Talon with Twist Step Boarding Ladder

This is how I had a TH Marine Twist Step boarding ladder installed on the mounting bracket of my Talon. I'm sure, this is not recommended by Minn Kota. But if I fall out of my rig...I want a way to survive so I don't follow all rules. Also, my wife wants me to pull the grandkids around on tubes and there's no way for them to get back into the boat. At 68 and physically pulling them out of the water is not a good option. I'm 250 lbs and the ladder felt solid when I stepped on it. I'm not recommending you do the same thing, but rather, just showing you what I did. My liability disclaimer.

I'm not affiliated with TH Marine or MinnKota Motors in any way. But I do take GIFTS. LOL

May you never find yourself in an emergency situation and have to use it.

Ernie

3. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing/ Ranger Boats Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    I like that Sir................I am like you; If I fall out of the boat I want to get back in. I am going to stick this to the top of the page.........................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

I like that! I think I want to take it one step further by adding a handle on the Talon.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling11 View Post
    I like that! I think I want to take it one step further by adding a handle on the Talon.
    Would like to see a photo of what you come up with. I may want to add the same. Good idea.

6. Member
    I saw something similar done with a power pole. Is there one specifically made for it?

7. Member
    The only other one I've seen was where the e-ladder was mounted to the jackplate. I couldn't see myself trying to squeeze between the Talon/PP and motor to get back into the boat. The Minn Kota mounting bracket is extremely strong and is why I decided to mount it there.

8. Member
    Very nice, I have been looking for something like that and I just removed my 360 and all the brackets. I love that setup, you have shown me the way Thank you...
    Jason Bubier - Director
    NorCal90 Fishing Events &
    WildWestBassTrail - Ca. Teams
    530-230-8868
    530-589-2601
    ajbubier@sbcglobal.net

9. Member
    That really looks great and useful. I have power poles instead of talons. Has anyone installed a twist step boarding ladder on a Power pole pro model? If so would you send a picture?

10. Member
    Pretty much what I have in mind. Great to see images but anyone tried it with tilting bracket or would that not work out?
    I'de like to have one attached to boat but have yet to install port side sandwich bracket with 12' Talon with tilting bracket.
    Hope to get going (installation) as soon weather cooperates here in VA.
    Anyone out there come across or have any idea on attaching this ladder on boat or something else that would do the job?

Did you have to drill holes into the ladder metal bracket to work with Talon bracket?
    That is, I noticed the TH twist ladder has holes in the metal and noticed there are bolts that may come off leaving it like your images. If you or someone confirm that part comes off, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 03-20-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Additional question

11. Member
    The Twist Step was aligned and clamped to the back side of the Talon Bracket extension that attaches to the jackplate. (3rd & 4th pic).

The two holes nearest the Twist step were drilled using the holes in the Talon Bracket extension as the guide. The other two holes were aligned in the center of the Talon Bracket and drilled through the Twist Step bracket, the Talon Bracket extension and the Talon Bracket. Bolted together using stainless steel bolts, washers and lock nuts.

I'm 250 and tested the strength of the ladder in the shop. The thing was solid as a rock. The Talon jackplate bracket that I have on the boat is a beast.

Now...I hope I never have to need it in an emergency.

12. Member
    Thanks a bunch for replying and explaining the set up. If I may on these questions you might be able to answer.
    1) I noticed you were missing part of ladder plate the one having 2 holes to mount (the bolts found on the side), do they come off?
    That is, you don't have the part that extends out and if it does comes off.

2) I believe you don't have a jackplate like I do. So the bracket should be pretty much perpendicular to transom (straight up/down).
    Mine on the other hand jackplate / engine are at an angle (not too much) and Minn Kota bracket would follow same angle.
    So the ladder would also be at an angle. I guess no way you know until it's installed.

3) I did buy the tilting bracket. Looking at your set up having a tilt bracket in place, do you think it would be an issue?
    Like proper clearance,

I hope to get going on this project soon. I can pick up a TH relatively inexpensively near home and want to make sure it's going to work out. Any more information you can pass on would be great.

13. Member
    The Twist Step came with the Phoenix. Because I had the Talons, the dealer had to remove them because they wouldn't work with the Talon. I didn't have any additional piece on the Twist Step plate. I have the Talon Jackplate bracket attached to an Atlas jackplate. I just purchased a couple used Tilt brackets, but haven't had a chance to get them put on. I'll let you know when I get there.