Lithium Battery and SHO

I am using Lithium batteries and have a SHO 225 in the morning when the battery is at 14 plus level I get a motor shut down if I run the tack over 4500 RPM's but later in the day once the battery drops be low the 14 volts mark there is no problem. So is there a high voltage shutdown for the SHO?
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Is this a LithiumPros Battery?

3. Banned
    Interesting...on a wet cell I see 14.2v all day long when motor is running and it never shuts down on me. Some one told me once that yamaha charging system is not strong enough amperage wise for lithium batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Will W/ Lithium Pros View Post
    Is this a LithiumPros Battery?
    No it is a 12v 100AH Relion Lithium Battery.
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Interesting...on a wet cell I see 14.2v all day long when motor is running and it never shuts down on me. Some one told me once that yamaha charging system is not strong enough amperage wise for lithium batteries.
    It only happens first thing in the morning after the voltage drops it is fine.
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired

6. Banned
    There is no over voltage shut down on the motor.

Some Yamaha tachometers will flash to indicate an over voltage but that is about it. Best I recall the over voltage point on the tachometer is about 16 volts.

Many Yams (mostly the smaller HP ones) have voltage regulators with an output in the 15+ volt range. But there is not enough current to do any harm.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Might be that the battery is shutting itself down for an over charge. If you leave it on charge all night, then crank it and it starts charging again it may be overcharging. If you have a meter on the battery unless it goes below 13 I wouldnt charge it. If you do, unplug it at soon as it charged. It usaually want take long to charge the Lithium batters.

You dont want to leave them on a charger like you do regular batteries.

8. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Might be that the battery is shutting itself down for an over charge. If you leave it on charge all night, then crank it and it starts charging again it may be overcharging. If you have a meter on the battery unless it goes below 13 I wouldnt charge it. If you do, unplug it at soon as it charged. It usaually want take long to charge the Lithium batters.

You dont want to leave them on a charger like you do regular batteries.

Kind of what I was thinking also. The BMS within the battery is shutting it down, thinking that the battery is being overcharged as Hickory suggested.

Well I found out why you need the jumper. I have the cable for the YDS Diagnostic so I ran it from the motor to the boat insode. This way I could run it at any time but it did not have the jumper connected.
    Well all is well until you get above 4500-5000 RPM then the motor just stops running. Jumper is in now and she runs normal. Just some info.
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired

10. Member
    What jumper is that? I'm looking at the same battery. Relion said that they have heard of some problems with the battery/motor "resetting". Here is the quote from Mr Bergstrom..." The battery and charging system operate correctly but sometimes the system shuts down for a milisecond and resets the system. "

Anyone else running a Relion cranking battery and SHO with problems? Is the Jumper a sure fix? Sorry if I'm hijacking, but I was just gonna ask my question and I saw this thread...

No the jumper is part of the normal setup. What I did was I removed it not knowing it would cause the motor to shut down. I was trying to make it easier to read my motor from counsel instead of having to remove the motor cover every time I ran the YDS Diag. I have had no problems with the Relion batteries at all.
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired

12. Banned
    The YDIS diagnostic port on the motor is supposed to have a cap on it when not being used. The cap has a wire to jumper two of the three pins in the connector.

I think that is the jumper which is being discussed.

On Yamaha MOTORCYCLES, I have extended the diag wires so that I could put the port at a more accessible place then just plugged the jumper in up there. Made plugging in to race bikes much easier when I didnt have to remove a seat and/or bodywork.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"