Thread: Running Wires

Running Wires

Does Bass Cat leave string or rope in the wire tubes to aid in running transducer cables/wires? Will be getting my Caracal next month and was curious.

2. Member
    Not that I know of, would be a nice feature for sure. If you're having a boat made, maybe this is something you could ask them to do.

3. Member
    I've ran lots of wires in Basscats and, so far, have not found a pull rope. Havn't done it on the new Caracal, but on the others a good fishtape (Harbor Freight has inexpensive 3' rods that screw together) and going in through the starboard vent makes it easier.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    I didn't figure that there were any in there. I don't understand why they don't put them in there. Very inexpensive way to help owners out.

Castforcash the the boat is already built or I would ask for sure.

5. Member
    Fish tape is a must. I ran some wires to the bow, and that was very easy, thanks to the sections of PVC pipe that BCB set in the fiberglass. Running a wire from the console to the stern is a different story. I don't know how different the Eyra is from the other models, but all of my struggles come from trying to keep the fish tape up out of some sort of slot that was about 2/3 of the way back, and then making a hard 90 degree turn around the square block of floatation (I'm assuming).
    2015 Phoenix 819

6. Member
    Looking at things I did notice that hard 90 as well. Not looking forward to trying to get the transducer around that bend.

7. Member
    is your boat coming with transducers installed already?

I had transducers on my Eyra, even though I was replacing the graphs with something different than stock (dealer boat). It wasn't hard to do at all, just tied all string to the transducer I was pulling off. Came around that 90 bend with ease too.

8. Member
    They put the 2d thru hull but I'm going to mount the SI ducer to the jackplate. I've done wiring before and it isn't bad. Was just curious if they had rope/string in there to make it easier for us. They are 60k plus boats you know. That 90 does concern me only because I had the same transducer hang up in my current boat at a 90. I will know in about a month.

On my PII, I found it much easier to run transducer cables by doing it in several steps. Run a fish tape with a string (or 2 or 3) attached to it from the rear vent to the front. Untie string(s) and pull the fish tape back through. Attach string to transducer cable and pull it forward. Repeat as necessary. I also remove the throttle panel to help pull things through. If I am REALLY stuck, I can remove the seats and the fiberglass bench underneath the seats. It gives me free access to the fuel tank and can EASILY run wires to the back. I am not sure if this applies other BCB models.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    Fish tape is a must. I ran some wires to the bow, and that was very easy, thanks to the sections of PVC pipe that BCB set in the fiberglass. Running a wire from the console to the stern is a different story. I don't know how different the Eyra is from the other models, but all of my struggles come from trying to keep the fish tape up out of some sort of slot that was about 2/3 of the way back, and then making a hard 90 degree turn around the square block of floatation (I'm assuming).
    This is where the straight rods John mentioned probably work better. They're about the size of an arrow, maybe shorter, and they screw together. The fish tape can be a pain cuzz it's tough to keep straight. The big box stores sell the rods, or I think they call them stix and they glow in the dark.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    I have the rods at home already. They do make running wires easier but they don't do a 90.

12. Member
    If you go in through the vent, you don't have to do a 90
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    I couldn't use the vent because the Eyra has the hood scoops on the sides of the top cap that are epoxied on. I agree with the idea of the rods instead of the fish tape. It would've saved me some sweat and cussing!
    2015 Phoenix 819

I’m in the process of preparing to do this now. Bought the enhanced power wiring loom run from BassCat for the bow graph. Little to no access in the bow for grabbing the existing graph power wires. I have some metal fish tape rolls, but it was too flexible (and curved) during the first attempt. About to order the Klein tools fiberglass glow sticks with medium flex from Amazon. I may even order some fishing cable to make any additional pulls easier.

I’m a bit apprehensive about the next attempt, but I’m sure I’ll get it right after a few hours of ‘fishing’ and cursing.
    Sincerely,

Shawn Cartwright
    AKA "rabidsquirrel"

Check out my Bass Fishing Team's blog: http://cartwrightrealtyfishingteam.wordpress.com/

15. Member
    Several things. First, you can access a lot of the "middle" using the starboard rod box. You can lean over in there with a flash light and see how the wires route. Last time I worked on my classic replacing sonar units, I did it from the middle. Nice thing about the harbor freight rods is that they are maybe 1' long. You can push the rod to the front or back, and keep adding pieces as needed. One help is to hold the rods up against the top cap when going between center and rear. The throttle/cables/hydraulic tubing, dozens of wires all offer "traps" to keep the big end of the transducer cable from making it. I've found that once you get the rod to the rear, how ever you do it, connect the rod to the cable and use a piece of a plastic bag wrapped around the connector. A little more slippery and it will cover the rough edges / corners on the connector that like to get trapped. I found it a little hard to try to run the rod from the starboard rear vent up to the console. Hard to find it. If you start just in front of the console in the rod box, it is pretty easy to (a) run it all the way to the back where you can attach the cable to it, and you can also find it through that oval hole under the dash that everything goes through...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    This is where the straight rods John mentioned probably work better. They're about the size of an arrow, maybe shorter, and they screw together. The fish tape can be a pain cuzz it's tough to keep straight. The big box stores sell the rods, or I think they call them stix and they glow in the dark.
    Man, I just ran some 4 guage wiring in my Puma (for an Amplifier)....and finally used these fiberglass, screw together rods. mentioned by John and Krindgen...they are fantastic, and I much prefer them to the fish tape I used for years.....

17. Member
    I have some .042 stainless steel tie wire. I doubled it than spun it tight with a cordless drill (Make sure its long enough). This will leave a small loop at the end. (The section in the drill.)
    I hook this to the transducer wire I am pulling out. I take a short piece of the wire and cut it. Wrap it tight around the transducer wire and connect it to the loop. Wrap this tightly with electrical tape and join the two with the tape.
    I take a small amount of Dawn dish soap and rub in on the tape area. Pull the Transducer wire completely out to the transom area. Hook the new wire to the loop, same as before with electrical tape. Add the Dawn soap. Its slides back thru very easily.

If needed, you can remove the engine shift lever assy. and get closer access to the PVC tube.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Member
    I've ran a lot of wiring in my Basscat without much problem, however looking at the end of the 3D transducer I've got, has me a little worried.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I've ran lots of wires in Basscats and, so far, have not found a pull rope. Havn't done it on the new Caracal, but on the others a good fishtape (Harbor Freight has inexpensive 3' rods that screw together) and going in through the starboard vent makes it easier.
    John
    What John said. 8$ at Harbor Freight. I have tried everything and the screw together is best by far.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    John
    John's recommendation on the Harbor Freight rods is good. However, if you do end up using these HF rods I would recommend wearing gloves while using them because they are prone to give you slivers (ones that you can't see)