Which carpet padding?

I'll be replacing the carpet on my on my TR-21 this winter and was looking for opinions on both carpet (leaning towards basscat or bassboatseats.com) and padding. What did you use for padding and would you recommend that particular pad? I don't plan on doing this project again on this boat so want it to be done right the first time around.

2. Member
    Pro Tech mats padding is who I'm going to go with. Have read its the best there is.

3. Member
    Been having a hard time sourcing the pro tech mat. Do you get from them direct, or are there other sources?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

4. Member
    Hi Mike.

I went w/ bassboatseats carpet pad. Good price and didn't have to pay $65 and wait 3 weeks to ship. Shipping was free.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Been having a hard time sourcing the pro tech mat. Do you get from them direct, or are there other sources?
    Called them directly today and ordered mat today.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton Chris View Post
    I went w/ bassboatseats carpet pad. Good price and didn't have to pay $65 and wait 3 weeks to ship. Shipping was free.
    Not sure why you would have to wait 3 weeks she told me today that they ship daily.

8. Member
    I just got some direct from Protec, took about 1 week to arrive. Price was same as bassboatseats.com (cheaper but had to pay shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by kstriton View Post
    Not sure why you would have to wait 3 weeks she told me today that they ship daily.
    I'm not sure either, the lady (Cindy I believe), said that it was outsourced and not on hand and would be 7-10 business days until order would be placed....
    I used BASSCAT 24oz and Bassboatseats.com pad...super comfy now.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

10. Banned
    did you pad just the front deck or all of the lids and rod boxes on front deck? Im carpeting a 96 bass cat and the only place I stand in on the very front of the deck.

11. Banned
    pic of the deck on mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cartrader View Post
    did you pad just the front deck or all of the lids and rod boxes on front deck? Im carpeting a 96 bass cat and the only place I stand in on the very front of the deck.
    I did the whole front deck, lids and all. Came out very good

13. Banned
    what glue got ptotec padding??

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton Chris View Post
    I went with them as well......Mine came and it is white on one side and black/gray on the other side. Which side glues down to the boat deck and which side is facing up to accept the carpet? I can't get this question answered by anyone. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Pro-Tech.. I began my attempt to order padding on 01/20. They have not been very responsive but I believe it’ll be worth the wait: it is widely considered the best padding on the market!

My boat is buried in snow now but would like to have the stuff to get it all done indoors as time permits. I have not ordered carpet because I REALLY want Syntec but can only find it in 8’ width for their 24oz... so I may have to go with bassboatseats (Syntec is also considered the one of the markets best products).

Iirc: Pro-Tech advises the use of Birdsong 454 adhesive. I intend to use commercial contact cement for both the pad and carpet... Spray contact cement was used on my carpet in 1999 and it’s still (for the most part) intact.

Quote Originally Posted by cartrader View Post
    what glue got ptotec padding??
    They only sold the birdsong in 5 gallon cans when I did my boat 2 years ago. I used weldwood contact cement from Lowes. Worked great. Been 2 years and no regrets or issues with the padding or glue.

Just an FYI, you’ll save about $60-70 to order your syntec carpet from Ranger instead of basscat. Basscat is high on their linear foot. Ranger will price you by the yard which comes out almost $3 less linear foot than basscat. Times that by 25’ and there’s your savings. Been doing it for years.