Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SeaStar Steering Bushings

2008 Merc 250 ProXS

My set up has a lot of play in it and it seems to be caused by the bushings on the bracket that holds the cylinder. I have tightened everything up and just a few weeks ago had the entire system power bled at the shop. Is there a way to order a new bracket or can new bushings be purchased and pressed in? Thanks for any help.

Video:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Had the same deal and had to replace my entire unit. Be sure to check with SeaStar about the CORRECT unit. It will open you eyes!!!!!!

He has the correct unit. Youre gonna have to take it off and see whats stripped out or whatever there. Ive never seen one move right there i dont think

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

4. Member
    I'm going with the Uflex cylinder when mine gets slack in it. Several going that route and it seems to be more heavy duty with less moving parts
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TD3 View Post
    Be sure to check with SeaStar about the CORRECT unit. It will open you eyes!!!!!!
    I saw several posts on that debate that SeaStar says the HC6345 is the correct one because it handles up to 100mph.....I will stick with this model since it's been installed on boats for years and is rated to 1500 psi.

6. Member
    It's not air in the system the "arms" on the cylinder that the triangle piece bolts into are bent. I did the same thing, and ended up buying a uflex. They won't sell you a thicker bushing, or atleast they wouldn't sell them to me. I would think you could make up some Delrin bushings and put them in there, that is what I almost did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coufal View Post
    I saw several posts on that debate that SeaStar says the HC6345 is the correct one because it handles up to 100mph.....I will stick with this model since it's been installed on boats for years and is rated to 1500 psi.
    The hc6345 was a modification by allison. The hc 5345 works on every application its just doesnt have a key in it that darris thought it should have. There are a ton more 5345 out there than the modified 6345 and they do just fine unless youre running a drag on an xb2002 or river racer even then they work just fine

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    I think I'd slip a stainless washer or two in there. The longer those parts move, the more they would wear.

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I've seen where the bushing could be turned over....It has a square part that sits in a recessed hole that will eventually wallow the plastic or nylon bushing.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    The hc6345 was a modification by allison. The hc 5345 works on every application its just doesnt have a key in it that darris thought it should have. There are a ton more 5345 out there than the modified 6345 and they do just fine unless youre running a drag on an xb2002 or river racer even then they work just fine
    My allison had the 6345, my bullet has the 5345. I haven't noticed any real difference.

11. Member
    From the video it looks like play, agree with comments about trying to add a washer or get new bushings. Have the same unit, definitely zero play like that in the video. Don't know how likely it is to happen, but maybe you could find an old unit being sold or gotten rid of due to bad seals, and harvest off the parts you need to fix yours?

I have a SeaStar Pro 2.0 helm, non-tilt, and the 5345 cylinder. Was about to "upgrade" my cylinder at the same time I change to a bulkhead hose, but after reading this, seems like that's not necessary. Never would have known, so thanks for the info.

Regarding Uflex, what the compatibility of their stuff and SeaStar/Teleflex stuff? Only certain things, everything?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

12. Member
    All my hydraulic lines worked with the uflex. It's real simple and the uflex seems stronger

My new to me ranger has this same issue. I haven't seen anything to repair it other than replacement. Seems like an odd place to wear though. This is the cause of my chine walk over 60mph.

14. Member
    i sent mine to fluid technologies in jacksonville fla.The bushings were bad and the pivot
    plate was bent.They would not sell me anything i had to send it to them.For $240,shipping
    included they put new seals and the new plate on and sent it back.It came with the new pivot
    bolt and bushings as well.There is also a service center in louisiana also.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    i sent mine to fluid technologies in jacksonville fla.The bushings were bad and the pivot
    plate was bent.They would not sell me anything i had to send it to them.For $240,shipping
    included they put new seals and the new plate on and sent it back.It came with the new pivot
    bolt and bushings as well.There is also a service center in louisiana also.
    Dang....$240 to repair with no warranty or $380 to buy a new one without lines and have a 1yr warranty

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesjet View Post
    My new to me ranger has this same issue. I haven't seen anything to repair it other than replacement. Seems like an odd place to wear though. This is the cause of my chine walk over 60mph.
    Bingo.....this is why I started looking into it......to help correct some of the chine. I can drive through it just fine, but if I can eliminate it and give for a more responsive ride, then it's time to replace it.

17. Member
    Go UFlex and don't look back
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coufal View Post
    Dang....$240 to repair with no warranty or $380 to buy a new one without lines and have a 1yr warranty
    I'm sure it had some warranty but it has been 7 years i don't remember.Did a good job
    hasn't had a drop of fluid leak and it has worked flawless.$140 is three fishing trips
    for me lol.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    $140 is three fishing trips
    for me lol.
    Very true.....

I'm having this same problem... Has anyone come up with a good fix?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast