4 stroke performance

Just curious what some guys are getting performance wise out of their 150 four strokes if you have it on a bass boat. Would like to know what kind of setup your running. I boat length, brand, weight, what prop, speed, rpms. All the good stuff. Trying to do a comparison to see where my boat should be. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TTT... virtually every one I've dealt with here was within 1 MPH of the same boat rigged with a 150 ProXS (Optimax).

See your other thread.... trim sender or converter is likely a contributor to your problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I just got a 2016 merc 150 4 stroke (sn 2B363712) on a Phoenix 618 (18 1/2 ft, 1500 lbs). The dealer installed a 24 tempest plus. Holeshot was very sluggish, but after 2.4 hrs of break in time, I ran a short WOT run at 3 1/4 below the pad, 5500 rpm at 62 mph. I swapped the 24 for a 23. A short run produced 62.5 mph at 5800. Holeshot was still slow. I added some 2 degree wedges, and that helped the holeshot a lot. Speed was from GPS, and rpms from merc monitor. According to my measurements, the 150 4 stroke does not trim down to the same angle that the 2 stroke motors bottom out at. Thus the extra 2 degrees from the wedges helped.

4. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    If you run a 150 4stroke the make sure you run the right you. Torque IV. Not sure of part number

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    If you run a 150 4stroke the make sure you run the right you. Torque IV. Not sure of part number

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Don the right hub makes a big difference!!! My brother has the 150 4stroke and was getting a bounce/vibration between 3000 and 4000 rpms. He was running the Flo Torq II hub. The shop that he bought the motor from said it was a prop problem and had mercury rep come and look at his motor. He also said it was a prop problem.

It was a hub problem as when he changed to the Flo Torq IV the bounce/vibration went away.

I think I have the right name now! Hahahhhaahha

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Flo-Torq IV Hub kit would be an excellent choice. Info on hub kits is included in the FAQ section (at top of forum).