Series 1 HPDI Hydro-Tech Phase II Questions

Hi Guys 4
    I did a Hydro-Tech Phase II Conversion on my '05 Series 1 300 HPDI about 5 years ago.
    I still have the standard 8 bit Series 1 ECU.
    We had a failure of # 3 piston last Monday (Zero Compression).
    Motor has 250 Hours since conversion.
    Compression on #1 Cylinder has also dropped to 115 (was 135)
    Compression on # 4 Cylinder is 125
    Am rebuilding # 3 Cylinder, probably #1 as well as #4 whilst the block is off.

I would appreciate some help on the following questions:

1) How high can I go with the Fuel Pressure Setting (Currently 980)?
    2) Can I use a 10 mm length basket micro filter (I cant find the 12 mm ones) on the Injectors and to replace the three "mystery / hidden" filters?
    3) Is there a colder plug available than the NGK BKR6EKU?

Many thanks in advance and all helpful comments welcome

Steve
    Steve Engelbrecht - Johannesburg, South Africa
    Ranger Z21, Yamaha V-Max HPDI 300, Minnkota, Lowrance HDS and Elite-Ti

My best advice would be to replace ALL the factory stock pistons with aftermarket before you lose another cylinder.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 187 View Post
    My best advice would be to replace ALL the factory stock pistons with aftermarket before you lose another cylinder.
    Thanks, I already have 6 factory pistons from a donar motor.....
    Figure that if they last another 5 years I'll be happy.
    Good Advice from You all the same, I would have gone that route if I was starting from scratch.

4. Member
    What Steve is trying to tell you is DO NOT use Yamaha pistons. Buy aftermarket. Ring locating pin issues. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 187 View Post
    Hi Steve & CJ1

Taking your good advice & ordering a full set of 6 Wisecos after the full strip down & examination of bores,domes & locating pins.
    CJ1 is spot on, I have four standard Yamaha hammers with serious pin issues, one pin is MIA from the #3 tube (zero compression). Thank goodness it was whilst idling up a no wake zone or things could have been a lot worse.
    Three of the hammers have "lost" their domes.
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Steve_SA; 08-19-2016 at 03:00 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_SA View Post
    Hi Steve & CJ1

Taking your good advice & ordering a full set of 6 Wisecos after the full strip down & examination of bores,domes & locating pins.
    CJ1 is spot on, I have four standard Yamaha hammers with serious pin issues, one pin is MIA from the #3 tube (zero compression). Thank goodness it was whilst idling up a no wake zone or things could have been a lot worse.
    Thanks guys.
    No problem, I would just hate to see you go through all that work and have these junk pistons let loose on you again. I was just informed that a good friend purchased his 05 300HPDI on a Blazer back that he had bought new. I installed the ph2 kit on it when it was new. Going to try to get him to replace the pistons before it lets loose. PLEASE check the clearance on the Wiseco pistons and follow their specs. I am guessing they are forged and require more clearance that the cast ones. [I don't think Wiseco builds a cast piston] Anyway they are a excellent piston, they just need different install specs than cast in most applications. Don't know about the outboard pistons they may be machined to the stock bore but just verify before buttoning it up. Sounds like you will have a solid engine when you are done! CJ

7. Member
    Just looked them up on Wiesco's site. They are machined to the stock bore or .020 to .040 with clearance. Port and starboard sides. I would still check if you can. Heck a feeler gauge will get you close but at least you will know. CJ

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Just looked them up on Wiesco's site. They are machined to the stock bore or .020 to .040 with clearance. Port and starboard sides. I would still check if you can. Heck a feeler gauge will get you close but at least you will know. CJ
    We are hoping to get away with honing, but if not, we will machine all tubes to 1st oversize according to Wiseco spec. #weekendchores.
    Once rebuilt, we plan to boost fuel pressure up to about 1100 then take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_SA View Post
    Hi Steve & CJ1

Thanks guys.
    Good choice.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

10. Member

Report Back on Wiseco Piston Rebuild on HPDI Series 1 Phase II Mod

Hi Guys

Been almost 12 months since the Stock Factory Piston Failure & about 10 months while since all 6 holes were filled with the Wiseco Piston Kits & broken in.

So far, (About 40 hours or so), no issues whatsoever, the old beast is running sweet. (Thanks again for the good advise)

The only concern that I have is the "Idle on 4 Cylinder" mapping on the ECU. I would prefer all 6 hammers working in "Idle Mode" so that the pistons & rings can all warm up and expand at the same time......

Does anyone know of a "work-around" (aside from cruising around the Tourney Start Area) for this?

Thanks in Advance

11. Member
    I would ask Hydro Tec.