Helix 10 temporary loss of charts

I was fishing this weekend and my one Helix 10 kept loosing it chart contour lines and all details of the map, I would zoom in and they would come back, move out and lose them again? Then doing nothing they would just come back? It did this on and off through the day. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Did you notice if the "Loading Charts" popup at the top showed right before the contours came back ... ??

If so, you may be losing connection of the map card ...

This could be from dirty contacts on the map card ...or the card reader failing ...

Rickie

3. Member
    That loading charts did not pop up, it was very strange. Like I had said it was gone then I zoomed way in and it came, I zoomed out and it was gone againg....zoom back in it was back? After a few minutes ot came back normal? It did this three or four times through the day.

Not unusual to not get contour lines sometimes when you change the Zoom Range.

If you have a large size map card, every setting you do affects all the mapping on the card the same amount. If you are running on plane, all the data on the map card is moving the same amount also, when you change zoom levels too, that is just more processing that has to occur at the same time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I know this is an old thread, but has anybody else been having this issue? My dad had this trouble all four days we were on Kentucky lake last week. His are also Helix 10's, he swapped the front 10 with the 10 at the console with no change, swapped cards from each unit with no change, and still would just lose all data outside of 500 ft and quarter mile views depending on the day. It would stay like that for most of the day and then magically start working again.

Just had this problem today on my 1199. Randomly lost all map info. Zoom out enough it would come back. Then would decide to work again. Very annoying.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

7. Member
    Hi, I was the original poster. The only thing I have been able to determine with my unit is that its caused by one of my chips. I have two types of different chips, I have premium east that I run in both my units and a great lakes marine chip that I only have one of them. What I have noticed is I only have issues with my one unit and its when I am running the great lakes chip. There are times that if I have that chip plugged in my unit will not even go past the start up screen, if I start the unit up then plug it in I get the screen loose issues talked about above.......seems like a chip issue to me. I have never had an issue if I am only running my east chips

8. Member
    Is the "great lakes marine chip" a Navionics card?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

9. Member
    yes it is a nav caed

10. Member
    We've tried multiple cards and swapped units front and back with no change. Really odd.

11. Member
    I was having the same issue. For some reason the "new" chips are actually "mini" SD chips and an adapter. Try reseating the mini chip, back into the adapter, this has worked "several" times which means the mini chip is not seated well and unseats over time. Cant stand these new chips!! They need to go back to regular SD cards!!! At $179 you would think they would lean towards reliability over cost savings. Hope this works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by woody135 View Post
    I was having the same issue. For some reason the "new" chips are actually "mini" SD chips and an adapter. Try reseating the mini chip, back into the adapter, this has worked "several" times which means the mini chip is not seated well and unseats over time. Cant stand these new chips!! They need to go back to regular SD cards!!! At $179 you would think they would lean towards reliability over cost savings. Hope this works for you.
    Some sonar/GPS units have microSD readers. Humminbird and Lowrance use them. That is why the map companies use microSD and include a SD adapter.

The Humminbird Helix 5 and Helix 7 series have microSD readers.
    I think the Lowrance HDS Gen3 units have microSD readers.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL