An End That Is Bitter Sweet

Last Sunday morning we had a big rain storm barreling down on us, lots of rain predicted. I had a nice mature 8pt we had on camera earlier in the year. One of my good friends and a lease hunter here decided to let his 20 yr old son kill his Buck this year. 30 minutes before the rain started the buck stepped out about 175 yards away. He took the shot but we found very little blood. Their hunting in a very thick creek bottom that was already somewhat flooded. We searched till we were soaked and worried about being able to get out. Poor kid had a rough week.

We ended up getting about 3" over the next 3 days so No way I could get in there to search. Today we finally got back in, split up and started searching. Found the buck about 250 yards from where he shot him buried up in some thick brush. Kid was PUMPED, but sad at the waste of some good meat. He's a heck of a good shot and usually drops everything. We all sight in at 200 yards so the shot was not a tough one for him, just buck fever kicking in and he hit him a little far back.

Sure wish the rain would have held off a couple of hours, we would have probably found him. The buck doubled back and that's why we didn't find him the first time. Glad we solved the mystery but hate the waste. Buck is a little over 20" wide and scores a little over 130". Mature deer either 4 or 5 years old.
    Last edited by Stompy; 11-13-2016 at 08:23 PM.

2. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Congrats...
    LeaLea

3. Member

4. Member
    Cant stop mother nature, good job going back and finding him. Nice buck!

One of the hardest things there is to do is to go back a few days afterwards and find a downed deer...it's can be an impossible feat....I'm sure to him it was like finding a out of gold...congrats to you both...especially to him...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand