time since getting our 2015 721. As the boat is just about to plane, the motor (250 Pro XS) over revs. Almost sounds like the prop slipping. Motor trimmed all the way down. Does it at the same spot every time. No other issues. Any thoughts? Jack plate need adjusting?

2. Member
    put ALL the plugs in the prop

use solid plugs - no holes

try again

what is the motor height?

what prop and what pitch?

what RPM did it get up to when it revved up?

what rpm at full throttle/speed?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    What prop and PVS setup.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

4. Member
    Figured it would be tough to diagnose, and I'm 3 hours away from my son on the lake. I think the prop is a 23 Fury? Did it once on me in the test drive. Revs pretty high... you back off... and the nose drops right down and then it's fine. Just talked to my son and his friend thinks it's cavitation at takeoff because it's set up more for top end speed. He said the hole shot is pretty slow, especially having to back off every time in the middle of it.

New boat for us, so I don't have a lot of he measurements. First time on the water with it.

5. Member
    23 seems a bit small for anything, let alone top speed. Seems to me that most people use a 25 or 26, and sometimes a 24. I don't believe I've read of anyone using a 23.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

6. Member
    If he has to keep backing off the throttle, then it could be a combo of the small prop and too big of holes in the plugs. The plugs are cheaper so start there, unless there is a prop he can try/borrow, like a 25.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

7. Member
    I thought it was a 25, but son said 23. I thought that sounded small. Hate that I'm not there, but he's out with his college fishing team. Boat stays at school during season. I'll get more info when he gets off the water. Thanks!

8. Member
    There should be a coach, or instructor for a school team. That coach should know something about boats, SHOULD.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

9. Member
    They do have a coach. This was more of an impromptu practice (warm weekend and a bunch of bored college kids) and he's not there today. There's a couple other adults on the lake today that he knows.

10. Member
    Bored college kids???

At least they are fishin rather than drinkin.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

11. Member
    Un less your way up in altitude you need a 25 to 26 fury. I run a 25 no plugs at sea level and only blows out if to high on the jackplate. If you have a hydraulic plate run it all the way down.

12. Member
    Fury runs no plugs wide open if its blowing out you need to go up in pitch. You should be running a 25 or 26 on that boat.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

13. Member
    Un less your way up in altitude you need a 25 to 26 fury. I run a 25 no plugs at sea level and only blows out if to high on the jackplate. If you have a hydraulic plate run it all the way down.

Something similar has happened to me but not consistently which leads me to believe it's me needing to learn where the engine needs to be trimmed, etc. It's like the prop isn't biting...just about the time the bow starts to move down toward being on plane.
    - bow down, stern up pulls the prop out of good water losing bite.

Im running the 26 Fury. I'll watch where the rpm(s) are next time it happens.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

15. Member
    Did the dealer not set it up and lake test it???
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    Did the dealer not set it up and lake test it???
    Most dont.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

17. Member
    A little more info...

We bought the boat used. From discussions with dealer, previous owner had it set up right. We took it out for a test drive but let me give you a frame of reference in what we were in before. 99 Ranger 20'-6" boat with a 200 ETEC. Was pretty much a point and shoot boat... just hit the throttle and go. Leave it at WOT through planing and trim it up till you hit max at 55mph. No jack plate. No chine walk. We have a bit of a learning curve with the 721.

Pretty sure the prop is either a 24 or 25. Son forgot to check. He said he worked around it by not hitting WOT from takeoff, but rather easing into it till he planed. He thought it made the hole shot slower but kept it from revving (he said it would rev up to ~4200). Maybe just what we need to do with this boat? I noticed the revving once when I test drove it , but it didn't do it when the dealer drove it. Figured it was my inexperience with a faster boat. And maybe it's a trade off of being set up for more top end?

18. Member
    No reason at all, none, zero, that you shouldn't be able to give it full throttle from the start, at sitting still to full speed. No reason at all to have to back off the throttle to get on plane.The boat isn't set up properly, prop wise, provided that the motor is trimmed all the way down, and the jack plate is down where it should be..

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

19. Member
    Jack plate to high for hole shot? I have to lower mine a little for take off vs best running height, benefits of a hydro plate.

20. Member
    You should definately be able to hammer down on take off. Something isnt right. What is your water preasure at WOT.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast