HD First Ride Impressions

Finally got to a dealer today to take a test ride on a Road Glide Ultra.
    Foot position was back a bit but not bad at all. Really don't like the heal-toe shifter so I would have to get an elimination kit right away to pull the heel shifter off. Windshield was the perfect height for me as I was looking over it but it helped divert the wind off my face. Once I left the dealer and shifted through a couple gears I could honestly say the ride was smooth and comfortable, with no discernable motor or Transmission noise Like on the Victory I rode last week.
    The Road Glide console is a stretch away from you when riding so I felt that was a bi strange but jus something to get used to. The ABS braking caught me by surprise when I was on the rear brake and grabbed some front brake to stop at an intersection and the handle dropped way down. Once that was explained to me while stopped it was not an issue.
    The one thing I did NOT like, and wanted to ask about, was I had a ton of vibration in the bars when dropping a gear and using the motor to slow down as well as the brakes. I really thought the bike had a badly warped rotor or something until I was at a stand still and it continued to shake.
    Does anyone else notice the Vibration on the 2016 103 motor? He had a 2017 with the new 107 motor and there didn't seem to be near the same vibration at a standstill.
    The only other thing that surprised me was when I slowed in the parking lot to turn and pull it back into a spot, It really caught me by surprise with how top heavy it was and had I not been aware, I would have easily tipped over to the right. It was DAMN close to going over, Which was something the Victory had it all over the HD on..
    Also rode the Street Glide and I felt like it was too small for me with the seating position I had so would have to try the taller seat they offer to see how much difference it would make...

Overall I liked the Road Glide Ultra, ( It had Demo Screaming Eagle Pipes on it), and will stop back there tomorrow to see what they give for a price, But I would add a drivers Backrest right away.

Thoughts ??

2. Member
    The 103 is not balanced and is rubber mounted within the frame. There for you will notice some vibration transferred through the entire bike. When at a stop light with the front brake depressed you will notice the vibration increase a little. When the brakes are applied it increase the rigidity of the front end of the motorcycle and it transfers even more vibration though the bike. Now th 107 have a new internal counter balancer and are still rubber mounted. They are very smooth, but still have enough vibration to let you know it's a Harley. I've been in the business around 15 years, I am a master tech and a shop foreman. If you have any other question or need anything feel free to let me know.

3. Member
    I never understood why Harley never put the counterbalanced motors like used in the softtails, in the cruisers.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I keep hearing that the new 107 is Honda smooth....

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Finally got to a dealer today to take a test ride on a Road Glide Ultra.
    elimination kit right away to pull the shifter off. Foot position was back a bit but not bad at all. Really don't like the heal-toe shifter so I would have to get an The ABS braking caught me by surprise when I was on the rear brake and grabbed some front brake to stop at an intersection and the handle dropped way down. Once that was explained to me while stopped it was not an issue.
    The one thing I did NOT like, and wanted to ask about, was I had a ton of vibration in the bars when dropping a gear and using the motor to slow down as well as the brakes. I really thought the bike had a badly warped rotor or something until I was at a stand still and it continued to shake.
    Does anyone else notice the Vibration on the 2016 103 motor? He had a 2017 with the new 107 motor and there didn't seem to be near the same vibration at a standstill.
    The only other thing that surprised me was when I slowed in the parking lot to turn and pull it back into a spot, It really caught me by surprise with how top heavy it was and had I not been aware, I would have easily tipped over to the right. It was DAMN close to going over, Which was something the Victory had it all over the HD on..
    Also rode the Street Glide and I felt like it was too small for me with the seating position I had so would have to try the taller seat they offer to see how much difference it would make...

Overall I liked the Road Glide Ultra, ( It had Demo Screaming Eagle Pipes on it), and will stop back there tomorrow to see what they give for a price, But I would add a drivers Backrest right away.

Thoughts ??
    I own a 2014 Electraglide ULTRA. No real difference in bikes except fairing and handle bars.
    The only part there is for removing the heal sifter is a end of the shaft cover. Nothing major about this. If you think you would like, they make an extended shift lever that sets it back farther.
    What may have also caught you by surprise with the breaks was not the ABS but the fact that they are partially linked together front and rear. Stepping on the rear break also applies a little front break and when you go to pull the front lever it feels a little weird.
    I personally haven't noticed any vibration when down shifting to slow down but also don't do it aggressively. Now, the sitting still vibration I might can explain if it was above 80 degrees out. There is a Engine Idle Temperature Management System. This come on when you are stopped if the air temps are above about 80*. The system shuts down the fuel and spark to the rear cylinder and it just becomes a big air pump to help cool things down a bit. The 2017 has a more refined system and supposedly does not shake as much.
    The frames on all the Touring models are the same so only the seat would be major difference in the StreetGlide along with the shorter rear shocks.
    Anyone near 6ft tall will not ride much with there feet on the floorboards. My feet go the a set of cruising pegs as soon as I get past second gear.
    Hope this helps you out some.

You want to feel shake, you should have taken a ride on my old shovelhead.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I'd recommend you keep the toe and heel shifter long enough to make the call to eliminate it or not. Personally, I'd never go back to just a toe shifter. And the vibration is from the rubber mounts. I don't even notice anymore.
    Support 81

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoke36 View Post
    I'd recommend you keep the toe and heel shifter long enough to make the call to eliminate it or not. Personally, I'd never go back to just a toe shifter. And the vibration is from the rubber mounts. I don't even notice anymore.

9. Member
    I ended up keeping the shifter on my Harley's. My FIL takes the heel off on his shifter. We both like the right side floorboard heel guard. I Gus's it's what you prefer. I sold my Tri-Glide Saturday and that rider had never had a heel guard on his right side. That guy is 70 and had 75,000 miles on his 2007 Classic. His son had an Ultra....BOTH commented they would have that right side heel guard. Of course dad got it when he bought mine.

I agree with Revoke. Try it before you just take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I sold my Tri-Glide Saturday ....
    What??? Next thing we know, you'll be selling the 'Cat.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I keep hearing that the new 107 is Honda smooth....
    Just read some reviews on a Street Glide forum on the 107. Very smooth, a lot less heat, and lots of power seems to be the general consensus so far.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    .....What may have also caught you by surprise with the breaks was not the ABS but the fact that they are partially linked together front and rear. Stepping on the rear break also applies a little front break and when you go to pull the front lever it feels a little weird.
    Maybe the designers felt that a lot of bikers are not aware that a large part of the braking effort should go to the front brakes. Some say 70 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Maybe the designers felt that a lot of bikers are not aware that a large part of the braking effort should go to the front brakes. Some say 70 percent.
    I agree, Find myself using the front harder than the rear brake most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    I agree, Find myself using the front harder than the rear brake most of the time...
    HA, when I took my Motorcycle Safety Course, the guys there wanted the front break plastered against the throttle lever when we were practicing panic stops. It was funny, cause he asked me if I had been a dirt bike rider, I said yes. He said yea I can tell, you were setting on the tank when you can to a hard stop.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    In the mandatory provincial driving lessons you have to take here in Quebec to get your bike license, they say 80% is on the front.