Thread: Old Hickory

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Member
    Good luck. If I find anything that works, I'll post here.

2. Member
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Fished a small tournament on the Hick today out of Avondale and man was there a debris field in the river along with heavy current and really stained water. We managed to get 5(culled twice and had a 3-4 more that measured but would not cull anything) on jigs in pockets that cleared up about half way in them in the mid lake area. 14.26 lbs with a 4.95 big fish for a nice payday. If you venture out there be sure to watch for the logs and trash floating in the channel. Water temp was 54-58 when we started and the warmest we found this afternoon was 63. 1/2oz SK football head Bama Craw with a Rage Craw Green Pumpkin with chartreuse pinchers.

4. Member
    Thanks. I fished Kentucky today and didn't fare too well. Old Hickory is up just a bit and they have been moving some water through there. Lots of debris for sure.
    GETFISHED !!!

Fished club tx saturday/ Bite was tough I only had 3 all reaction bites. winner had 12 pounds.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

6. Member
    Been hooking some giants on crankbaits the last few days. Only problem is, they're giant Drum!!

7. Banned
    No fish being caught in deep weed beds down lake , rip rap at dam , wood in pockets off river or shallow humps close to the bank , rock castle , marinas , Blue Grass cove , out in front of Saunders Ferry ramp ?

8. Member
    Wow... never thought I would have started a 7 page thread! Lots of good info in here. Headed there tomorrow afternoon.

9. Member
    Guys. Please be careful out there. They are still pulling the bottom out of lake and when we crossed channel at station camp and spencer this morning river was really bad.
    My son and I are struggling bad this year on old stickery. That's for all info you guys are posting.
    Kevin

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherdad View Post
    Guys. Please be careful out there. They are still pulling the bottom out of lake and when we crossed channel at station camp and spencer this morning river was really bad.
    My son and I are struggling bad this year on old stickery. That's for all info you guys are posting.
    Kevin
    We hit a log/tree Sunday morning and thankfully we were just barely on pad and not running all out. Which we never got over 35-40 mph all day just because there was trash floating and bobbing everywhere. The secondary channel looked a lot better than the main river channel especially at the bends of the river. We did leave 45 minutes early to get to weigh in just to make sure we had a cushion to get in with.

11. Member
    We were out Monday afternoon/evening and there was floating wood from Shutes Branch all the way up to the dam. We planned to come back before dark after we saw the debris but stopped in Drakes on the way back. It made for slow going after dark. Water temp was in the low 60s.

12. Member
    I fished Wednesday most of the day and a 3 hr derby in the evening out of Bledsoe. It was a tough day for me. Current was pulling pretty much all day. Between Bledsoe and Flippers there was a lot of floating debris, enough to make you nervous. Between Bledsoe and Barton there was very little debris on top. That helped me decide which way I was going to go during the evening. Since I would be returning to Bledsoe in very low light or dark I decided to go upstream to have a little safer running on the return.

During the day I fished I fished pockets and some creeks. Lot of current in the river. Water color was pretty much normal for Old Hickory. Depending on where you were between Bledsoe and Flippers some had a normal stain , some of the pockets were kinda muddy and water color in Barton's looked about normal. I fished a 6" black blue gator tail worm, a T-rigged green pumpkin Paca Chunk trailer, a 4" green pumpkin Tightlines UV beaver, a 1.5 Luck E Strike R C in splatterback, I threw a frog a small bit in some grass, and a yellow magic popper. I only boated 3 fish during the day of which only one was just barely a keeper. Tough day.

During the evening event I wasn't very optimistic as I had pretty much no results from flipping/pitching wood, grass and cranking some rocky shorelines. We fished from 5:30 to 8:30. By 7:30 I had 0 bites and sorta gave up and became disenchanted. It wasn't the 2hours that I had been fishing in the event that got me but the fact that I had been out there pretty much all day and still hadn't figure much out. I tucked my tail between my legs , stored all my gear and headed back to the ramp a little early while the light was still decent enough to see well. I loaded the boat and helped another contender who was having a little difficulty. As the other anglers came it wasn't looking too good. I was kinda down feeling but that began to change when I realized the fishing wasn't too productive for most of the guys.

We had about 10 or 12 boats which amounted to 24 fishermen. First place was one fish at a little over 5 lbs. Second place was one fish just under 5 lbs. Next was a team with 2 barely keepers and to round it out finally there was two boats with one barely keeper 14" each. That's it. 6 fish total for 24 anglers fishing 3 hours. I don't know what the explanation was but one of the guys said he thought the fish were looking up , suspended and were not on the bottom. Something was out of whack for sure. I think it may have had something to do with water fluctuations up and down over the last couple weeks. I think it makes fishing challenging when the water is up for a couple days , then back down for a couple days, then back up again. That is what has been going on over there lately.

I think fishing mid lake or down lake may be better and more stabilized but don't know as I haven't been there lately. I know one thing. I'm gonna fish Saturday and I'll be fishing down lake all day hunting for new water.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    Getfished. That's what I have been finding last 2 weeks. I have never just wore them out on hickory but dang I usually catch a few keepers just to keep me coming back. Lol. IF I go this weekend I will see you at the concrete. Have been fishing all plastic lately due to fishing gambler tournment.(zeroed) Ready for some top water.

14. Member
    Two Rivers had a tourney at Flippers today 5/13. Looks like some of those guys figured em out. I think it took 13 to get in the top ten. I think 17 and change won it. That may not be 100% accurate but it's close. Today I was the statue.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Banned
    ^^^^20lbs plus will win the next one and will be won from Bluegrass to the dam

Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    ^^^^20lbs plus will win the next one and will be won from Bluegrass to the dam
    Or from Spence creek to blue grass. Just saying

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567