Thread: Fuel issue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, Is anybody think the fuel level and that filter is normal. Or should it be full completely all the time. Thanks

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Ok, at lake today. Motor ran flawless all morning. Around noon started starving for fuel again. Vapor lock, maybe. Anyone have any suggestions would be well appreciated. New siphon valve on the tank, new hose and bulbs to motor, New fuel filter, New mechanical pump, VST tank cleaned.
    Maybe bad pressure switch ?
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 09-05-2016 at 12:53 PM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Any ideas guys. Idling bulb going slack, sometimes you can pump bulb and it will flow in wrong drection. Bulb will take fuel back to tank. Yes new bulb arrow right way and slightly down hill. To much pressure in VST tank. Getting pressure gauge.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Level in the fuel filter will vary with running conditions, depending on whether or not the VST needle is open or closed.

Usually varies within 1/2" of the halfway mark (up or down).

As for your other problem- are you sure that the needle in that VST is not sticking? Pump doesn't draw fuel in if the OUTLET side is blocked (at the needle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Level in the fuel filter will vary with running conditions, depending on whether or not the VST needle is open or closed.

Usually varies within 1/2" of the halfway mark (up or down).

As for your other problem- are you sure that the needle in that VST is not sticking? Pump doesn't draw fuel in if the OUTLET side is blocked (at the needle).
    Thanks, I cleaned it, and motor ran extremely good better than it ever has actually. Until around noon 4 hours later it started doing the same thing again. so maybe the needle just needs to be replaced. Thanks Don
    email to Rhonda.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 09-06-2016 at 12:35 PM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Be sure to report back once it's been replaced (and all inside is "surgical-suite clean").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Be sure to report back once it's been replaced (and all inside is "surgical-suite clean").
    will do, thanks Don

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Ok, Clean and I mean brand new clean. New needle kit. No change . Motor will run without shutting down. Pump bulb to full and hard. Will idle for a few minutes. Then fuel will fall in fuel filter to only a 1/8-1/4" in the bottom. It will still run. While running pump bulb back to full and it just sounds better.

One thing to note. Is all this started about the same time my volts started running lower then normal. From 14.1 at wot and at idle. To 12.9-13.1 at idle, and 13.5-13.7 at wot.

Could this be some of the problem. Maybe not sufficient power to high pressure pump in VST tank. Any ideas.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's table the voltage question for the moment (not necessarily forget it... but I do believe it's unrelated).

When you ran this engine on a SEPARATE (portable) fuel supply tank, with it's OWN line and bulb, where (exactly) did you connect?

You have been through virtually every component of the supply system at this point- something (likely something simple) is being, or has been overlooked.

Wondering if perhaps when fuel lines were installed they were forced on "cold and dry" (ripping or folding the inner liner over the barb and creating a restriction).

Earlier in the thread, you indicated you could run about 4 hours with no problems, then it would start starving for fuel. Now it sounds like it's 4 minutes at idle and the engine shuts down/dies. Correct?

No motor will not shut down. Pump bulb up tight and you can rev rpms up a 1000 or so and back off. Motor. Will not stumble going to idle. Let it idle for about 3-5 mins. Fuel drops to almost non- existent in the filter. But still runs rev up and it will stumbled trying to get to idle and just run rough until you pump bulb then it evens out and run smooth for another 4 minutes or so until the fuel will start dropping again.

The only thing not replaced is the elbow connection at the front of the motor that fuel line connects to. The fitting on the end of the fuel line and everything else to the tank is new.

I actually put a small amount of grease on each barb fitting to help the hose. Paid close attention to the clear liners.

1 thing to note also is you can pump bulb up,filter full. Trim motor up to trailering position and stop. Fuel filter will drain, lower motor back to vertical. Motor will still run but rough but has never cut off. Pump the ball back up while running then. And it run smoother.

When fuel filter is empty and motor running. You can actually see no fuel being pumped in. Take fuel line off filter while motor is running and the fuel pump is pumping fuel.

The elbow fitting it on the front of the motor has that little needle valve in it. Have had air blown through it with pushing the needle lien do not believe it is clogged.

I used the new fuel line that I have now on a portable tank and it still had the same problem but it was connecting to the front fitting on the motor as usual. So should I use a portable tank and connected straight to the filter and see what happens ?

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Ok replaced every hose clamp with steel type screw down clamps. Instead of using a friends tank. I actually went and bought a 6 gallon tank with all new lines, bulb and fittings. Only difference is size of hose diameter. It is 3/8s instead of 5/16. All scenarios going through fittings to motor with separate tank new lines to fitting in motor. And even running the line straight to the fuel filter all had the same result. Except the run with the 3/8 hose straight to the filter. In that scenario the fuel would stay 1/3 to 1/2 of filter. Tilting the motor up it would drop down but would quickly fill back up to half to one third from the bottom of fuel filter. All other scenarios would only keep it at 1/8" to 1/4" off the bottom. When tilting the motor up. It would drain completely out till motor stumbled for a second, but still run. Then tilting the motor down, it would only come back up to about a quarter of an inch from the bottom. Just enough fuel to cover the plastic bottom of the fuel filter inside. I'm thinking I should just run 3/8" lines from nipple on splash well all the way to the filter and take out all fittings except for primer bulb. From the splash well nipple to tank everything is 3/8 already. I am from nipple at splash will everything to the filter now including fittings it's all 5/16 inch.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DON'T change fuel line lengths.

All of your above testing has simply demonstrated that the fuel filter does not refill.

And it won't- unless the VST needle is OPEN.

If fuel is pumping from the line when disconnected from the filter, the problem is DOWNSTREAM of that point (the filter, or the VST).

BTW... what happens when you put the engine in gear, in the water, and attempt to run it at 3500+ RPM's?

Pm sent.
    It will run, at all rpm range, but if you're idling. And you move the motor from the down position to a trailering position for shallow water. Once it reaches that top. It will stumble. Does not shut down, but it will stumble. And runs a little rough. When motor is down and all rpm range the motor runs fine. The fuel level in the filter seems low to me. When you raise the motor up. It seems to empty the filter completely. You can see fuel pumping in but it never goes above quarter full. When motor goes back down it will stay at that quarter full . Just above the plastic bottom on the fuel filter. So it doesn't take much movement for it to empty.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 09-21-2016 at 08:19 AM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

if this is normal then I'm done but I do not believe it is.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You may not have the float in the VST set correctly.

Keep in mind, the design of the VST is intending that it be "generally" level. The engine was not intended to run in the trailer position (or even near the trailer position).

If the float was set LEVEL (when you invert the top of the VST, the float should be parallel to the top cap of the VST), then you probably are just witnessing the results of tilting the engine beyond it's intended "trim range" while running.

Motor, Ser # 1B269886
    Ok, float and everything is correct but I did find a problem. With ( on Mercury parts schematic for VST – ( USA-1B036614/BEL-OP340242 and above) which is the VST tank I have. I need item number 14, and number 3. Number three is just getting a little worn out from all the taking out, so I want to replace it. Number 14 has a swirl cut across the top running halfway down. I must've done this reinstalling it and didn't see it it didn't appear to be affecting anything but it needs to be replaced. So Don I'll be calling. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 09-21-2016 at 04:13 PM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

As far as the trim angle goes if you are in 2 1/2 feet of water and you are in a no wake zone and you want to trim the motor up to just above the bottom of the boat, and the cav plate is still below the water line. That's how high I'm talking about. Are you saying that is to high for this motor. Other than that I'm really not following what you meant. Thanks

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The engine is designed to run properly within approximately 25 degrees of the FULL DOWN position. Any angle above that point may adversely affect the level of fuel in the VST (and the delivery of fuel from the VST), as the float is likely pinned UP by fuel that moved to the front of the VST as the engine was tilted.

The engine is designed to run properly within approximately 25 degrees of the FULL DOWN position. Any angle above that point may adversely affect the level of fuel in the VST (and the delivery of fuel from the VST), as the float is likely pinned UP by fuel that moved to the front of the VST as the engine was tilted.
    This I do, know.

I believe this is my problem. This is why, I think it will run so good each time everything is taking apart and cleaned. Each time the filter and VST is drained, this is what I find. This is a fuel filter new (not run) on right and one with only a hour run time on it on the left. I believe it's coming from the fuel tank. Because the one hose that runs from fitting, at front of motor to the filter. Has no sign of degeneration. And everything from front of motor to fuel tank is new.The other day when fishing. The motor ran fine until later in the day. But at that time, it only had about an hour of run time on it. Going to drain tank a flush it. May even replace the tank. With smaller size. To ensure, always having fresh fuel. No matter how well it's treated. Thoughts, Thanks.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

This is what I started with. When all this started.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast