Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    In pic 3 if you pull the round silver piece with the gold circles out then it would reveal the 7 plungers. All the oil pump is is an expensive plunger that pushes with a pulse of electricity to keep a constant flow of oil in the lines. Easily serviceable but like usual, Merc wants you to purchase the entire pump instead of replace a $0.10 o-ring

So did you get to test this fix? What size is the o-ring?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    So did you get to test this fix? What size is the o-ring?
    don't really know what size ...I got an assorted set and put one in there that was a little "fatter" but same diameter...works like a champ for me(no leaks)
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

And the pulsing- did you unhook a feed line and pulse it til oil ran clear?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully that was an FKM O-ring....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Hopefully that was an FKM O-ring....
    Don't know exactly what kind.... But they are designed for use in Honda Engines... I feel like I shouldn't have told anybody what I done to fix it,cause I'm afraid somebody might damage there motor.. I am a Honda certified master technician for the last 31 years.im no 2 stroke expert by any means.. But understand how this pump works and how to bleed it.. If you attempt to do this repair do it at your own risk... Don't want anybody damaging there motor.
    115 PRO XS

7. Member
    Hey Don, Is FKM the brand of o-ring that your referring to, or does that stand for something else?

8. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Essentially, a Nitrile O-ring (with enhanced chemical and heat resistance tendencies).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Overkill for the application, however that is what I would use if it were mine.

11. Member
    So where do we get this o-ring? LOL I'm about to spend $360 on an oil pump......so a $15 o-ring sounds much better!

Take your old one to fastenal store is your easiest bet

13. Member
    McMaster Carr is one of the sources that I use for Viton and Buna N O-rings.

Word of caution.....You always need to determine the correct durometer for the specific application when choosing O-rings. Oil pump cover damage can occur by guessing at the incorrect durometer O-ring.
    Last edited by Savage; 08-13-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Why cant mercury sell the correct o ring?

15. Member
    Since you put an O ring in that was a "little fatter" the pressures should change and the delievery rates too so it will be interesting to see what happens after a few hours of running your motor. Mercury probably says it not serviceable so they don't have to eat the cost of replacing a motor every time the fix fails.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Since you put an O ring in that was a "little fatter" the pressures should change and the delievery rates too so it will be interesting to see what happens after a few hours of running your motor. Mercury probably says it not serviceable so they don't have to eat the cost of replacing a motor every time the fix fails.
    Well the plate that press's against the o ring is fully seated... Another thing I noticed about mine and others have said ,that the Allen heads where loose... You may can snug it up and it may quit.. These pumps don't make a lot of pressure
    115 PRO XS

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Why cant mercury sell the correct o ring?
    Primarily due to the critical nature of the oil pump, and the projected outcome of a botched "repair attempt".

18. Member
    This is interesting. Me and a buddy of mine both need pumps but they're backordered from Mercury. I have been waiting over a month. What did you end up doing to prime the pump?

19. Member
    Tighten the screws.......

To prime the pump go to your dealer and let them prime it correctly or youll be asking for trouble. They probably wont even charge you but if so itll be a minimum charge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast