Thread: ALX rods

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hbnel5on View Post
    Okay. Someone give me a toad face to winch on some this fall with. I want to be a believer

Have you you held a Toadface? I'll be home Saturday. Your more than welcome to see what you think.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    No offense taken. I'm just glad to have the chance to talk more about what's behind our rods. I always get concerned with generalized comments on forums as they tend to stick and be used by people who haven't had a rod in hand or on the water. One thing to consider - there is no standard industry for what is a Med, MedHvy, etc. To me, many folks MedHvy is way too stiff. Go figure.

The Toadface was designed and tested on fish in Santee Cooper grass and pads and the hydrilla in the Cooper River. My personal Toadfaces are strung with Sufix 832 50#. Attached is a fish caught on a Toadface on Santee and you can see what she came out of behind me. I like big baits and big fish too. I routinely spend more time in this stuff than on clear water lakes. It's also where I spent my first 20 years of fishing.

I don't know any southern bass fishermen who "play" fish on 50# braid in slop. Wouldn't make sense to design a rod for frogs that can't do that. I would just ask to not always assume that because we're located in one area, we don't take the care to ensure our rods are designed to fish in a variety of locations.

That said, everyone has preferences and it's why we have a variety of rods. The Promise 73 may fit you closer and is lower priced. It has a stiffer tip than the Toadface. The Toadface as designed to really let you walk and rip a frog while having the backbone to extract. Most frog rods are just extraction tools and don't have a tip to be able work one. Personally I like both rods and do use both, but always lean to the Toadface when I know I am going to have work a frog a little more for the big bite.
    i guess that's where my differences come into play. I Never work a frog in open water or pads. If I am
    fishing a frog it is in matted vegetation so a tip has never concerned me except for casting purposes

3. Member
    I haven't caught a fish on my toadface yet. I did catch a 7.5 throwing a 90 plopper on the Dream and it was a catch I will never forget. I have caught multiple fish in the 5-7 range fishing a jig on the Deputy and my experience is the Zolo Series is the deal!

4. Member
    Alex, any plans on adding a 7'2"-7'4" spinning rod for us Great Lakes tube guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
    Alex, any plans on adding a 7'2"-7'4" spinning rod for us Great Lakes tube guys?
    We have been getting more requests for spin rods - both short and long.

I got your email on it a little while back. If I didn't respond - I meant to (trying to manage everything with our growth has made me miss a few things lately - so I apologize).

It's on the agenda. We're constantly looking at ways to improve our line up, just have to figure out what/when/etc.

Please send ideas and suggestions. It's VERY helpful!

6. Member
    We have been getting more requests for spin rods - both short and long.

I got your email on it a little while back. If I didn't respond - I meant to (trying to manage everything with our growth has made me miss a few things lately - so I apologize).

It's on the agenda. We're constantly looking at ways to improve our line up, just have to figure out what/when/etc.

Please send ideas and suggestions. It's VERY helpful!
    PM sent to you Alex

Got a question for you Alex. When are your going to have more promise 73's in stock and do you have any plans on doing a crankbait rod in the IKOS series?

8. Member
    Alex....keep up the good work! I've got 5 of your rods and love setting the hook on the Guntersville fat girls with them! You're doing a great job buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Got a question for you Alex. When are your going to have more promise 73's in stock and do you have any plans on doing a crankbait rod in the IKOS series?
    We just had 2 put in stock on our website after we filled back orders and more are being built now. That rod has really taken off this year!

Yes - we do want to bring in a crankbait rod into the IKOS line. We feel that is important. We just haven't gotten a rod blank we are happy with yet. It also got postponed due to the ENOX and EXPERT rods coming out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gvillehoggr View Post
    Alex....keep up the good work! I've got 5 of your rods and love setting the hook on the Guntersville fat girls with them! You're doing a great job buddy!
    Thank you!

11. Member
    Never tried ALL, how do they compare to Kistler? I have mostly Kistler and JB Customs.
    Last edited by wanderer1121; 08-21-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: oops dang spell check

12. Member
    does anyone outside of quantum, loomis, power tackle, shimano and dobyns know how to make a rod? I have never heard of these guys and I have been fishing since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    does anyone outside of quantum, loomis, power tackle, shimano and dobyns know how to make a rod? I have never heard of these guys and I have been fishing since 1983

Seriously? Alx has a some awesome rods. I had all shimano cumara and exprides. I then tried an Alx zolo Toadface and sold all my rods and got all Alx zolo and ikos. Nexcellent rods for the money and customer service is top notch.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    You really need to get out more!

15. Member
    ALX rods are awesome rods. Ive got a few, mostly doubles because I got them for my girlfriend that tournament fishes with me. The Toadface is the "heaviest" action rod I have from them. The toadface is a great frog rod but in my opinion it really shines as a swim jig rod. Ive caught alot of fish swimming a jig with this rod. The Deputy is a do it all rod. Killer texas rig rod and smaller jig rod. I use the Dream rod teamed with a Steez SV for my shakey head fishing. In my opinion they rank right up there with the more expensive rods. Give them a try. You wont regret it.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

16. Banned
    Thank you!
    Alex how would the deputy be for buzzbaits? Does it have some tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Alex how would the deputy be for buzzbaits? Does it have some tip?
    As long as you are throwing about 1/2 oz, you'll be good. a 1/4 oz isn't going to get a ton of distance on the cast. The Dream would be better.

18. Banned
    As long as you are throwing about 1/2 oz, you'll be good. a 1/4 oz isn't going to get a ton of distance on the cast. The Dream would be better.
    Cool I'll order one today. Thanks!

19. Member
    Alex please share your thoughts on the Speedfury. I'm having trouble keeping a rod for 3.5-4.5" paddletail swimbits. Mostly open water smalles and I love the length of the Speedfury. Weights would be 3/8-1/2oz and I like a softer rod than most almost like a mod-fast med-heavy crank stick. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    Alex please share your thoughts on the Speedfury. I'm having trouble keeping a rod for 3.5-4.5" paddletail swimbits. Mostly open water smalles and I love the length of the Speedfury. Weights would be 3/8-1/2oz and I like a softer rod than most almost like a mod-fast med-heavy crank stick. Thanks
    I don't really see the SpeedFury as a fit. Most 3.5-4.5" paddletails are going to overload the tip. It's really designed more for flukes and weightless type baits. Really the SpeedFury was designed for herring lakes in the Southeast where that super fluke bite is a mainstay. It's one of the few regional type rod models we have.

If you like a mod-fast crank type style - you may want to look at the grind. It's going fish a lot like the Crank but have more power in it. I know this is a little longer but length will give you a longer cast for the open water fish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast