Thread: live wells

live wells

I have a '93 Ranger 482VS that has two live wells and a handle for each of the live wells that say either empty or fill. I have both handles on empty, but notice when I take the boat out of the water the live wells have been full. Do I need to have the handles for the live wells on fill, or how to I keep the live wells from filling up with water?

I believe the when the valves are in "empty" water can go in or out. You have to keep it in "recirc" or "full" to keep the valves closed.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

That boat has two way valves. On empty water should go out and not come back in. there is a one way flap in the valve, they get stuck open from crud or being old and dry. You can take valves out and rebuild w/ new rubbers or replace the whole valve. Once the valves are out they are easy to take apart and rebuild. Before all of that maybe try a warm soapy water flush working the valve to clean and free it up- worth a try.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

4. Member
    Ironically I have a 93 481v same boat with the same issue. I also notice when launch and it is in the "fill" position water gets in there as well. This isn't an issue for me but, some year I will tear it apart and report back what I find.

You have valves in there that control this.

What you have would be Flow-Rite's system 1 or 2 that's in your boat now. If they're system 1, "Empty" is just open. Water can flow in or out. If it's system 2, bad flappers in the valve would be causing your issue. Here's the documentation for their different systems.

Here's a writeup I did about rebuilding the valves on my 1995 481vs. You can convert yours to one of the different flow-rite systems if you grab a couple rebuild kits (one for each valve) and follow the intructions for the system you want, or alternatively grab a couple new valves for whatever system you want. Your boat has a rear cable approach. On mine, using the original levers, what used to be "fill" is now "auto" in Flow-Rite's system 3 (see documentation above), what used to be "empty" is now "recirc" in system 3, and what used to be nothing in the middle is now system 3's empty. A label maker helped tremendously...I just stuck new labels on it so I can easily see what's what.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360