Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

250HP Proxs Oil Pump Disassembled

This is an oil pump from a 250HP ProXs that was leaking. Some folks including "Ranger RT" are curious about what's inside.
    Here's some pictures of it disassembled. There is an O-Ring that looks like the only thing that would allow it to leak.
    Hopefully the pictures are clear enough. It actually wasn't difficult to take apart or put back together.

Attached Images Attached Images

good write up dude....ill replace that o ring in mine and see what happens
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

3. Member
    Please keep us in the loop on this. Hard to believe these aren't serviceable, and they're not cheap...

Just from looking at the pics I wonder how it pumps oil... I figured there would be gears in it like a automotive oil pump.
    115 PRO XS

5. Member
    Remember. No matter if you replace the oil pump or repair it , you HAVE to have the "oil pump prime sequence" done BEFORE
    starting your engine. You'll have to have a dealer do this. I wasn't able to find the software to do it myself.
    My dealer charged $35 and it took about 15 minutes.

I think the red wire is positive and the green or blue wire is negative... I wonder if this pump runs on constant 12v or does the pcm pulse the oil pump?.. The electrical part of it looks like an electromagnetic coil... Kinda like an AC compressor coil
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 08-01-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    115 PRO XS

7. Member
    For $550 i dont think id experiment with replacing a 35 cent oring. Though i wouldnt doubt that there is an aftermarket resale market on these pumps. That Oring makes perfect sense to be the culprit of leaks. Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Very unique how the delivery of oil is happening inside that pump. I would make sure to replace the diaphragm on the other side as well.

8. Member
    Pulse signal. Not constant voltage.

9. Member
    So, you replaced the o-ring? Does it work? Ok, read the other post.
    Last edited by jrspop; 08-01-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffytilly View Post
    Remember. No matter if you replace the oil pump or repair it , you HAVE to have the "oil pump prime sequence" done BEFORE
    starting your engine. You'll have to have a dealer do this. I wasn't able to find the software to do it myself.
    My dealer charged $35 and it took about 15 minutes.
    You do not have to take it to a dealer. You can do the oil pump prime yourself. With key on put in out of gear 3 times prime will start I would do it at least 2 times.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    You do not have to take it to a dealer. You can do the oil pump prime yourself. With key on put in out of gear 3 times prime will start I would do it at least 2 times.
    You don't want to do this, it will put your motor in break in mode.....also doing this may cause damage to your gears.

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Youll spend way more in gas and oil than itll cost to prime having to go thru a full break in again. Some motors may take 80hrs to get fully broken in so doing this procedure may ruin 5+ summers for those who may try it. Once you put it in break in you cant just reverse that it has to go thru it. If your dealer charged $200 it would still be a bargain. If youre already a customer i doubt theyd even charge you

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Avoid the "jockey-the-shifter" break-in reset at ALL costs. It does you no favors- clears histories that may be needed in the future, results in double oil consumption, and quite likely fouling of a set of spark plugs.

I'm sure the o-ring "could" be replaced. I've had 5-6 of these apart myself, enough to make the decision that it wasn't worth the risk (for me, or my customers) to attempt "resealing" one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

got a bag of assorted o rings...sizes and thickness's.done figured out the pulse rate of the pump so I can prime it with a momentary switch..
    gonna try to do it this weekend....ill prime it and let yall know
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 08-03-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    115 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    got a bag of assorted o rings...sizes and thickness's.
    gonna try to do it this weekend..done figured out the pulse rate of the pump so I can prime it with a momentary switch..

I was waiting on someone to do this. I had to do the jockey method one time when I owned a Pro XS and it cost me a set of spark plugs. I was going to figure out how to tap into the pump wiring so that I could do my own prime but then I sold that rig. Very annoying that the only way to do a proper prime is thru Diag software.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I was waiting on someone to do this. I had to do the jockey method one time when I owned a Pro XS and it cost me a set of spark plugs. I was going to figure out how to tap into the pump wiring so that I could do my own prime but then I sold that rig. Very annoying that the only way to do a proper prime is thru Diag software.
    yeah...ill just disconnect the oil pump wiring from the motor,and use a harness with a separate battery and switch
    115 PRO XS

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You say you "figured out the pulse rate"... since the oil pump is PCM controlled and operates on a set of variables during running operation (and on a COUNT basis during oil pump prime), I'm curious as to what you found there....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    You know the next question that's coming.........."Well what's the COUNT"?........"I can just COUNT then".......

Let us know what you figure out

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Took the pump loose and stood the pump up.. (The electrical part up)..and didn't disconnect any of the hoses.clamped the feed hose in the center,and took the 3 Allen head bolts out and removed the electrical part and the plate.replaced the o ring and reassembled.. That's far as I got tonight..
    115 PRO XS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast