Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor drops down slowly on it's own after trimming up.

I have a 2001 70HP Yamaha that I have not had a single issue with. Until now. The motor seems to drop down slowly on it's own after trimming it up to fish shallow water etc. I checked the system and there are absolutely no signs of leakage. I filled the reservoir and ran it up and down several times and topped it off and it seems to have gotten better but still does not stay up. I did this while it was on the boatlift and not on the trailer with the tongue down but I don't think that would have let me put that much more fluid in it but I could be wrong. Before replacing all the seals etc any suggestions? Motor sounds a little different that it always has at times. Could it be the motor?
    When all else fails, go fishing.

2. Member
    Be sure the manual lowering [bypass] screw is tight. A lot of the times that is the problem. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

make sure your trim rod caps are tight

4. Member
    If you had to fill it and top it off, it is leaking. Closed systems don't loose fluid without a leak.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    If you had to fill it and top it off, it is leaking. Closed systems don't loose fluid without a leak.
    That could be the case but there is still no sign whatsoever of a leak and after filling it still dropped down, although not as quickly as before filling.

6. Member
    That manual release screw got me on mine....also if it wont loosen dont force it. You'll be cussing if you do...it breaks easy haha.

7. Member
    O.K. I have tried everything short of replacing the unit at $3000.00. Then I happened to meet a Yamaha tech who said it might be the 2 o rings on the release valve are shot. That sounded like it made sense. Anyone ever had this issue and fixed it by replacing the o rings. I'm not sure if the release valve is accessible but haven't taken a look yet.
    I've lived with the problem because it is only annoying in shallow water when you stop moving and realize that the motor is on the bottom.
    Any Yamaha guys had this issue and fixed it like this or know how to access the release valve? This seems like it could be the answer.
    Thanks.

8. Member
    Relief valve may have a o ring blown or wore.

9. Member
    X3 on manual release screw. If you recently used it you probably need to tighten. If you haven't touched it in a long time the seal is worn.

10. Member
    Man I hope that's it. Rods look like new and every couple years I have put a few drops of high mileage trans fluid where the rods exit their housings (a tip from an old timer)
    To keep them from drying out and failing. Gonna winterize soon and will replace both orings and hope for the best.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    X3 on manual release screw. If you recently used it you probably need to tighten. If you haven't touched it in a long time the seal is worn.
    I have never used it but when this started happening I made sure the screw was good and tight.

12. Member
    Mine did the same thing. My ram cylinders seals were worn even had a plastic ring seal that was broken in pieces. Bought a kit and replaced myself after watching Youtube video. Was real easy fix and saved a few hunderd bucks by doing it myself

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by challengersrt8 View Post
    Relief valve may have a o ring blown or wore.
    O.K. I finally got a good chance to look at the trim unit release valve and there does not appear to be a way to access it without removing the entire trim unit.
    Does anyone know how to do this without damaging the unit?
    Worked on cars my whole like but don't want to wreck the trim unit by removing it incorrectly.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

It should be accessible, its for letting your engine up or down if your trim malfunctions on the lake.

15. Member
    The screw is accessable but the valve itself is not.

16. Member
    How do you remove the tilt/ trim unit? Is it the 4 bolts (2 on either side) on the motor mounting bracket?

17. Member
    Their could be that the unit is dirty. Needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Replace the o-rings and back up rings. Fluid is not leaking out of the unit but leaking internally past the o-rings letting it fall. Seen it many many times on 3 cylinders. You could prob get away with just cleaning it. But if it was me and in you got it apart, I'd replace everything I could. Does it fall all the way down or just down into the trim rams.

18. Member
    Also no disrespect but if you cant figure out how to get the unit out I wouldnt tackle a disassembly. Lots of little parts in those things. Seen many of cust bring in trim units that they tried to fix themselves and F'd them all up.

19. Member
    There is a company that does rebuilds and you send them yours and its not too expensive i think $500 max..find them on the internet and they may be a board sponsor?
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer. View Post
    Their could be that the unit is dirty. Needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Replace the o-rings and back up rings. Fluid is not leaking out of the unit but leaking internally past the o-rings letting it fall. Seen it many many times on 3 cylinders. You could prob get away with just cleaning it. But if it was me and in you got it apart, I'd replace everything I could. Does it fall all the way down or just down into the trim rams.
    No problem appreciate the honesty.
    I only asked because the boat is in storage and I wasn't sure. After watching a couple videos it looks pretty simple. It does drop all the way down. I did find a company in Florida that rebuilds them. Gonna try to replace the 2 o rings on the release valve before doing anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast