200 pro xl with new Mercury 225 pro xs

I just repowered my 200 pro xl Stratos with a225 pro xs. The dealership put a 26p 3 blade tempest prop on it. Carry it out and do the breakin time. When I try to get on plane it struggling really bad. Takes more than 50 yards. It also will not run over 5000 rpm. Anyone got any suggestions? Is it my prop? Or is my motor mounted to high because it runs best with jack plate all the way down?

2. Member
    For the holeshot, you need to adjust the PVS plugs in the prop and play with your prop to pad measurement.

For the WOT rpms, you should be looking at your prop to pad height as well. I would think a 26p tempest is about right for your boat.

3. Member
    Yeah I adjusted the plugs yesterday no change. I will check my prop to pad today

4. Member
    Whats your current PVS plug setup

5. Member
    I started with all plugs in and one at time took out and with all out it wouldn't even break over on plane with out breaking over

6. Member
    These guys hopefully can help you but I have a 08 201 with same engine gen one gear case and it jumps up in about two seconds with both a 25 tempest or fury. I'm setting around 3 an a quarter with a Manuel six inch plate first I would probable address why your only running 5000 even if the 26 is to big and on the 200 xl probably not it should turn it a lot more than that.

A 225 on that hull should turn your 26 to max RPM no problem. Make sure it's getting full throttle, may be they didn't set it up right and it's not opening all the way up.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Banned
    What lower unit do you have? Huge difference in props needed between wingmaster and gen1. I went through it and might be able to help with set up.

9. Member
    Tourque master lower

10. Banned
    Go with 8" jackplate, prop to pad 2 and a quarter, 27 tempest plus prop with 3 large plugs. You will have a 78 mph rocket ship on your hands.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sesfarm View Post
    Tourque master lower
    Yes but is it a Gen 1 or Gen 2 (wingmaster). What year is the motor if you don't know the lower.

I would assume since you were doing break in, the motor is brand new, thus would have the wingmaster.

12. Member
    It is brand new

13. Member
    I've got a 8 inch hydraulic on it now. I had ptp at 2.25

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A1 View Post
    Yes but is it a Gen 1 or Gen 2 (wingmaster). What year is the motor if you don't know the lower.

I would assume since you were doing break in, the motor is brand new, thus would have the wingmaster.
    Like he said gen one or gen two ask dealor if you don't know I'm assuming gen two wing master need to know to get maximum help here.

15. Member
    They are some others that have put the wingmaster on similar boats I believe. Hopefully they can help you out.

Do we know the amount of setback of the gearcase from the pad? I remember Don stating a 24" minimum or something when the gearcase was first released. It causes issues for some.

16. Banned
    If you have the wingmaster same set up but run a 26 bravo. It is slower by 2-3 mph but handles 100% better than with a 27 tempest plus. My tempest would blow out with the new lower unit but once I was able to get up on plane 77 mph but you have to drive it.

Yea, you should see 75-76 with that set-up.... I ran a 27P Tempest on my 08 200XL but it was an Evinrude ETec HO 225.... Almost sounds like you have lost a cylinder (meaning injector or no spark). Take it back to the dealer IMO... This sounds a lot more than just a set-up problem. That prop should shoot you right out of the hole, no problem... Let us know.