Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    Wow... Good luck with the project... Dan

2. Member
    I guess I owe everyone an update, this is not my year for health. I have not been able to get any more work done on the Skeeter because I have a bulging disk (C3-C4) in my neck causing a great deal of pain into my right shoulder down my right arm and into my fingers, with some numbness. I have seen a number of Dr. and have finally been able to get an MRI scheduled and will see a neurological surgeon afterword to see what my options are to get this fixed.
    Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

3. Banned
    ... Dan

4. Member
    Ok, I have a question for anyone that has rebuilt a 1985 Skeeter Starfire 150. My Stringers are gone, nothing to measure to make the replacement Stringers. Do any of you still have the measurements from there rebuild. I need to know the height to get the floor right.
    Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

5. Member
    Well I am sure everyone here has given up on me, I am still alive and kicking, I have been undergoing physical rehab for my herniated disk in my neck.

I have torn down the 50HP 1982 Mercury 4cyl that came on the bass boat. I found a number of problems, it had broken bolts in the water chamber cover and it had 2 very badly scored piston's and cylinders. I found a new old stock block in the UK for $311.00 plus $60 shipping. The only new block I found in the USA was $1400.00 plus shipping. I now have the new UK block standard bore and plan on buying a rebuilding kit. I can use the crankshaft and rod's off the old pistons.

I plan on getting back to work on the Bass boat demolition soon and will update photos then.

Be back soon.

Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

6. Member
    im a sucker for classic bass boats,especially these!any boat is worth restoring if it matters enough TO YOU!
    ive got a 1990 175SF in almost the same condition,no way im gonna cut it up,was my first high performance boat,may be my last.
    wishing you improvement on your health and well being!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    I notice a lot of folks are quick to recommend to cut um up and hall them off to the dump. I am like you this will be my first bass boat and my last, I can rebuild this for far less then I could get a decent used bass boat. I can get this boat to where it will last 10 years and outlast me. If I don't die before i get it water ready.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    im a sucker for classic bass boats,especially these!any boat is worth restoring if it matters enough TO YOU!
    ive got a 1990 175SF in almost the same condition,no way im gonna cut it up,was my first high performance boat,may be my last.
    wishing you improvement on your health and well being!!
    Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by CWR View Post
    I notice a lot of folks are quick to recommend to cut um up and hall them off to the dump. I am like you this will be my first bass boat and my last, I can rebuild this for far less then I could get a decent used bass boat. I can get this boat to where it will last 10 years and outlast me. If I don't die before i get it water ready.
    Your a beast.

I have no skill to take on a project like you're doing. Good luck and God Bless. Let us see it when its finished.

9. Member
    You got some serious skills. Keep up the good work and get well soon.

10. Member
    Wow i am tried , from just looking .You do has some skills . If i did that it would never get back togather .

11. Member

1985 Skeeter Starfire Restore

Update, My wife has finished grinding all the old wood out of the hull, and I am ready to fill all the old holes in the transom, and hull, before installing all new wood for transom and stringers. I have been sanding off all the pealing clear coat on the top cap, getting it ready for the new paint. I also filled some of the holes in the bow from the previous owners trolling motor (and other holes I have no idea what they were for) on the top cap, I used peanut butter and 3m marine filler, (not much filler, just enough to fill low spots & smooth things out). I will be drilling all new holes for engine mounting, transom eyes, pumps, splash well drains and bilge drain. For holes that go through the transom, I will be installing PVC pipe and glassing them in. After doing all this work I don't want any water ever leaking in again.

Sanded but holes not filled yet.

Sanded holes not filled yet.

Bow Holes Filled

Bow Primed

I'll post the hull photos as soon as I shoot them.
    Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

12. Member
    so glad to see this moving along!
    looking forward to seeing progression of this restoration, happy holidays and a great new year!

13. Moderator
    Been following this rebuild for a while. Glad to see your back on it. That's a ton of work your doing. Can't wait to see the completed boat.

14. Member

1985 Starfire rebuild

I just noticed I haven't bothered posting anything about the power head rebuild. I found a new old stock 50 HP Mercury 4 cyl block and ordered a rebuild kit with new pistons. I have it rebuilt, but am repainting everything with new decals. I'll post the finished pics soon.

Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

15. Member
    Miss my old Starfire...looking forward to seeing this one progress!

16. Member
    My dad had an ‘86 starfire 150 when I grew up. I remember the console at knight light up like a jet. Good luck with the rebuild and excited to see the finish.

17. Member
    I am tired of these teens and single digit temps, it's getting old.
    Carl Richardson
    Smithville, Arkansas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123