Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium battery recharge

Thinking I will buy my own Christmas gift this year. New 75 amp hour lithiums for my Champion. How do charge them? Just like regular batts soon as you get home or differently?Whats the best procedure?

2. Banned
    i was told that it's not as important to charge them as soon as you get off the water, like i did with my agm's. I also don't leave them plugged in 24/7. I unplug when they get done charging which only takes a couple of hours. im charging with the 10 amp charger that was supplied free with the batteries from relion

3. Member
    How big is that charger Troy? Is that charger for a 24v trolling motor and cranking battery?

*Edit: literally, how big is that charger? People have told me they are much smaller and take up much less room. I'm currently deciding between 2 lithium suppliers.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

4. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Its recommended to only charge the day or night before heading out on the water. Also its best to not leave them charging all the time too. Like Troy mentioned above it only takes a couple of hours to get them fully charged.

5. Member
    Same as Troy for me. Free charger with Relion Lithiums, and it's set for Lithium batteries.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    i was told that it's not as important to charge them as soon as you get off the water, like i did with my agm's. I also don't leave them plugged in 24/7. I unplug when they get done charging which only takes a couple of hours. im charging with the 10 amp charger that was supplied free with the batteries from relion

That is what I had heard but had not actually heard it from someone using their batteries.Plan on purchasing Relion. Thanks for your help!

7. Member
    Just for gits&shiggles, which Relions would I need for my 24 Volt Fortrex and 125 Merc in my 2000 TV-18?

8. Member
    How hard do you run them? Are you in current, or rough windy conditions?
    I run three 80amp ones in a 21' Stroker. with 36V motorguide. They are the group 31 equivalent, and I fish all conditions. So far no problems.
    I think Troy has the 100 am series, and mainly fishes Lanier. I'll bet Troy never gets them down past 20% discharge.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    That is what I had heard but had not actually heard it from someone using their batteries.Plan on purchasing Relion. Thanks for your help!
    call this guy

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I think Troy has the 100 am series, and mainly fishes Lanier. I'll bet Troy never gets them down past 20% discharge.
    correct. i went with 3 100ah. I've never checked % when i get back in. I do know they can charge by the time I get done putting everything up and cleaning the boat

10. Member
    How much will two cost you?

11. Member
    Don't have an exact price but somewhere around 1800.00 give or take. If they do last 10 yrs Ill be done fishing most likely. I need the weight and space savings. Been running 2 group 27 optimas for 6 yrs with no problems.dont think they will make another year.Will have to take charger out and send off for modifications.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Also check with Danny at Stealth Charger, They make one that is like 5 Lbs and very small. You can also get a DC charger that charges while you run the outboard.

I took a charger out of a boat that weighted as much as a battery, Why replace a battery and go with a lithium only to stick in a 30 Lb charger????

13. Banned
    im expecting 10-15 year life. if i get 10 ill be happy. that charger is no where near 30 pounds

14. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    im expecting 10-15 year life. if i get 10 ill be happy. that charger is no where near 30 pounds

20-23lbs is what the dual pro 4 bank chargers weigh and the 3 bank chargers weigh about 15-16lbs.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Also check with Danny at Stealth Charger, They make one that is like 5 Lbs and very small. You can also get a DC charger that charges while you run the outboard.

I took a charger out of a boat that weighted as much as a battery, Why replace a battery and go with a lithium only to stick in a 30 Lb charger????
    Makes good sense!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    How hard do you run them? Are you in current, or rough windy conditions?
    I run three 80amp ones in a 21' Stroker. with 36V motorguide. They are the group 31 equivalent, and I fish all conditions. So far no problems.
    Right now,I have 2 Odyssey Extreme 31's for trolling and 2 Optima Blue Tops (wired for 12 Volt with Perko Switch) for starting and accessories. We've been going to Canada for 30 years and "our lake" can get rough at times. On several occasions,it's rained all night and Bilge would pull starting battery down so the 2 Optimas' take care of that. My Dual-Pro does the charging.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    20-23lbs is what the dual pro 4 bank chargers weigh and the 3 bank chargers weigh about 15-16lbs.
    SS3 Three 10-Amp Banks 30 Amps 4.75″H x 8.00″W x 11.25″L 15.50 lbs. 12V – 36V

like i said not close to 30 pounds. i removed 3 75# batteries and replaced them with 3 22# batteries. i then removed the 28# pound charger and replaced it with a 15.50# battery, so i did ok.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by TKB View Post
    Don't charge them until the day before you go fishing.

If you absolutely drained them, which I have never been able to do, you can throw the charger on until you see the lights indicate a charge level around 40-60%. Lithium's happy place is 40%-60% state of charge. There is no real harm if kept at other levels.

If your boat is not being used (over winter), it's a good idea to plug the charger in once a month, check the state of charge, and give them a small boost. This is not because they lose a lot of power just by sitting, which is actually only 1% a month. It's because I have seen a lot of boats that draw a small amount of power when they aren't supposed to. It also keeps them active.

I took the Minn Kota 460-PC out of my boat and mounted a DualPro in it's place.
    From what I've read the 460 pc on the amg setting is acceptable to charge lithiums. I read a thread just a few days ago that's stated that.. Is that wrong?

19. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    From what I've read the 460 pc on the amg setting is acceptable to charge lithiums. I read a thread just a few days ago that's stated that.. Is that wrong?

It will work with the Relion Lithium batteries and I believe it should work with the Lithium Pros as well, since when you send in a Dual Pro charger in to be reprogrammed they install the same program for both Relion and Lithium Pros . As far as other brand lithium batteries out there I'm not sure what their charging requirements are.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    It will work with the Relion Lithium batteries and I believe it should work with the Lithium Pros as well, since when you send in a Dual Pro charger in to be reprogrammed they install the same program for both Relion and Lithium Pros . As far as other brand lithium batteries out there I'm not sure what their charging requirements are.
    Thanks for the response. My next question is does a 460 pc charge the trolling bateries while running the big motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast