UFP-DB 42 vs UFP DB-35

Long story but I believe my brake piston is locked up on my 2002 Ranger Trailer with UFP DB 42 brakes. I have replaced the Coupler UFP A 60 and Solenoid. Bled breaks with a pump system. Bled both brakes in fact just to be certain I got it right. I am confident I did.

I am not getting any piston pressure applied on my brakes. After some research I have concluded that my pistons are likely corroded and frozen. As I shopped for new UFP DB 42 (same model I have now) I learned UFP advises an upgrade to the Newer DB - 35.

Anyone have any experience with this swap? Or the DB 35 in general?

I am not wanting to alter my brakes lines for a new system. Way I see it, I got 14 years out of the UFP 42, do I need something better?

2. Member
    I had the same problem with my db-42s. It's an easy swap. Hardest part for me was getting the existing brake flange bolts off because they had seized. Just have to make sure you bleed your brakes properly. I also ended up getting the aluminum caliper db-35s, and new rotors as well because I wanted to go back to grease hubs.

3. Member
    you have Ranger Trail? Brake flange bolt, which is that? the brake line or how it attaches to brake assembly? I understand the 42 has a single bolt attaching to the assembly while the 35 has 2 bolts to attach.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    you have Ranger Trail? Brake flange bolt, which is that? the brake line or how it attaches to brake assembly? I understand the 42 has a single bolt attaching to the assembly while the 35 has 2 bolts to attach.
    I have a 2007 Stratos trailer. Yes, the brake flange bolt is used to mount the brake assembly to the axle. It's been awhile since I replaced them, so I don't remember how many bolts my 42s had, but 35s do have two.

5. Member
    The DB-42 uses a mounting bracket that bolts to the brake flange with 4 bolts. The caliper then hangs from the bracket by a single bolt. Strip the axle down to the bare flange and mount the new rotor, then drop the caliper over the rotor and attach through the two rear holes on the brake flange with the bleeder facing up. Torque the bolts to 55 ft lbs.

6. Member
    Thanks to both of you!

Took my DB-42 off my tandem trailer & threw them away. Replaced with Kodiak Dacromet. Works great.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Thanks to both of you!
    Hello friend, a question. I have seen that he has made UFP DB-42 brake conversion to kodiac brakes kit. In what trailer has the conversion been? I have a trailer ranger trailer (521 vx 35th anniversary) and I wanted to replace the db-42 brakes with better and more modern ones. Thank you very much

Yes, I did replace mine with the Kodiak brakes, replaced the rotors also, figured I would do it all at the same time. This was a simple conversion, just bolt on. One of the brake guys at eastern or UFP ( don't remember which) said the brake flange plate would not fit. Totally wrong, fit perfectly. Kodiak brakes compared to UFP, there is no comparison. Like switching from model A to Corvette. I also replaced the A-60 coupler with the new self-latching one. Combination was really good. At the time this was on a 2004 Nitro 929 with tandem trailer. Couldn't believe the difference in stopping power. Hope that helps

10. Member
    Thank you very much Tracer 1 for your answer. Is it mandatory to change the entire front coupling / actuator or will it also work with the A60 PFU actuator?

No you don't have to change it, it will work, the actuator I changed to was the new version of the A60 just self latching. I just changed mine because the solenoid was leaking & just thought I would change it out. Same thing with the rotors. The DB-42s had gouged them up a bit so changed them out also. Was just in the change out mood then, LOL.
    This is the assembly kit I used: Kodiak HRCM-10-K. That was the complete assembly with Dacromet finish. Again, I was told the mounting plate would not match up with the UFP spindles, but they were wrong, the 4 bolts lined up perfectly. Good luck with whatever you decide. One other thing, if you change them out, use the top bleeder valve to bleed the brakes. Don't use the bottom valve.