Low RPM's and loss of speed Pro Verado

Lost some RPM's and speed on a 2013 pro Verado..Serial number 2B023237 and model number 1251V13ED. Have dealt with this early on but found out I had a bad prop. Now I ran 3 different props and same thing getting 5890 to 5950 and loss of speed. Usually run it at 6290 so its at the dealer's now.

2. Member
    I have a similar issue with my 2016 350.get to 76 mph and it starts loosing speed,different props and different jack plate height do the same thing only different rpms.had a merc rep on it two days this week and has found nothing wrong,he was headed back with recorded data to go over to hopefully give me an answer.also my boat periodically won't start,maybe 2 outa 20 starts it won't start on the first try,2 or 3 tries later and it starts.couple other verado guys I know are having the starting issue,are you?

No mine starts right up I can remember periodically when it didn't start a few times but very rarely.

what fuel octane used? 87 will not be as strong as 91+.
    I had this happen to me, fuel station had filled tanks wrong. went back to 93 and power back

also, make sure limit sets haven't changed
    Last edited by 2500; 08-19-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DEdwards View Post
    Lost some RPM's and speed on a 2013 pro Verado..Serial number 2B023237 and model number 1251V13ED. Have dealt with this early on but found out I had a bad prop. Now I ran 3 different props and same thing getting 5890 to 5950 and loss of speed. Usually run it at 6290 so its at the dealer's now.
    Two simple items to check:

-What fuel (brand/octane grade) are you running?

-When was your fuel filter last changed?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

No issues on mine. Always run 91/93 no ethanol as well. Very easily can be low quality fuel.

You obviously know of the prop issues and how they can effect speed and R's. Depending on how old the prop is, you could have loss of cup in there as well. Many guys suffer from this after 6-12 months on a given prop. Loss of speed and prop looks good...but actually isnt. Usually depends on the water you run in. The dirtier the water, the quicker the cup goes away. It affects lift, speed and R's.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The fuel question is especially important, given your proximity to the Gulf region.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Well the last tank was 91 octane since I wanted ethanol free gas but typical burn 87.....so maybe bad gas you are saying? My dealer called yesterday and said he fully checked out my motor and it passed all the mercury tests. He said two spark plugs were not gaped correctly and one was a little loose. He re-gaped and tighten them and will run it today.

That should get it going. Loose plug isn't good.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would also change out the fuel filter while it's in there (even if it was done recently).

See a lot of fine particulate content in some of the higher-octane fuels, from the Gulf Region (often restricting filters at VERY low hours on the filter).

OK thanks Don...hopefully I will here something today. He was waiting for the wind to lay down to run it.

Just got a call and my trim limits reset somehow and was not letting the motor trim all the way up.....so at least it is fixed! I will change the fuel filter for sure as Don suggested.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back once you've had a chance to run it.

really neat how a little trim helps out, really need to do a sticky note on how to set trim limits if not at the top. You showed me in the manual and over phone. HELPED a TON.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

I didn't realize you could do that with out a Mercury program????

Quote Originally Posted by DEdwards View Post
    I didn't realize you could do that with out a Mercury program????
    I did mine by instructions on trailer leveled. set max high, set trailer height and full tuck.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

Ran it tonight all is good....somehow the rev limiter was reset to factory specs so I wasn't getting enough trim..RPmS back up to 6400.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    I did mine by instructions on trailer leveled. set max high, set trailer height and full tuck.
    You calibrated trim within Smartcraft.

You did NOT set the trim limits (requires the Computer Diagnostic System to do that).

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You calibrated trim within Smartcraft.

You did NOT set the trim limits (requires the Computer Diagnostic System to do that).
    Right, Merc mon, but they set my limits on laptop
    JEFF MURRAY USMC