BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Casting reel size for pier and inlet fishing?

Round or low profile? Any special features?

For the pier I have to have a spinning reel. To much wind blowing straight in for me. Penn fierce is a great pier reel (spning) that will do what ever it is you need. They are very affordable and we'll built. If I'm throwing a gotcha or pompano jig I can get by with a 6500 Garcia. The bait is heavy enough that it will cut thru the wind. For the pier I look for something that will hold about 270 yards of 20 lb. I throw a live alewife or a cigar minnow with no weight. The 6500 will hold enough line for the targeted species.

3. Member
    I also think a spinning reel is to be preferred on a crowded pier. You have more casting options. Now if you are dropping straight down or free lining a balloon rig or similar a casting reel would work out great

4. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Thanks guys, since making this post, considering the type of fishing I am aiming to do, I've also decided that a spinning reel is the way to go- plus I'm concerned with the lack of ability to hide the casting reel off without needing to take it apart and clean it.

Don't know much about pier fishing but I agree with the others on spinning reels vs. casting. The Penn Battle II combos are hard to beat and a 5000-6000 series should handle anything you would catch in the inlets or piers.

This is a tackle shop near me and they have free shipping and spool it with braid at no charge. I buy a lot of my saltwater stuff there.
    https://www.neusesportshop.com/prodd...BTLII6000701MH
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

6. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    havent used the penn battleII, but im a big fan of the penn fierce spinning reels. inexpensive, smooth, tough reels.

7. Member
    I use the Abu Garcia c4 in 6600 on a Abu Garcia 7 ft 6 medium heavy for bubble rigs and yoziries for Spanish and Kings and even amber jacks . Also have a 6600 on a 7ft 9 inch Abu Garcia rod that handles baits from 1 to 4oz , use this for live bait kings. The first rod and reel I mentioned, I can throw it farther than people throwing spinning reels can with the same baits and 6500 holds a lot of 20 lbs line. And I can throw them considerably farther than other people using spin gear, just my preference
    10 lbs plus !

8. Banned
    pier fishing i would go with star rod combined with a penn battle 7000 with 65lb brain and top shot of 85lb mono. keep the price point in mind for pier fishing because gear can get beat up pier fishing. That set up will have you catching anything.

I am using a new Penn Battle II size 6000 and Penn Battalion 10' MH Fast rod this year and have been VERY impressed with it so far. Less than $200 for the complete setup.

For inshore I still use a older Abu Royal Express that has been upgraded with power handle and carbon matrix drag. And have this year put it on a St Croix Wild River 9' H Fast salmon rod. I like the feel of it better for me than rods advertised for inshore that I have used.