Side imaging on trolling motor

I want to get a good unit for upfront on my Tracker. Does side imaging work well on the trolling motor? Or should I just get down imaging.

2. Member
    I imagine it works well, but the waters I fish that expensive LSS transducer would make me a nervous wreck on a TM. I networked my console to my front on the last boat and plan to do the same on my new boat.

Side Imaging works great with the SI transducer on the trolling motor. Side Imaging is a Humminbird product.
    Side Scan not so much, have not seen any applications like that for SideVu or SideVision by the other companies.

Humminbird's Side Imaging is adjustable for the GPS speed so it works very well from Zero to about 12 mph.
    This is Side Imaging with a SI transducer on my trolling motor, sort of can see what the deal is at that speed:

The side looking imaging and the down looking imaging have the same sonar pulses (very thin front to back and wide to the sides). That is different than 2D sonar that have a somewhat inverted cone shaped pulse.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Fishbowl if you're going to do it hook up with someone like Wayne. He's forgotten more about SI and using electronics overall than most, including me, will ever know.

Somehow i I managed to break my partners bormal transducer protector down at the StickMarsh last year. I swear I can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet sometimes. No 300 dollar transducers us front fer me LOL.

If you are inclined to crash into stuff with your trolling motor, Transducer Shield and Saver has a mount that can handle just about anything.

This is their mount with the Humminbird HDSI transducer on my trolling motor. I fish in timber a lot, never damaged my transducer doing so:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I plan on getting another garmin striker 7sv for my bow to connect to the one at my console.

2016 Tracker 175txw w/60 HP Merc
    "New Generation" Vinyl Flooring
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Garmin Striker 4dv
    Minn Kota Maxuum 70lb Variable
    Minn Kota 3-Bank Charger

Marine Corps 2007-2013

I started the year with si up front and liked it. But I finally broke down and bought a 360. But I agree with above that Wayne can get ya straight in it all.

8. Member
    My Helix works great and I've got a transducer shield like Wayne.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    Thanks guys, looking to get a Helix 7 SI

Quote Originally Posted by fishbowl807 View Post
    If you do, exchange the included Compact SI transducer for the HDSI as pictured above. The larger transducer produces sharper images.

No not use the included transducer on the trolling motor. If you don't want to pay the difference in transducer cost, at least exchange for the Compact SI trolling motor PUCK.
    The HDSI and Compact SI PUCK have extra internal shielding to help with possible RFI from the trolling motor.

The SI PUCK looks like the larger one in this picture:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbowl807 View Post
    You'll love it.
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    How do I do the transducer exchange. I was on Hummingbirds website and didn't see anything about it

13. Member
    I love si on my tm. You just have to remember how it operates. Between the intermittent speeds and spinning the tm, you will get some blurred images. However, it is still very functional and a valuable tool. I find a lot of cool stuff while just fishing down the bank. Things I would never see otherwise. As said before, get the transducer shield and saver.

I have a garmin si on mine I love it also I slightly turn it at an angle towards bank and set unit to that side it only takes a few seconds to get a clear pic it really helps casting to submerged lay downs for sure

15. Member
    Hi Wayne, which works better on TM? DV? SI? 360? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you are inclined to crash into stuff with your trolling motor, Transducer Shield and Saver has a mount that can handle just about anything.

This is their mount with the Humminbird HDSI transducer on my trolling motor. I fish in timber a lot, never damaged my transducer doing so:

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    All work very well when trolling motor mounted. The 360 would have the least sharp images.
    BTW, that screen shot was deleted since I removed all my pictures from Photobucket--was no link to it.
    Here it is:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    This is an image from that transducer on a bow mounted SI unit, it is sort of usable:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I love the SI on the trolling motor on mine. Its a great tool. Just gotta mess with the settings and see what works best. I was on the fence too at the time til i seen waynes pics. Its worth it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Member
    Thank you basstrackeroptimax for your inputs!

Thank you Wayne, for sharing your rich knowledge and valuable experience! Particularly, your details and insights on technical aspects really have enriched me A LOT! Such as here: Humminbird's Side Imaging is adjustable for the GPS speed so it works very well from Zero to about 12 mph.

20. Member
    For consistency, I have identical Helix 7 G2N with the same si/di transducer. I use the console for SI/GPS and the TM mount for SI/DI. I also have a TM Guard. They work great.