Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

appliance-dryer folks please step in

The warden (wife) told me our dryer isnt working--says it wont shut off and no heat--me thinks heat element and timer?
    or is it easier to come off the hip and bu another one--weve had this one about 10 years--kenmore--

2. Member
    If it's 10 years old, buy a new one. I just did. Washer cleans better with less water and dryer dries faster. Found one on sale at Lowes. Got 10% off by taking the floor model, it was the only one left. And got another 10% off for my son being a veteran.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    If it's 10 years old, buy a new one. I just did. Washer cleans better with less water and dryer dries faster. Found one on sale at Lowes. Got 10% off by taking the floor model, it was the only one left. And got another 10% off for my son being a veteran.
    This.

by the time you buy a new timer and element and if you have to pay for a service man you could have bought a new dryer.

A timer and heating element is a relatively inexpensive repair.It takes you longer to remove the screws that hold the back on than it does to actually replace the heating element. If you are mechanically inclined at all, both are a simple project.

If the dryer has a moisture sensor then chances are it is only the heating element, simple repair.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    What does the Warden say, it will ultimately be her decision.

8. Member
    --she actually said she dont care--well for now anyways well no wait let me rephrase that -At 0600 this morning she didnt care (or at least said she didnt care--om not good and translating that
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    What does the Warden say, it will ultimately be her decision.

9. Member
    When was the last time you cleaned out the vent hose. Im guessing its just the fuse located on the back. $15 dollar fix.
    Just takes an ohm meter to double check. If your not sure how to,,U-tube it. About 8,000 vids on how to fix it

10. Member
    hmmm--never i guess i can try that--good call--

11. Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar
    Fix that sucker ... you can do it....

Could be as simple as the high temp thermostat, a usual suspect. Assuming it's an electric dryer, make sure you're receiving 220 to the connection inside the dryer. The timer may not be shutting off as the moisture sensor is not allowing the cycle to complete. The other suspect is the element itself, again assuming an electric dryer. An ohmmeter is a quick diagnosis, either infinite resistance= bad element or some resistance= good element. I've resurrected my maytag many times. Much less expense than buying a new unit or matching pair.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A ten year old dryer is still new. I think most are thrown away because of the way they look rather than operate. Repairs are easy and cheap.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

A Google search could solve your problems. Google and Youtube can help you fix about anything without paying a repair man

15. Member
    I fixed mine by watching a youtube vid. I had to replace the belt and repair a burnt connection to the heating element. Took about an hour to tear it down and put it back together. Needed a beer can to repair it. No problem finding one of those around the house!

16. Member
    You know if you buy a new set then she will say the walls need painting. Then the floor will look shabby. It will be cheaper to fix it.

17. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timfish View Post
    The warden (wife) told me our dryer isnt working--says it wont shut off and no heat--me thinks heat element and timer?
    or is it easier to come off the hip and bu another one--weve had this one about 10 years--kenmore--

element under $100 likely and crazy simple to replace
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

18. Member
    I just had the same problem with my dryer. It turned out to be a burnt out element. Less then 20 bucks on ebay and 10 minutes to install and works like new. Tons of videos on youtube to walk you through it.

19. Member
    When you say doesn't shut off and not heating, sounds to me you have plugged venting and if running on auto cycle, will take forever. Element burns out as the result of concentrated heat in one spot. (Venting) . This is what I do every day. If the timer know never moves, you need a timer.

Check your breakers. One side is for tge heating element. Possible to run but no heat. Maybe a long shot but worth a check. If no heat it will sense the dryer needs to continue due to the clothes being damp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast