Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DelcoSol View Post
    This is interesting. Me and a buddy of mine both need pumps but they're backordered from Mercury. I have been waiting over a month. What did you end up doing to prime the pump?
    Backordered? Don't think so....

How many you want?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Backordered? Don't think so....

How many you want?
    Mine is under warranty. How could my mechanic get a part from you? Wouldn't he have to order directly from Mercury? I'm panicking because my warranty is up in September. The claim was filed at the end of July but we're waiting on parts.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have an Optimax engine model- there are plenty of them in stock in various warehouses.

It's possible he ordered the older part number... perhaps, rather than the latest number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Don't know exactly what kind.... But they are designed for use in Honda Engines... I feel like I shouldn't have told anybody what I done to fix it,cause I'm afraid somebody might damage there motor.. I am a Honda certified master technician for the last 31 years.im no 2 stroke expert by any means.. But understand how this pump works and how to bleed it.. If you attempt to do this repair do it at your own risk... Don't want anybody damaging there motor.
    So, have you had a chance to run your motor since you performed this repair? Running OK, any alarms? Hope it worked.

5. Member
    Just saw this post. Took my boat to the shop first of week and had a leaking oil pump. They changed the o ring because mercury wouldn't warranty the pump cause it wasn't bad. Called mercury myself because they wouldn't warranty o ring change after a few minutes they decided to cover it. Anyway took boat out to run it and it was smoking like a train on take off. Let it ideal for a minute then get on plan and there would be an smoke cloud where I took off at. Put back on trailer and noticed over a gallon of oil gone in about an hour and a half of fishing. Now mercury says change the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    So, have you had a chance to run your motor since you performed this repair? Running OK, any alarms? Hope it worked.
    Oh yeah... Works like a champ
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

7. Member
    Good deal, thanks.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlegged Minion View Post
    Just saw this post. Took my boat to the shop first of week and had a leaking oil pump. They changed the o ring because mercury wouldn't warranty the pump cause it wasn't bad. Called mercury myself because they wouldn't warranty o ring change after a few minutes they decided to cover it. Anyway took boat out to run it and it was smoking like a train on take off. Let it ideal for a minute then get on plan and there would be an smoke cloud where I took off at. Put back on trailer and noticed over a gallon of oil gone in about an hour and a half of fishing. Now mercury says change the pump.
    Replacement of the pump is the correct (factory approved) repair method. O-ring is not available through Mercury as a "replacement component".

Bout 10 hrs now... Still dry
    115 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlegged Minion View Post
    You need to find a new shop. As Don wrote, there is no "O ring" replacement part from Mercury. This thread is about folks who are trying to find a suitable replacement OUTSIDE of Mercury Marine. Also, I'd bet that instead of doing a proper oil-prime sequence with a computer, he used the "throttle jockey" method that puts the motor into break in mode. Due to this, it it double oiling. You probably ought to change out slark plugs once the break in is done.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

got a bag of assorted o rings...sizes and thickness's.done figured out the pulse rate of the pump so I can prime it with a momentary switch..
    gonna try to do it this weekend....ill prime it and let yall know
    How in the heck did you figure out pulse rate on a variable rate pulse pump.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    You could find the answer with a DVOM connected to the pump, while a True oil pump prime sequence was being performed......or you could guess that it's a 10 count.

Well... What I meant to say is a rate that will bleed the system of air
    115 PRO XS

14. Member
    Took mine apart today,10-22-16, brass sleeve that goes in electrical part has very small crack that oil is leaking out. Anyone have an old pump I could buy to try and replace that part?

Quote Originally Posted by Vacatman View Post
    Took mine apart today,10-22-16, brass sleeve that goes in electrical part has very small crack that oil is leaking out. Anyone have an old pump I could buy to try and replace that part?
    Sounds like a new issue....Got a pic of that
    115 PRO XS

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacatman View Post
    Not to sound like a broken record... but it would probably be a very good idea to replace that pump ASSEMBLY.

IMHO... there is just too much inherent risk with trying to "repair" oil pumps, given their critical role of delivering lubrication required to make the engine live.

I've never met a person with a failed powerhead that wouldn't have been very happy to pay for an oil pump, in hindsight (if it would have prevented the failure).

run wires from your pump to a LED light on the dash... Pretty interesting when you see how it pumps
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 11-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    115 PRO XS

18. Member
    run 2 wires from your pump to a LED light on the dash... Pretty interesting when you see how it pumps
    That still won't tell you what the Pulse Rate is for a "Oil Pump Prime Sequence". You would have to do the light test during an ACTUAL "Oil Pump Prime Sequence", to determine the count.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    That still won't tell you what the Pulse Rate is for a "Oil Pump Prime Sequence". You would have to do the light test during an ACTUAL "Oil Pump Prime Sequence", to determine the count.
    Yeah..... It buzz's it pretty fast during the oil prime
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 11-05-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    115 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    You do not have to take it to a dealer. You can do the oil pump prime yourself. With key on put in out of gear 3 times prime will start I would do it at least 2 times.
    If I’m not mistaken doesn’t that put it back in break in mode. Oil
    prime is done with the scanner while engine is not running
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast