Thread: ALX rods

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
    What’s the Mcsmalls zolo that I’m seeing teased?
    Stay tuned... they are coming into stock this week...

2. Member
    Trophy pike and 30-40” reds

Quote Originally Posted by YnR View Post
    Trophy pike and 30-40” reds
    Most likely a custom rod - but give us a call when you have time 866-628-5052. Need to dig into casting vs spinning, desired length, bait size, etc.

4. Member
    I did not have a positive experience with ALX. Their ZOLO Trickster I bought a few weeks earlier broke on my very first time out, very first fish (little smallmouth bass) and they did not warranty it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcarrol View Post
    I did not have a positive experience with ALX. Their ZOLO Trickster I bought a few weeks earlier broke on my very first time out, very first fish (little smallmouth bass) and they did not warranty it.
    So you " high stick " a rod and it breaks, now you want to cry foul. Yes it was new but sounds like was used incorrectly, you think Loomis ,Dobyns,Shimano or others would replace for free for misuse ? Maybe you need to rethink landing techniques or switch to Ugly sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcarrol View Post
    To be transparent on our end - here is our original communication:

Our warranty department reviewed the ZOLO Trickster #(serial #). We reviewed it for the following issues – bad tack, loose roll, dents, bumps, dry spots, misaligned fibers, over sanding, and damage during assembly (cut marks, etc). We did not find any of these issues present.

According to the explanation, it sounds like the rod was overloaded when you reached down to lip the fish. It doesn’t meet what is needed for a free warranty replacement.

We do however realize the rod is newer so we do want to help you out. The Sureset replacement program for times like this. This allows you to replace a rod one time per rod at a discount. The ZOLO replacement charge would be $140 ($110 rod +$30 shipping).
    In this case we can waive the shipping fee and do $110.

Let us know if you want to use the Sureset replacement and we will process it.

After that, I personally reviewed the issue, partly due to the response we received. I followed up and offered another option. I did share the following information with our customer:

This was escalated to me for a couple of reasons - one because of how quickly the break occurred and the second because of the tone of your email. Anytime a customer is noticeably angry (judging by the terms used), it's always brought to my attention. I also like to know when rods break very quickly after purchase.

I took a look at the rod myself. I do believe my warranty personnel made the right call. Based on the way the rod broken and the explanation, it does appear the rod failed because it was pushed past its designed limits. I also am happy to see my staff offered a reduced replacement because this happened quickly. That's not standard and I'm happy they are working to take care of customers.

I believe we came to a good, solid agreement after this exchange. Unfortunately, this has not been shared as publicly. While I'm not a huge fan of posting things, I do feel we have the right to share once we have been called out publicly. Thanks for the opportunity to stand behind the products we produce!

Update: We issued a full refund for the purchase so he may find a rod brand that fits him better. Thankfully we can do that since it was a direct purchase. We feel he is satisfied with this agreement and are satisifed that the outcome was best for us both.
    Last edited by cidgrad; 03-23-2021 at 08:17 PM.

7. Member
    Most rod manufacturers will tell you if there's a defect in a blank it will break early thus why warranties are getting shorter. I guess ALX doesn't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    Most rod manufacturers will tell you if there's a defect in a blank it will break early thus why warranties are getting shorter. I guess ALX doesn't agree.
    Defective blanks 99.9% of the time show up early... but that doesn't mean that all early breaks are only from defects. I think most manufacturers will agree to that as well. Anytime one breaks quickly, it gets extra attention because that is a red flag for a defect for us.

9. Member
    I think you guys went above and beyond. You are a lot kinder then I would have been. I think most would agree user shared responsibility for his problem.

10. Member
    I've had good experiences with ALX.

The amount of high sticking and ridiculous boat flipping I see in the bass community is beyond comprehension to me. I'm surprised more rods aren't broke at a faster pace.

11. Member
    I recently converted all of rods to ALX (all zolo's and 1 ikos), I would not hesitate to recommend them to everyone. As goes with almost anything, you really only ever hear about "problems", not so much about everyone who is happy and content. I would be happy to be affiliated with ALX rods and what they represent. All the rods I have are exactly what I want and expect!

12. Member
    I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with ALX as well. I’m just a weekend warrior but have 12 ALX rods (both Zolos and Ikos) and love them all. Alex has always gone above and beyond to answer my questions. My friend is buying most of my Ikos so I’ll be needing more Zolos!

Quote Originally Posted by masterbasser View Post
    I recently converted all of rods to ALX (all zolo's and 1 ikos), I would not hesitate to recommend them to everyone. As goes with almost anything, you really only ever hear about "problems", not so much about everyone who is happy and content. I would be happy to be affiliated with ALX rods and what they represent. All the rods I have are exactly what I want and expect!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    So you " high stick " a rod and it breaks, now you want to cry foul. Yes it was new but sounds like was used incorrectly, you think Loomis ,Dobyns,Shimano or others would replace for free for misuse ? Maybe you need to rethink landing techniques or switch to Ugly sticks.
    High sticking was my first thought as well given his description of the incident.

15. Member
    I have caught a few fish in my life guys and I have had very few rods break on me while actually fishing. The last one I remember a few years ago was a rod I had for a long time that I assumed maybe someone stepped on in my boat and caused a bad spot. But this one was brand new first time out, just a few throws in, and I most definitely did not overload it. If reaching over the side of the boat to lip a tiny bass while holding up the rod in the other hand is "high sticking", I guess I have never seen this method break any of my other rods before. I do not boat flip fish as others described and yes I do have Shimano, Loomis, and Dobyns rods that I have been fishing with for years. My landing methods have held up to those brands just fine, so you keyboard warriors suggesting an Ugly Stick for a high sticker can go pound sand.
    Alex handled the situation professionally and I am thankful for the resolution. I should not have started flaming ALX so hard on this board, but I let my temper get to me over their initial response. For that I do apologize.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456