Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aluminum boats with no wood?

I am considering upgrading my 1990 Lowe 150 to something slightly newer and slightly larger. The one thing I really liked about the Lowe 150 is that it has no wood, especially in the transom. What other similar boats are there with no wood?

TerryMSU

2. Member
    I do not know of any that still have a wood transom. Tracker uses it on the decks most other manufacturers are wood free these days.

Depends on years and models. Xpress boats are wood free to at least the 2000 era. My 2002 Lowe 180w I use to have was wood free. The Triton magnums , 176, 186, and 197 were wood free back in early 2000s. Not sure what other models but as far as used boats go.

4. Member
    No wood in the new Rangers and Tritons
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

5. Banned
    my 2003 Xpress H51 has no wood anywhere. 100% aluminum floors, decks, lids, and a fiberglass console.
    When drilling holes through transom to mount another outboard, It has a double plated aluminum transom, with no sign of wood in between the aluminum plates.

***THAT'S RIGHT! Look at that HUGE outboard on her!!!
    25hp mercury 2 stroke, with 20hp stickers!

[IMG][/IMG]

what she looked like last year, before I completely revamped her! Notice ALL aluminum!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 08-02-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMSU View Post
    I am considering upgrading my 1990 Lowe 150 to something slightly newer and slightly larger. The one thing I really liked about the Lowe 150 is that it has no wood, especially in the transom. What other similar boats are there with no wood?st

TerryMSU
    I Would not buy a boat with wood in it either. What gamble?

Most all of the modern quality boat manufacturers have gone to all aluminum construction probably because of weight and chance of wood rot. I "Think" you could look at older and newer Tritons, the new Ranger RTs, Alumacraft, Crestliner, War Eagle, Excel, And Xpress just to name a couple off the top of my head. I don't think there are many manufacturers left anymore that still use wood in the boats....maybe one or two.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I Would not buy a boat with wood in it either. What gamble?

Most all of the modern quality boat manufacturers have gone to all aluminum construction probably because of weight and chance of wood rot. I "Think" you could look at older and newer Tritons, the new Ranger RTs, Alumacraft, Crestliner, War Eagle, Excel, And Xpress just to name a couple off the top of my head. I don't think there are many manufacturers left anymore that still use wood in the boats....maybe one or two.
    Sea Ark

8. Banned
    i have a question for you guys. is the wood in a aluminum boats transom as likely to rot as it is in a glass boat. it seems like more glass boat have flex than the aluminum boats ive looked at.

9. Member
    The rot comes from water seeping in where the wood is penetrated. If it flexes less maybe it would be more resistant to issues. Most transom rot is due to improperly sealed transom penetrations.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    The rot comes from water seeping in where the wood is penetrated. If it flexes less maybe it would be more resistant to issues. Most transom rot is due to improperly sealed transom penetrations.
    ive also heard fiberglass can trap moisture in the wood. i dont know how true that is so ill let you take it for what its worth.

Now that we are almost 2020, I thought this thread should resurface.
    When I had to replace my boat, that was the most important part of the equation one what boats to look at. Some of the Tins (Bass boat style) that I really liked still had wood on the flooring.
    Also, due to Salt Water use, I did not what carpeting.
    So I found the Ranger RT, G3, and Xpress did not have any wood.

All Bass boat designs:
    Xpress was too tight behind the console for a guy my size.
    G3 was very nice, but the Salesman did not return my call. We did talk to him in person, then I requested more information on trailer tire size, no return call. Damn trailer was less the 100 feet from his office. (Marshall's Marine)
    Ranger RT 198 P is what I purchased. Best all around fit to my needs. But this salesman was still poor, rest of the staff was great, but not the salesman.

Side Note: March 2019, I had an insurance check in hand for my other boat being totaled. All the salesman knew this and I was a buyer, not a tire kicker. I never seen such a more lazy group of salesmen in my life!

12. Banned
    Unless you suck as bait builder and are the cheapest of cheap, you do not have any wood in your boat in 2019. WOW!! Still use wood as a boat builder?!?! That’s pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Unless you suck as bait builder and are the cheapest of cheap, you do not have any wood in your boat in 2019. WOW!! Still use wood as a boat builder?!?! That’s pathetic.
    Gonna go ahead and quote this for no editing. You think you are really clever dont you.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Oy Vey....

2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    my 2003 Xpress H51 has no wood anywhere. 100% aluminum floors, decks, lids, and a fiberglass console.
    When drilling holes through transom to mount another outboard, It has a double plated aluminum transom, with no sign of wood in between the aluminum plates.

***THAT'S RIGHT! Look at that HUGE outboard on her!!!
    25hp mercury 2 stroke, with 20hp stickers!

[IMG][/IMG]

what she looked like last year, before I completely revamped her! Notice ALL aluminum!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    LOL I bet that thing will scream with that motor.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Gonna go ahead and quote this for no editing. You think you are really clever dont you.
    Now what did I do?

Now what did I do?

Nothing not a damn thing go ahead and be the class clown im done cant wait to get the hell out of here.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Huh?? There are still boat builders out there who are chopping down trees for their boats? Hmmm. who would have thunk. Pretty archaic design for 2019 with the caliber of boats hitting the market. Thought wood went out with the mullet!! Obviously being eco friendly is not a part of their core values. However, there are plenty, the vast majority of boats out there to choose from that don't have any wood.
    Last edited by tghtlines; 08-20-2019 at 02:49 PM.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Nothing not a damn thing go ahead and be the class clown im done cant wait to get the hell out of here.
    Can I take your spot?

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tghtlines View Post
    Huh?? There are still boat builders out there who are chopping down trees for their boats? Hmmm. who would have thunk. Pretty archaic design for 2019 with the caliber of boats hitting the market. Thought wood went out with the mullet!! Obviously being eco friendly is not a part of their core values. However, there are plenty, the vast majority of boats out there to choose from that don't have any wood.
    I had a termite magnet Tracker for 10 years and it was a great boat!
    As good and solid as day 1 when I traded her, and never leaked a drop...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast