Motorguide 24v xi5 wiring issues

So I have the batteries wired as I should and I have 26 volts at the bow on fully charged batteries. But when I connect to the motorguide wires on my xi5 I only get a red light meaning batteries are dead or faulty connection. But like I said I have 26 volts at the wires. It's brand new out of the box so I'm stumped what to do. Anyone run into this before or have any suggestions/remedies?

2. Member
    Is this with the tm deployed?

If so there is probably something wrong with it and you will need to call them up for repair or replacement. Hopefully you bought it from a top notch vendor like Jones'

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Is this with the tm deployed?

If so there is probably something wrong with it and you will need to call them up for repair or replacement. Hopefully you bought it from a top notch vendor like Jones'
    Nope it still in my garage mounted on the bow, as soon as I connect the wires up the battery indicator light on the motor turns red. Manual says batteries are low, bad connection and/or call service center. The book really doesn't say much at all so I'm not sure what's wrong.

4. Member
    Are you connecting through a plug. Make sure the wiring from the trolling motor to the battery wires are the correct polarity.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Are you connecting through a plug. Make sure the wiring from the trolling motor to the battery wires are the correct polarity.
    No I'm hardwiring it. The wires were already there from an old 24v motorguide I'm replacing. Sorry if I sound dumb but how would I check the polarity. I've installed 100's of car stereo systems but this is the first time I've messed with a 24v system.

6. Member
    A meter is the easiest way. You could also check the color of the wires where they are attached to the battery assuming they are run continuously from front to back.

Personally my I would never hook something like that up without checking polarity and voltage.

7. Member
    Ok I checked the polarity on the batteries which both are +13v each and at the cable ends the positive wire is +26v.

8. Member
    With the trolling motor connected, what is the battery voltage? It is possible you have a bad connection in the wiring that is causing a voltage drop, telling the trollingmotor the battery(s) are low
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    With the trolling motor connected, what is the battery voltage? It is possible you have a bad connection in the wiring that is causing a voltage drop, telling the trollingmotor the battery(s) are low
    Ok I'll check that this afternoon when I get home. I'm going to pull batteries out of my dads boat and try some different cable too to eliminate any possibilities even though mine seem fine.

10. Member
    Finally got it working today, boat had two factory fuse breaker resets which was my problem. Not sure what was wrong with them because they're the same size as one I got today but they both wouldn't work correctly. I bought a new resets today and bypassed the factory ones and the motor came to life! Thanks guys for your help and suggestions!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon5799 View Post
    Finally got it working today, boat had two factory fuse breaker resets which was my problem. Not sure what was wrong with them because they're the same size as one I got today but they both wouldn't work correctly. I bought a new resets today and bypassed the factory ones and the motor came to life! Thanks guys for your help and suggestions!
    Glad you got it going.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    When you changed the circuit breakers you tightened the wiring to them. I would guess that one of them maybe both had a loose or corroded terminal. No matter, it works and you're a happy camper.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    When you changed the circuit breakers you tightened the wiring to them. I would guess that one of them maybe both had a loose or corroded terminal. No matter, it works and you're a happy camper.
    I agree. Probably a bad connection.