Mercury 115 differences

Can someone break down in lay terms what the real difference between these are (115 ELPT and 115 ProXS)? I know command thrust (CT) is a different lower gearing but don't know if Pro XS is any benefit as they are all within $1-2k. Looking at them for a Lowe 180.

According to the charts the Pro XS has 300 more RPM and weight is negligible at only about 4 pounds for the CT. Mercury also says it is only 1 MPH faster than the ELPT.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by merc123; 08-06-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Allows better holeshot and programming allows better prop tuning
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

For a BASSBOAT application... the ProXS version would be best suited.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks. Looks like ProXS it is. In reading it looks like the CT provides no benefits on a 18' tin so I'll probably forego that.

5. Member
    I have a lowe stinger 195. I have the 115 hp CT motor. I'm having prop tuning issues. At half throttle you give it full throttle and it blows the pro out. Talked to mercery and lowe. No one can tell me where I need to be at on prop size. But the lift on bottom end is amazing. It goes straight to being on plane. The hole shot is amazing.

Run a trophy 23 pitch, play with PVS plugs.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

Different boat but hoping the info I gathered yesterday may help.
    2015 Nitro Z6 115 CT
    Motor is mounted all the way up.
    3/4 tank of gas, I think it is 22 gallon tank.
    2 guys me 230,buddy 170
    Light gear as I do not carry a ton of stuff
    90 degrees out water temp was 78
    25 pitch Fury with all PVS open
    53 mph
    RPMs 5970 no blow out.
    Last edited by johnsobo; 08-28-2016 at 08:28 AM.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tc_firefightrer311 View Post
    I have a lowe stinger 195. I have the 115 hp CT motor. I'm having prop tuning issues. At half throttle you give it full throttle and it blows the pro out. Talked to mercery and lowe. No one can tell me where I need to be at on prop size. But the lift on bottom end is amazing. It goes straight to being on plane. The hole shot is amazing.
    Good to share your experiences.

Getting into the "gray area" here, as we really should have only ONE engine per thread. If you want assistance with the problems you've noted, be sure to view the Forum Announcements (at the top of the forum) and open a separate thread for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

For a BASSBOAT application... the ProXS version would be best suited.
    with command thrust, or without? thanks

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would, in part, depend on the weight/hull of the boat in question.

The CT version would be of benefit in heavier applications, and may be easier to prop (wider array of suitable props available).