Interference with US2 sonar and garmin trolling motor transducer and ps-21?

Hey Fellas - planning on running double units at the bow. 93sv with transducer mounted on trolling motor. Will also mount the ps-21 to the shaft. Planning on running a helix 9 for gps purposes only to link up with the minn kota.

My question is - if I connect the helix 9 to the US2 via the minn kota, will I see interference with the 93sv transducer or ps-21?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlien3 View Post
    Hey Fellas - planning on running double units at the bow. 93sv with transducer mounted on trolling motor. Will also mount the ps-21 to the shaft. Planning on running a helix 9 for gps purposes only to link up with the minn kota.

My question is - if I connect the helix 9 to the US2 via the minn kota, will I see interference with the 93sv transducer or ps-21?

Thanks!
    In general, Humminbird units do not "play well" with other units of either the same brand or a different brand. The most used solution for multiple units involving Humminbird is to use networked units that all look through ONE transducer. The primary reason is that the Hbird requires 200 kHz to be working to get the depth that is used in the SI algorithm. Not that long ago both 200 and 83 operated at the same time regardless of the settings but I am told that the newer units can turn off 83 now, but not 200. I compare this to pulling a load with a chain. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link. With the limitations of the Helix 9 the Garmin unit would have to be adjusted to accommodate those limitations. Here they are:
    1. Helix 9 comes with compact Si transducer. It's SI only runs on 455 kHz. So the Garmin would have to be set on 800 kHz to avoid interference.
    2. Helix runs 200 all the time. You'll have to set the Garmin to run on something else. It comes with the GT52 chirp transducer (150-240 kHz). Most likely you'll have to turn chirp off and set the GT52 to run on either 150 or 240.

Now it looks like I am bashing Hbird but really I'm not. I ran Hbird for years and some of my frustration with them is showing on their self imposed limitations. All the companies use all kinds of methods to maximize profits. The price of the Helix 9 looks attractive but is deceptive. I absolutely would not get the 9 without working it out on their support line to be able to trade up to get the HDSI transducer. It's my understanding that the compact Si xd has to be unused, unopened to be able to trade up. There is an added cost for the trade plus the shipping costs. If you go with Hbird, my advice would be to get the Helix 10 to begin with. It comes with the HDSI xd.

Another alternative is to not use the GT52 and just use the 93sv for Panoptix exclusively. For that arrangement you should not have any interference problems for the Helix 9 or Helix 10 and you gain the 455/800 selectivity on the Hbird and a much better transducer.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply.

So you're thinking it would be best to link my helix 12 at the console with the helix 9 or 10 and run them both on the 12 transducer? Then run the 93sv solely at the bow..

4. Member
    Thats a hard choice to make and lwinchester2 brings up some good points.

I would be tempted to use the helix 12 for sideview/downview - it will do those better than the Garmin. Then I would use the 93 for Panoptix and 2D - it will do those much better than the Humminbird.

Id use whichever one had the best maps for the specific lake you were on for charting. Over all, I Like the Garmin for charting but they dont have some lakes the Humminbird does.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    Wow! Didn't know you had a Helix 12 at the console. So I take it that you already have the HDSI xd mounted on the transom. This is going to be a nice setup. Now it really doesn't matter except for the 9-10 inch difference in the screen size. That probably matters more to others than me. I consider 8 to be minimum. Yes run the both off the 12 transducer AND: Figure out how to mount the GT52 on the trolling motor. Some people have difficulty doing this, but I would stay after it until I could. I really, really like having side sonar at the bow and transom. It's a percentage thing and maybe not a high percentage thing but there are times I catch more fish because I do this. What you see at the bow and the transom is nearly always different. More info----more fish. I have Lowrance LSS1 on the transom and vary based on time of year and depth I am focused on whether to use the GT50/51/52 on the trolling motor.

Looks like you already had this figured out. Neither the 9 or 10 have chirp so you probably won't have the chirp function of the 12 at the bow. If you are in a situation where you needed chirp at the bow you could turn it on, on the 93sv and yes, you'll probably get some interference on both units at the bow. It can be surprising sometimes how much interference you can put up with if you are catching fish. Good plan----go for it.

6. Member
    Thanks guys!

7. Member
    Just read this post and I am struggling with what to do. I have a helix 9 sonar gps g2 unit already running on my ulterra us2 Transducer. The sonar with this Transducer is not good (settings?). With that being said I want panoptix up front and was gonna buy the new PS22-TR and a Garmin 93sv which I already have two at the console and one running panoptix off the transom. I want di and si. My plan was to ditch the us2 and buy a better Transducer for the helix. But I know all that would cause interference. I am confused !!