Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Here's another "noisy curado" problem. I have a Curado 200i with 15 lb. mono. It casts great and the retrieve is very smooth, but about every other cast or so it makes a loud buzzing noise as the line is leaving the spool. Casting distance doesn't seem to be compromised at all. Any idea what it is?

2. Member
    Oil the brake drum

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    You may not feel it being rough, unfortunately you are not able to "load" that bearing so I would change that out as they can feel perfectly good then turn ugly when under a load. 9.9 times it is one of the pinion support bearings, either the internal or the XShip. I suggest replacing the XShip bearing with the bearing out of the MET 13, they are lubed differently and seem to be lasting much longer. Dan
    Thanks for the reply Dan. The reel is actually under warranty still as it was purchased in May 2016 and I'm considering sending it to Shimano once the weather turns to crap up here in northern Illinois.

4. Member
    I had the same issue with a chrinarch ci4+, Noisy buzzing casts intermittently. I oiled the brake drum and it would help but not solve the issue completely. Shimano told me to add a tiny dab of grease on brake blocks that are turned on. Ever since then I have not had any issues with the " buzzing/ screachihg " sound any longer . FYI it does not affect casting distance or hamper anything else.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike son View Post
    ...... My 200i does this on occasion, or at least I tend to notice it when the fishing is slow . I've taken every bearing out of the reel and cleaned them in acetone thoroughly, and when turned with my finger on a dowel, I cannot feel anything rough and it's not any noisier than unlubed bearings. This leads me to believe that in my situation it is the gears. I did also check to see if it was the level wind by turning the handle with the drag backed off all the way and it is quiet.
    As a follow up to this I finally disassembled my 200i to figure out the problem.

I removed the handle side plate and removed the x ship bearing first. While holding the handle side plate against the frame in its place, I put the handle and nut on the driveshaft and spun the handle. The noise was still there, ruling out the x ship bearing.

Next I reinstalled the xship bearing but this time removed lower pinion support bearing. I then held the handle side plate against the frame in its place, put the handle and nut back on and spun the handle. No noise that is similarly described by the OP, a sound of sand inside the reel while reeling.

With at least either the x ship bearing or lower pinion support bearing installed while testing, it allowed the pinion gear to remain in proper alignment(or at least close enough) to allow me to figure out which was the faulty bearing. Holding the handle side plate against the frame in its place saved time by not screwing in any of the screws that hold it in place. In my case the faulty bearing in the lower pinion support bearing. Now to order one!

Change both and order them for the Metanium 13, you'll be glad you did. fishshop.shimano.com you want the BNT 4194 and BNT 3927. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Change both and order them for the Metanium 13, you'll be glad you did. fishshop.shimano.com you want the BNT 4194 and BNT 3927. Dan
    Wouldn't they be the same bearings out of the Curado I? The x ship and lower pinion support bearing in the Curado I are the exact same part numbers as the bearings in the Met '13.

Do you or any of the other site sponsors have these bearings in stock? Shimano is sold out of BNT 4194 for at least another month. They also want to charge me $6 for ground shipping one bearing or two.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike son View Post
    Wouldn't they be the same bearings out of the Curado I? The x ship and lower pinion support bearing in the Curado I are the exact same part numbers as the bearings in the Met '13.

Do you or any of the other site sponsors have these bearings in stock? Shimano is sold out of BNT 4194 for at least another month. They also want to charge me $6 for ground shipping one bearing or two.
    We have an upgraded bearing in stock at The Tackle Trap for around the same price. Give us a call tomorrow at 256-281-6160

9. Member
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. I have been dealing with this same issue on my 201IHG for several years and i wish i would have seen this thread sooner. I replaced the ARB and then the gears and did not know that there was even a bearing where you guys are saying. I ordered the new bearings per your comments (thank you).

When i replaced the gears, it actually fixed the reel for a very short time, i fished with it a bit this weekend and the noise is back. My assumption is that the gears being so tight and new it somehow put less load on the bearing? My question is, when you guys have fixed this problem before, did you find you had to replace the gears as well? I'm worried that i already might have wrecked my new set of gears by not fixing the bearing issue.

Additionally, i have several 201E citicas that feel "geary", particularily on reels that i use a lot of high resistance baits on like cranking. I got new gears for these reels aswell but not new pinion bearings, i have always cleaned and lubed my reels every year but never even looked or thought about the pinion bearings, so those never got any oil. i will now go and oil all of them, but i was wondering if this bearing is also a common failure on the "E" series reels? The sound/feel is different with my citicas, definitely a more geary feeling.

10. Member
    I fixed a used 201 that had the same issue. Same story as others, I replaced all the bearings I could see and the reel was still gritty. Finally looked at the diagram and figured out where this one was located. Mine was corroded and pretty hard to get out of the pocket. I was worried about breaking something forcing it out of the blind pocket.

Since this is a low speed bearings, I packed it with Cal's grease, hope that will last longer than oiling them. To pack it, I got a dollop of grease on my finger and press it into one side of the bearing, forcing the grease through the shield into the bearing. Just like you pack wheel bearings in the old days. Take care with the little spacer washers, they are tiny and will stick to the side of the old bearing.

-RIchard

11. Member
    I m having same problem as well. I hope cleaning support bearing will work, but it sounds like it is the pinion gear.

I have one with Boca's I will sell. I can't get over the sound. Trade for a Tatula. I am done with Shimano.

13. Banned
    I have had a hate for the new Shimanos for quite a while. However, the ones I have fixed with this same issue, I have used new frame bearings to fix the problem. I know it was the pinion bearing under the clutch being the culprit. But with the quality of the bearings, I change them all with a better bearing that is a helluva lot cheaper than what you will pay for through Shimano. As a matter of fact, I use the same brand for all reels that I repair with bearing issues, and keep plenty in stock. When I buy them I pour some synthetic gear oil on the vial and let them soak. Smooth, quiet, and no problems. As a matter of fact Im going to be changing all the frame bearings in the Scorpion Antares I am currently restoring with them. Im sure the ones that Bryan has at The Tackle Trap are 10X better than the Shimano ones as well.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    I have had a hate for the new Shimanos for quite a while. However, the ones I have fixed with this same issue, I have used new frame bearings to fix the problem. I know it was the pinion bearing under the clutch being the culprit. But with the quality of the bearings, I change them all with a better bearing that is a helluva lot cheaper than what you will pay for through Shimano. As a matter of fact, I use the same brand for all reels that I repair with bearing issues, and keep plenty in stock. When I buy them I pour some synthetic gear oil on the vial and let them soak. Smooth, quiet, and no problems. As a matter of fact Im going to be changing all the frame bearings in the Scorpion Antares I am currently restoring with them. Im sure the ones that Bryan has at The Tackle Trap are 10X better than the Shimano ones as well.
    where do you get these better bearings?

The one I can't deal with is a 200. I am putting it on the for sale forum. Is it different than the 201?

16. Member
    All 5 of my newest Shimano's have had bearing issues. I switched back to Daiwa.

17. Member
    My new curados have had a few problems with noise, but they are workhorses. I bought a new curado and new chronarch ci4 2 years ago and my curado perfromed just as well as ci4. I own 8 I series now.

Mine is in the forsale forum now

19. Member
    I know this is an old thread but I've dealt with this on the 17 scorpion dc and I'm on my second set of gears. New gears smoothen it up tremendously but if you chuck and wind with it, it'll just get rough again. I've replaced both pinion bearings too. I think the problem resides with the gear material. I've had this problem with 13 mets and met mgl's that see some punishment and I replaced that aluminum drive gear with the brass drive gear from a curado k and it's unbelievable. Buttery smooth. Why shimano chose to save a few grams with a duralumin drive gear is beyond me.

20. Member
    Have these bearing issues been resolved in the Curado K or can one expect them to have the same issues?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast