hit a bucket before playing?

I used to always hit a bucket before playing a round. This year the range is closed Thursday morning for maintenance so we just T off. I have kept track for the last 2 months and have shot 2-4 strokes better on the range closed days. I do still stretch and warm up but don't hit any golf balls. My hacking buddies say that I hit all my good shots that day on the range and save the bad ones for the course. By just playing I hit the good shots during the round and not waste them on the range. Is that true?

Because of back issues I have to warm up on the range before going to the first tee and swinging full. Im not working on my swing before hand just hitting nice easy wedges to get the bones all popped back into place and muscles stretched out

I always play worse if I hit balls before playing.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Ill hit a 10 or so balls to warm up and that's about it. I'll hit a bucket after a round though.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

5. Member
    I believe the problem with the range before the round is that most people just go out there and bang through 30 or so full swings in 15 minutes. They wear themselves out and they usually haven't aimed a single shot.

If I hit balls before a round (I don't usually - but I ALWAYS putt and chip) I do this routine -always picking out something specific to aim at. Four 50 yard pitches. Four full 9 irons. Four full 5 irons. Four drives. Four more 50 yard pitches. That's 12 full swings 20 shots total - works for me.

6. Member
    I like to hit a small bucket of balls prior to a round. I have a simple routine that I do. 7i, 9i, 5i, 3 wood then 56* for a few. I like routines.
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

7. Member
    I do hit a small bucket because I only play once a week or 2. I hit 70% wedge, then about 5 each of 9, 7, 5 and driver. Lastly I try to hit the shots that I plan on hitting on the 1st hole.

8. Member
    I like hitting a dozen or so on the short game range before a round. Rarely ever hit anything longer than a wedge.

My soon to be 49 year old body requires some warm up time. I stretch for 20 or so minutes then hit some balls, all with wedges. Nice easy swings just to loosen up. Then I will hit the practice green and roll putts for 10 or so minutes.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.