Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor batteries

My boat has been in storage for a few years and I'm getting it ready to go out again. I just bought two new trolling motor batteries and I've got nothing. I ran the positive cable to the positive post on one battery, and the negative cable to the other battery and jumped the negative on one battery to the positive on the other. Neither breaker is tripped, and with my multi meter, I can't get a 24v reading on the posts that the main wires are connected to. The trolling motor doesn't turn, but the arrow on the head does light up. I have a Minn Kota maximum 74lb. I did test the continuity on the jumper wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Banned
    Batteries charged?
    You said you didn't get 24v, but did you get anything? If the batteries are charged, and you don't have any voltage, then you don't have continuity through the jumper, or it's on the wrong post.
    Check each battery individually for voltage.

3. Member
    You only need one breaker on the one positive cable,remove the other. Remove batteries from breaker and check continuity on the breaker. Check both and use the good one as you likely have a bad breaker.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    You only need one breaker on the one positive cable,remove the other. Remove batteries from breaker and check continuity on the breaker. Check both and use the good one as you likely have a bad breaker.
    He's not getting a voltage reading at the battery terminals.

5. Member
    It's wired the same as it always has been. And if the breakers were bad, there would be no power to the arrow on top of the trolling motor. I get 12.7 at each battery individually. I even tried using jumper cables to jump the two, instead of the jumper wire.

6. Banned
    If you can't get 24+v at the pos and neg terminals that are attached to the leads going to the TM, it's not hooked up right.

7. Member
    What could be hooked up wrong? The wires are hooked up as they should be. Trolling motor positive to positive of one battery, negative hooked to the other battery, and a jumper going positive to negative on both batteries.

8. Banned
    It would have to show 24v, there's no chance of any other outcome.
    Is the meter working properly?

9. Banned
    Does it still show zero if you unhook one of the leads to the TM?

10. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    And if the breakers were bad, there would be no power to the arrow on top of the trolling motor.
    Not necessarily...A faulty breaker especially one setting up for years, could behave as if it were a poor connection not allowing high current draws yet pass enough current to illuminate a circuit board' directional light.

I get 12.7 at each battery individually
    I can't get a 24v reading on the posts that the main wires are connected to
    Is the 12.7 V at each battery at the correct polarity.......batteries can be charged incorrectly and become reversed.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-26-2016 at 08:18 PM.

11. Member
    Yes, it's the same if the trolling motor is disconnected. I kinda figure if the meter is bad, the trolling motor would work. It actually shows 19.7 volts, then goes to 1 volt.

12. Member
    Temporarily move the batteries to the front deck, and connect the + to the - with your short cable. Then hook the troller directly to the battery set. If it works, then you have a connection issue somewhere. It coule be anywhere from the batteries to the connector at the front.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Is the 12.7 V at each battery at the correct polarity.......batteries can be charged incorrectly and become reversed.
    This is a possibility.
    Just to be clear to others: the OP posted that he was showing no voltage right at the batteries (this eliminates cables to the TM, breakers, and the TM), when checking for 24v. He does get 12.7v when he checks the individual batteries. Unless he's mistaken in what he posted.

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I can't get a 24v reading on the posts that the main wires are connected to. The trolling motor doesn't turn, but the arrow on the head does light up. I have a Minn Kota maximum 74lb. I did test the continuity on the jumper wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If you are getting power to the TM to light the arrow, there has to be voltage between the battery posts. Make sure your meter is set for the 200V range.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If you are getting power to the TM to light the arrow, there has to be voltage between the battery posts. Make sure your meter is set for the 200V range.
    Excellent observation! If he left it set on 20v, it would fault.

16. Member
    A big thank you everyone that tried to help. But especially catfan, who helped me get the knob on my meter in the right position. I am showing 26 volts now. Behind the bow plate, and under the pedal. When I push the button, it does make a click sound. Could the switch be bad, or is it more likely the motor is seized up? Once again, thank you all very much.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketheadfred View Post
    A big thank you everyone that tried to help. But especially catfan, who helped me get the knob on my meter in the right position.
    I might know some guy who has done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketheadfred View Post
    I am showing 26 volts now. Behind the bow plate, and under the pedal. When I push the button, it does make a click sound. Could the switch be bad, or is it more likely the motor is seized up? Once again, thank you all very much.
    I'd try two things. First would be to rotate your speed control from high to low a few times. Next, with motor power disconnected, spin the prop by hand a few times. Unlikely either of those will help, but I've seen stranger things and it won't cost you anything to try. After that, if you can call John Jones while you are at the boat I bet you can narrow it down quickly.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

have a hand control TM don't use, and back when did, it 1st wouldn't run, from sitting.. the Brass Contacts in Handle would sorta corrode, clean those and zoom.. like the slot car strips rub with pencil eraser syndrome I guess lolo

19. Member
    I think I have found a reason to buy a new trolling motor. Have wanted an auto deploy, since I launch by myself quite a bit.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I might know some guy who has done that before.

I'd try two things. First would be to rotate your speed control from high to low a few times. Next, with motor power disconnected, spin the prop by hand a few times. Unlikely either of those will help, but I've seen stranger things and it won't cost you anything to try. After that, if you can call John Jones while you are at the boat I bet you can narrow it down quickly.
    There is a very good chance that it might work, as the TM was working when the boat was stored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast