Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    It's still an Applebee's burger, it just doesn't have portabella mushrooms or bacon on it. I actually own the boat and have a good amount of time on the water in it. Don't knock it until you try it. We all know what a Mcdouble tastes like but you're judging this burger before taking a bite.

2. Member
    Looks like a great boat to me for something "cheap". Same deck layout as most of the bigger rangers,looks like same switches,same carpet as 518,same seats,battery cutoff switch,interior lighting option,fiberglass storage boxes and 2 coolers! Etc etc. Cant wait to see one in person.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    Just my personal observation. Saw a 185 at the Cup expo yesterday if you remove the badging and asked 100 people I don't think one of them would say it's a Ranger. The quality of material used look's subpar for a Ranger from the windshield to the trailer. I can't believe they put money into making new molds for this boat it must be a Stratos/Nitro mold modification. Then I was told it will sell for around $32,000 I don't know if this is true but if it is I would save up a little more for a bigger down payment or finance another $6000 and get a real Ranger (518) or move into the Ranger Tin line if money is tight.

btw: don't think I'll be getting a Christmas card from Flippin or Springfield this year.
    $40k for an 18 foot boat is ridiculous and Ranger just proved that they know that. But there's always some guys out there who want the overpriced Bling... Typically the guys with empty livewells at weigh-in.

Ricky Bobby

4. Member
    I have a prediction: The 185 will replace the 518. so rather than having three 18'8" choices, you will only have 2, a 185 and a 518C.

the 185 and the 518 are both 18'8" and both are rated for 150HP. And the 185 is a 2" wider.

I could be wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    Exactly If you go to Applebee's and they bring you out one of those flattened McDonalds cheeseburgers your going to probably complain. There is a certain expectation of the product you thought you were going to get by going to Applebee's. Ranger has been selling a high end product for 46 years and I thought was doing quite well except for a few lean years. If they need to branch off into that area of the market use a different strategy besides taking a flattened cheeseburger and putting Applebee's name on it.
    I miss your point with this analogy since either with the burger or the boat it is the buyers choice. We know you wouldn't buy it but there are people out there that would. Time will tell but I'm willing to think it will sell better than some people assume.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badMackrel View Post
    I have a prediction: The 185 will replace the 518. so rather than having three 18'8" choices, you will only have 2, a 185 and a 518C.

the 185 and the 518 are both 18'8" and both are rated for 150HP. And the 185 is a 2" wider.

I could be wrong....
    That is my thoughts as well.

I could be wrong....

These are very nice boats guys. Quality all the way around in a affordable package. Now, I do agree that the consoles on this model and the 522D are pretty bad

9. Member
    I think they are good boats for entry level. The thing I really don't like about them is the console/windshield I think it is hideous. I don't like the console on the 522D either but that is just me. I think they are giving options to guys that don't want to spend $60,000 on a Ranger. I would have gladly bought one back in the day when I first started off.

10. Member
    Pfft 60k? I seen a 520c go out the door for well over 70! That is some crazy money for a bass boat! Frankly I dont know,other than pros,who would want to spend that much on a bass boat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    I don't like anything about the 185. If I wanted a "cheap" boat, I'd get a Nitro, Stratos, Skeeter etc.
    I don't know where you priced a skeeter but the cheapest you can order is in the 40k range according to the local skeeter dealer. Looks like ranger is building a model that will bring in buyers like me who can't afford that 40-70 thousand dollar rig and will never spend that much on buying a boat. The majority of the population cant afford that and I'm sure they will keep the 518 and this model will replace the 118 just like the 175 replaced the 117.

12. Member
    Why would anyone eat at Applebees?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Conner_482 View Post
    Why would anyone eat at Applebees?
    she wants you to WANT to go to Applebees with her

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    I don't know where you priced a skeeter but the cheapest you can order is in the 40k range according to the local skeeter dealer. Looks like ranger is building a model that will bring in buyers like me who can't afford that 40-70 thousand dollar rig and will never spend that much on buying a boat. The majority of the population cant afford that and I'm sure they will keep the 518 and this model will replace the 118 just like the 175 replaced the 117.

The 518 is the 118(There is no longer a 118). They just changed the number. same exact boat, rating, motor etc. The 518C has the 200 hp and more accessories.

15. Member
    I have a 2014 118C. I watched several videos of this boat, the Z185, and it looks like a damn nice boat, however i agree, that i don't like the styling of the console, however i really like the layout, very similar to my 118C, but look like there is one additional storage bin where the step is. I wish this was available in 2014. because its the same size and same motor, and looks to be more storage and is about $8k - $10k less than what I paid.

16. Member
    This boat has caught my eye since it came out. On my income, I could never afford a top of the line Ranger and honestly not sure I would spend that kind of money even if my salary was doubled or tripled. 50-70 grand is a whole lot of money for a dang boat. To me, the z185 is a god send in which it is something I could possibly afford without sacrificing quality, space, storage, electronic options, etc. You can completely deck this boat out with power poles,12" graphs, 36v tm, just like you could a z520.

The only noticeable difference in my opinion is the plain Jane trailer, which is completely irrelvleant to me because it has no affect on how the boat fishes. Honestly I have no idea why the console look bothers anybody that much. The console is there to block the driver and passenger. I'm not going to look at a console and go, "Man, my day on the water would be a lot more enjoyable if that console looked different."

I just don't get some of you. Maybe I'm just jealous y'all can afford more lol

17. Member
    I have a 2014 118C. I watched several videos of this boat, the Z185, and it looks like a damn nice boat, however i agree, that i don't like the styling of the console, however i really like the layout, very similar to my 118C, but look like there is one additional storage bin where the step is. I wish this was available in 2014. because its the same size and same motor, and looks to be more storage and is about $8k - $10k less than what I paid.
    I don't think Ranger in two years came up with a way to save $8 to $10 K on the same boat. The Z185 Im sure is a fine boat but they had to change something in the the construction to cut the cost of the Z118 to that of the Z185. Dropping the fiberglass vendors on the trailer does not make up for that price difference. If they did not cut the quality of materials in the Z185 vs the Z118 then Ranger was ripping everybody off who bought the Z118.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I don't think Ranger in two years came up with a way to save $8 to $10 K on the same boat. The Z185 Im sure is a fine boat but they had to change something in the the construction to cut the cost of the Z118 to that of the Z185. Dropping the fiberglass vendors on the trailer does not make up for that price difference. If they did not cut the quality of materials in the Z185 vs the Z118 then Ranger was ripping everybody off who bought the Z118.
    (If they did not cut the quality of materials in the Z185 vs the Z118 then Ranger was ripping everybody off who bought the Z118.) DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerGW17 View Post
    (If they did not cut the quality of materials in the Z185 vs the Z118 then Ranger was ripping everybody off who bought the Z118.) DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
    Maybe I misspoke a little about the ripping people off. Looking at the spec sheet posted above and comparing it to my Z118 spec sheet , it looks like they have saved money by cutting out the fiberglass fenders, providing a two bank battery charger, providing a butt seat instead of another fold down, smaller trolling motor. Those items alone cut several thousand dollars right there off of the boat. The port rod locker on the Z118 can accommodate 8 ft rods where the 185 port says 7'6. I definitely like that. One thing they did add was the power shut off/jump switch.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Maybe I misspoke a little about the ripping people off. Looking at the spec sheet posted above and comparing it to my Z118 spec sheet , it looks like they have saved money by cutting out the fiberglass fenders, providing a two bank battery charger, providing a butt seat instead of another fold down, smaller trolling motor. Those items alone cut several thousand dollars right there off of the boat. The port rod locker on the Z118 can accommodate 8 ft rods where the 185 port says 7'6. I definitely like that. One thing they did add was the power shut off/jump switch.
    If you have 8 ft rods they will fit in the center box on the Z185, I don't have any of those so i just use port box.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast