Replacing Power Pole Bushings

I'm getting a little metal wear at the bottom bushing area. I'm thinking replacing the bushings might help prevent it from going further. Plus a marina said it would help limit wobble while running.
    Would replacing the bushings be helpful? How difficult is it?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Banned
    easy to do and of course it will help

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Very easy, were you checking your bolt tightness every 100 or so cycles. Most bushing wear we see this is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Very easy, were you checking your bolt tightness every 100 or so cycles. Most bushing wear we see this is the cause.
    What should they be torqued to?

5. Member
    Lower bushing bolt is to be tightened as tight as possible using hand tools. They do not give a torque spec.. This explanation is what is given in the latest revision of the owners/install manual.
    Bushing replacement will help but checking the bolt tightness after fishing trips will take care of the wobble. This really helps with the 10ft'rs that I have on my boat.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rampaage View Post
    Lower bushing bolt is to be tightened as tight as possible using hand tools. They do not give a torque spec.. This explanation is what is given in the latest revision of the owners/install manual.
    Bushing replacement will help but checking the bolt tightness after fishing trips will take care of the wobble. This really helps with the 10ft'rs that I have on my boat.

OK. So I have a bushing kit and am ready to roll.
    Any tips on doing the replacement? I understand I lower the poles to the ground. But can I do one point at a time? Or?

Done. I suggest if replacing the upper bushings on the lower section to ignore the instructions that say lower the poles to the ground. Lower them to about a foot above and place something to support it. Remove the bolt etc then remove the support object to pivot the pole down to access the bushings.
    My .02.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Done. I suggest if replacing the upper bushings on the lower section to ignore the instructions that say lower the poles to the ground. Lower them to about a foot above and place something to support it. Remove the bolt etc then remove the support object to pivot the pole down to access the bushings.
    My .02.
    solid advice for our members.

10. mikesxpress
    Replaced all of my bolts/bushings on these 8' PP's a few years ago. I have been using a ratchet strap to secure them tight to the transom right above the brackets and it stopped the majority of the road travel shaking that I believe causes the premature wear of the bushings. I fish 3+ days per week when it's not deer season and they are still tight.
    If your behind someone with PP's you can watch them shake. The blades shake worse and the 10' ones really move around.

Mike, can you post a photo of how you are securing them while traveling please?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. mikesxpress
    Yep.
    I bought the stainless ratchet straps. This stopped 90% of the shaking.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    trim tabs on a ranger? nice , how do you like them?

14. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    trim tabs on a ranger? nice , how do you like them?
    Came standard on the Intracoastal hulls. Transom is reinforced on these to take the additional pressure from the tabs. Any bass boat over 19' should come with tabs. No hole shot issues. Boat always comes up level with minimal bow rise. You can run much larger props. And the rough water adjustments with tabs allows you to reduce speed to < 30mph and still maintain proper attitude. No downside to tabs except when it comes to tightening the transom bolts and getting in between them and the PP's.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Pretty slick